Living in Egypt

How much does it cost for two to live well in Egypt?

• 300€ or less per month

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • 400€ per month

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • 500€ per month

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • 600€ or more per month

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters
Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
Hi Alison, personally I do not accept payments from my clients. I ALWAYS recommend that all payments go through their lawyers client account. This way you have a complete audit trail in case of disputes later.

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Hi Alison, personally I do not accept payments from my clients. I ALWAYS recommend that all payments go through their lawyers client account. This way you have a complete audit trail in case of disputes later.
yeah this what I was tellg peter us as agents never like to involve ourselves in payments

L

Lsab

Just thought Peter, sounded from my thread as if I don't trust my own agent, which is completely untrue :D

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi when we 1st went ahead with purchasing - prior to finding this brill forum - you can say I was rather naive and just done what I was told. As far as Im aware the money has been passed onto the developer.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
Alison I was speaking generally; its just our policy, our job is to find property and we prefer that lawyers take care of the money. In some instances sending cash to Developers may be fine but not all are good at money management and I just feel that as a matter of principle, using a lawyers client acount is a safer option. In your particular case your agent is a good guy and I am sure you will have no problems.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Peter - thanks for your comments - I dont want to start worrying at this late stage!! As far as I am aware all is safe and sound with regards to the monies but if I bought again I would look into the process more. Buying abroad is a learning kerb for many and this forum is great for sourcing info and help because sometimes you just dont know where to start looking for answers.

Regards

Alison

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Hi Peter - thanks for your comments - I dont want to start worrying at this late stage!! As far as I am aware all is safe and sound with regards to the monies but if I bought again I would look into the process more. Buying abroad is a learning kerb for many and this forum is great for sourcing info and help because sometimes you just dont know where to start looking for answers.

Regards

Alison
As long as you got reciepts and invoices and confirmations from the developer company that they got your money this is ok :)

J

Jeremy Sturgess

How does schooling work on the red sea - is it all private? If so, what sort of cost is it and how does the quality of education compare to the UK? My son is 3 and while I was originally looking for an investment, having now visited I am coming round to the idea of leaving the UK. But have to make sure that my son can still get decent schooling when it's time for him to start in about a year. Also are there any good nurseries?

I went around the El Gouna school today for the first time with the Headmistress Mrs Bolton. I was very impressed. I hope my eldest son will go there in September into year 4 if the wife can be persuaded to leave cairo. Facilities were just as good as at BISC and they have a huge swimming pool. Mrs Bolton seems a traditional educationalist which I like. Fees are much less than BISC in Cairo which is a help too. Details on their website I expect.They have a nursery in the school as well which looked good. Most teachers are english and follow the UK curriculam. I suggest you visit the school and make your own judgement but I think it is a very good selling point for Gouna to have a good school on site. I understand that there are about 400 students of which 200 odd are bussed in from Hurghada each day presumably because its better than whats available in Hurghada.

I havent had reason to visit the hospital yet in Gouna but I understand thats pretty good too by all accounts.

Good luck with your property search

Jeremy

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
I went around the El Gouna school today for the first time with the Headmistress Mrs Bolton. I was very impressed. I hope my eldest son will go there in September into year 4 if the wife can be persuaded to leave cairo. Facilities were just as good as at BISC and they have a huge swimming pool. Mrs Bolton seems a traditional educationalist which I like. Fees are much less than BISC in Cairo which is a help too. Details on their website I expect.They have a nursery in the school as well which looked good. Most teachers are english and follow the UK curriculam. I suggest you visit the school and make your own judgement but I think it is a very good selling point for Gouna to have a good school on site. I understand that there are about 400 students of which 200 odd are bussed in from Hurghada each day presumably because its better than whats available in Hurghada.

I havent had reason to visit the hospital yet in Gouna but I understand thats pretty good too by all accounts.

Good luck with your property search

Jeremy
Dear Jeremy
Yes El Gouna school is good and they are now much bter than before specialy when Ms. Bulton is back she is an amazing person I know her since long time, for El Gouna Hospital its realy Good but sometimes they have shortage of Expert doctors so you have to select the doctor :) you can trust

L

Lsab

Yes as I understand it things weren't so good when Mrs Bolton left - for the teaching staff anyway. I know that my friend who teaches there was going to leave last year but is happy to stay now that she's back.
On a different note, something that might not effect any of you or maybe not for some years...university! Our son is still just over 3 years away from that but if you're out of the UK for a number of years you're no longer classed as resident and would have to pay uni fees as an overseas student. This comes in at between £9K and £18k a year!! If you're back in the UK for the three years before the start of university you should be okay but it's not at all straightforward.

V

vix

Yes as I understand it things weren't so good when Mrs Bolton left - for the teaching staff anyway. I know that my friend who teaches there was going to leave last year but is happy to stay now that she's back.
On a different note, something that might not effect any of you or maybe not for some years...university! Our son is still just over 3 years away from that but if you're out of the UK for a number of years you're no longer classed as resident and would have to pay uni fees as an overseas student. This comes in at between £9K and £18k a year!! If you're back in the UK for the three years before the start of university you should be okay but it's not at all straightforward.
It can actually be as short as 6 months, depending on what contributions you have made to the UK economy during that time, ( basically, if you have paid tax into the system or not). Also whether you have maintained a UK residence, which you class as your 'main residence'

L

Lsab

That's true - unfortunately for us, we haven't been able to do that even though we return to the UK for a few months of the year. It's becoming quite a headache to come up with the answer.

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
That's true - unfortunately for us, we haven't been able to do that even though we return to the UK for a few months of the year. It's becoming quite a headache to come up with the answer.
Isab if its difficult for British to Educate their kids if live outside Uk, so what will be the situation if I want to send my kids to have their Education there and me Egyptian?:confused:

J

Jeremy Sturgess

Isab if its difficult for British to Educate their kids if live outside Uk, so what will be the situation if I want to send my kids to have their Education there and me Egyptian?:confused:
Dear realestate . if you want to educate your kid in the uk dont worry the english will happily take anyones money ! But i wouldnt bother - over 50% of the uk population now go on to university as opposed to well under 10% 25 years ago so the value of a university degree (oxford and cambridge excepted) has been so debased that no sensible employer pays much attention to it these days. Save your money and teach them how to sell real estate and they will do fine !

queenie40something

queenie40something

Teach your kids a trade - hubby is in the building trade and our son has worked with him from the age of 17. Paul has never in 27 yrs been out of work in the UK ( everyone needs houses built, repaired, roads repaired, pipes re - layed ) and he has worked for the same firm from the age of 16. I am a Motor Insurance Underwriter and so is my daughter, this is compulsory in the UK, every needs to eat and everyone needs their hair cut.
Sometimes kids can go to Uni for yrs and still be unemployed at the end of all their hard studies. Get a City and Guilds in plumbing and you won t go far wrong.
What does our youngest want to do!! dont know?????? I try to tell her to look at what Mr Average needs but it falls on deaf ears. She just doesnt know and I think there are so many choices out there for them but they need to be realistic. She really likes media, photography and graphics but what are her chances of working for a magazine or newspaper??? Chances are she wont go to Uni. She has said she wants to work in childcare but I desperately am trying to talk her out of that one / or it will be chef!! even worse. Choices choices - just glad Im not a teen and Im in my 40's looking to live the dream in Egypt!! xxx

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Teach your kids a trade - hubby is in the building trade and our son has worked with him from the age of 17. Paul has never in 27 yrs been out of work in the UK ( everyone needs houses built, repaired, roads repaired, pipes re - layed ) and he has worked for the same firm from the age of 16. I am a Motor Insurance Underwriter and so is my daughter, this is compulsory in the UK, every needs to eat and everyone needs their hair cut.
Sometimes kids can go to Uni for yrs and still be unemployed at the end of all their hard studies. Get a City and Guilds in plumbing and you won t go far wrong.
What does our youngest want to do!! dont know?????? I try to tell her to look at what Mr Average needs but it falls on deaf ears. She just doesnt know and I think there are so many choices out there for them but they need to be realistic. She really likes media, photography and graphics but what are her chances of working for a magazine or newspaper??? Chances are she wont go to Uni. She has said she wants to work in childcare but I desperately am trying to talk her out of that one / or it will be chef!! even worse. Choices choices - just glad Im not a teen and Im in my 40's looking to live the dream in Egypt!! xxx
Yeah Queeni your opinion is true and my bigest worries my childs future and career, that is why I try to do my best to give them what i couldn't have, give them my experience, to have the choice either work with me in my own company or they have the choice to decide what they want from life, me it tooks me around 8 years of different positions in different industries till I know what i want to do in my life, what i can achieve and what the best i can be successful at it needs time so I wonder if my childrens will be ablt to know sometimes it takes all you life to know what you wana from it