Looking for a property

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

meah

Hi Everyone,

I currently live between London and Hong Kong, but have just sold one of my companies and i no longer need to spend anytime in Hong Kong. So i'll be looking to split my time between London for 6-8 months and the Caribbean for 4-6 months per year.

So I'm doing some research into buying a property in the Caribbean and would like some advice and help from the collective wisdom of this forum.

Based on the below i'd be really grateful is someone could suggest the places i should be looking and where my i can get the best value for my money.

Many Thanks
Mike

Budget - £1 million (GB Pounds not US Dollars)

- 3-4 Bedrooms
- I don't mind if it's new build or an older property as long as it has character and it doesn't have other properties on top of each other.
- Swimming Pool with space for sun loungers, and outdoor dining.
- All rooms need to be spacious
- Beach front (or very close to beach/sea). Sea views are a must
- Good choice of restaurants, bars and some shopping within close vicinity
- Close to a good 18 hole golf course
- A safe area with which to live with a good local community
- 1-2 Garages

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
The original poster is asking for advice only.
Anyone using this as an excuse to advertise properties for sale will receive an infraction and offending posts will be deleted.

L

LynPet

Hi Everyone,

I currently live between London and Hong Kong, but have just sold one of my companies and i no longer need to spend anytime in Hong Kong. So i'll be looking to split my time between London for 6-8 months and the Caribbean for 4-6 months per year.

So I'm doing some research into buying a property in the Caribbean and would like some advice and help from the collective wisdom of this forum.

Based on the below i'd be really grateful is someone could suggest the places i should be looking and where my i can get the best value for my money.

Many Thanks
Mike

Budget - £1 million (GB Pounds not US Dollars)

- 3-4 Bedrooms
- I don't mind if it's new build or an older property as long as it has character and it doesn't have other properties on top of each other.
- Swimming Pool with space for sun loungers, and outdoor dining.
- All rooms need to be spacious
- Beach front (or very close to beach/sea). Sea views are a must
- Good choice of restaurants, bars and some shopping within close vicinity
- Close to a good 18 hole golf course
- A safe area with which to live with a good local community
- 1-2 Garages
Hi Mike,
Have you considered buying in St Lucia? We bought a home there in the Cap Estate area to the north of the island, near to the golf course, sea and with restaurants and shopping close by. I have spent time on the island by myself, as well as with my family, and we have always felt safe, secure and very welcome! Thoroughly recommended as a caribbean destination, and I think you'll find that you will get much more for your money than buying in Barbados.
We bought a resale 3 bed house which we refurbished (new windows, bathrooms, lighting) and we extended the outside terraces and built an infinity edge pool. We had a few problems with the first contractor we used, but managed to find a second one who did an excellent job for us, and now maintains the property for us...
Good luck with your purchase

M

meah

Hi Mike,
Have you considered buying in St Lucia? We bought a home there in the Cap Estate area to the north of the island, near to the golf course, sea and with restaurants and shopping close by. I have spent time on the island by myself, as well as with my family, and we have always felt safe, secure and very welcome! Thoroughly recommended as a caribbean destination, and I think you'll find that you will get much more for your money than buying in Barbados.
We bought a resale 3 bed house which we refurbished (new windows, bathrooms, lighting) and we extended the outside terraces and built an infinity edge pool. We had a few problems with the first contractor we used, but managed to find a second one who did an excellent job for us, and now maintains the property for us...
Good luck with your purchase
Thanks very much for the tip, i shall look into it.

L

LynPet

Thanks very much for the tip, i shall look into it.
No problem!
We have spent holidays in Barbados as well as St Lucia, and to be honest, we much prefer the latter. Whilst Barbados is undoubtedly more developed, St Lucia is a much more attractive island with its mountains, rainforests and of course the Pitons. We too wanted a home we could use during the winter months, and we found that we could get much more for our money in St Lucia compared to Barbados. We are also cricket fans, and whilst Barbados does have more international cricket, there is usually one day matches on St Lucia, and its only a short hop to Barbados should you want to go there!

M

meah

No problem!
We have spent holidays in Barbados as well as St Lucia, and to be honest, we much prefer the latter. Whilst Barbados is undoubtedly more developed, St Lucia is a much more attractive island with its mountains, rainforests and of course the Pitons. We too wanted a home we could use during the winter months, and we found that we could get much more for our money in St Lucia compared to Barbados. We are also cricket fans, and whilst Barbados does have more international cricket, there is usually one day matches on St Lucia, and its only a short hop to Barbados should you want to go there!
Been having a look around and it seems that to get what i truly want, i have to pretty much double my budget. Obviously have to just get out there and take a look around some stuff in various places.

I was in Barbados for the Cricket World cup. I was with a group of guys and we stayed in Silver Sands. Fantastic place to be with zero tourists and a totally local community that were so hospitable.

We took a trip up the West coast and it was basically Fulham/Chelsea in the sun. Revolting kids using Mummy and Daddies credit cards running around everywhere thinking they were important and special. Not for me.

L

LynPet

Been having a look around and it seems that to get what i truly want, i have to pretty much double my budget. Obviously have to just get out there and take a look around some stuff in various places.

I was in Barbados for the Cricket World cup. I was with a group of guys and we stayed in Silver Sands. Fantastic place to be with zero tourists and a totally local community that were so hospitable.

We took a trip up the West coast and it was basically Fulham/Chelsea in the sun. Revolting kids using Mummy and Daddies credit cards running around everywhere thinking they were important and special. Not for me.
Yes, we did the 2007 world cup too, but in St Lucia! I've been to Barbados for the West Indies Tour in 2009(?) where we did Barbados and St Lucia.

I would think your budget will buy you something great in St Lucia. Try www dot bluereefrealestate dot com and look at Cap Estate.

Lynn
x

D

Debra Ball

Hi Mke,
Try searching on Right Move they list overseas property, this may help with your research and is a good place to start.
Good luck for the future
Debs

calebcoverdale

calebcoverdale

There is a Caye not far from Belize - that has been for sale.... it's an island.... not sure what it's called. For your price range, I think they may sell it. It's a pretty place! If you scour the web you will definitely find a place.

N

nick25

Hi, have you considered Granada the beaches and scenery are beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.