Flights

T

teekme

Hi all.
We travelled with Astraeus from Gatwick on 25th January. The fights cost us £240 each. The 757 was only half full. This could be one of the reasons why carriers are thinking twice about their flights to Hurghada. It is very easy to fill a plane full at popular times but in the wilderness months it is another matter.
Simon

P

propertastic

I really don't understand why there are so few flights from the UK.

I was doing some analysis and was amazed how easy it is for the rest of Europe to get to Hurghada.

Stockholm, (which is a fifth the size of London) for example, has four carriers on the route plus three from Gothenburg and one from Malmo.

Germans, Austrians and Swiss have equally as much choice.

When you look at where all the flights are coming from, it looks to me that Brits can't comprise more than about 5% on the visitors to Hurghada at the moment.

A

awahee123

Banned
I think we are all missing a major point here,there are many flights available,I think what we all want is cheaper flights.If some carriers are finding it difficult to fill their seats at the moment, then why would any business, increase traffic and reduce prices to this area?.
Whilst my TC flight was full to and from Hurghada this last week there were still a few empty return seats available.What we must all recognise is, it's big business and losses are easily made in the airline sector,so maybe what we really should be looking for is for more traffic to This part of Egypt to bring down the prices.

P

propertastic

January is the slowest month of the year for air travel, so the situation is not normal.

I remember in October and November everyone was saying how hard it was to find available flights and accommodation then.

crombiestone

crombiestone

We are going out with Astraeus at the beginning of March which we got for £218 . If they are flying half empty you would think that they would lower the seat prices to get the planes full .

We flew via Luxor last year for £100 so there must still be some profit even at this price .

On a more positive note XL will be flying from Bristol on Sundays from 2nd November 2008 .

Last edited:
L

lovesquadsue

Good news on XL as if they can see the route is feasible then maybe the other airlines will start to follow suit!
Fingers crossed.
I must admit that last year when we were looking for flights I couldnt find any available seat for certain weeks from any airport other than London. We are in St Helens so ideally flights from airports as south as Birmingham or as north as Leeds would be ideal for us.....

P

propertastic

I understand that currently it is often cheaper to book cheap packages than to buy flight and accommodation direct.

Can anyone point me to any websites where you have found some really good deals in the past?

P

philthecar

we have had good deals on travelrepublic and freedomdirect in the past with packages. Give them a go

J

J4hurghada

Banned
the cheapest flight company I have found is going direct to XL or direct to mytravel going through agents will cost more, I have looked through companys alot, but with booking direct you get better deal if booking early.

P

propertastic

Following a very frustrating two hours, during which time I have now gained a new admiration for travel agents who have to try and wade through such a bewildering variety of options for every customer, my research shows me that Watson's teletextholidays.co.uk seems to beat all of the others by quite a wide margin when it comes to 'super cheap'.

I compared all of the options given here, plus some of the bignames like lastminute.com and travelocity.com, but nothing else really came close to it.

As a yardstick, I was looking at a 7 night holiday, leaving Gatwick around 8 Feb with two adults sharing and the best deal I found was GBP316/person staying at the Sea Garden Hotel.

According to TripAdvisor, the Sea Garden doesn't even look like a bad hotel either.

A

awahee123

Banned
The sea garden is fabulous I have stayed there,the only thing is it's in sekala down a dead end road very near to the marina,you have access to the beach to the side of the hotel via a card system (towel card )which is supplied at reception f.o.c.
It is very near to the ministry of sound.
It's very nice inside and really is on a par with some of Egypts 4 star hotels however it is currently 3 star,very clean with friendly staff.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi I always find Bookable Sun holidays offering accommodation and/or flights to a variety of destinations including Egypt, Spain and the Canaries cheap. They have hols flying out 12th Feb from £282 at Sand Beach, £288 Zac Royal Wing, £296 La Perla and Arena, £307 La Perla HB, Jasmine Beach £325 all Inclusive!
Also lots of others under £350.

Cheap package holidays, late deals and all inclusive holiday bargains abroad from directline holidays have Sea Garden 12th Feb for £304

Getting better Direct holidays, Cheap holiday and last minute holidays to UK holidaymakers. has Sea Garden £265 on 12th and price includes inflight meals and transfers!! and 26th Feb is £275

Cheap holidays, package holidays and last minute flights - Packyourbags.com is also another cheap site. Sea Garden 12th £304

J

jeremy bright

Following a very frustrating two hours, during which time I have now gained a new admiration for travel agents who have to try and wade through such a bewildering variety of options for every customer, my research shows me that Watson's teletextholidays.co.uk seems to beat all of the others by quite a wide margin when it comes to 'super cheap'.

I compared all of the options given here, plus some of the bignames like lastminute.com and travelocity.com, but nothing else really came close to it.

As a yardstick, I was looking at a 7 night holiday, leaving Gatwick around 8 Feb with two adults sharing and the best deal I found was GBP316/person staying at the Sea Garden Hotel.

According to TripAdvisor, the Sea Garden doesn't even look like a bad hotel either.

last November was looking in to a trip over to hurghada to visit the village they was paying for the me to view and pay for the trip if i bought so was looking around to get a cheap package so contacted teletextholidays was offering to stay at 1001 nights for around £300 so booked it but was phoned buy teletextholidays saying there was only one seat available on the flight and as was going with a friend was no good for me so they offered alternative but was £350 so in the end found was cheaper to book it direct and teletextholidays was still advertising the package on line as still had that one seat to sell also i stayed at the Sea Garden Hotel last year was ok but in down town the person i was with told me was wurst place she had ever visited at the time but i thought hurghada had potential and now have bought in the hurghada village

queenie40something

queenie40something

Cheap flights to Sharm

Hi all they have flights going out 7th Oct and returning 21st October for just over £100 per person return including taxes and 20kg baggage allowance. Bargain.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
Queenie you will have to rent your apartment for those flying to sharm then getting ferry next day to hurghada, you could make a bit extra towards the maintainance.

Those flights no go to us using manchester airport but soon should be available from manchester (lets hope).

queenie40something

queenie40something

Queenie you will have to rent your apartment for those flying to sharm then getting ferry next day to hurghada, you could make a bit extra towards the maintainance.

Those flights no go to us using manchester airport but soon should be available from manchester (lets hope).
Hi Jayne - what a fab idea - anyone thats interested let me know as it is only 10 mins from Sharm airport - you can also get a flight from Sharm to Hurghada from as little as £12.50 each way with Egyptair which would be easier and quicker than the ferry ( 50 mins ).

When added together it will still be a heck of alot cheaper than flying from UK to Hurghada and well worth the saving.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Just checked XL for same dates and for 3 people it is £843 return and Thomson £1196.94 - some difference!!

C

CMChris

I've heard on the diving grapevine that Easyjet will not be 'giving' any diving equipment allowance, unlike other airlines but all diving equipment will have to be part and parcel of your total allowance. You will not be able to buy more allowance at a reduced rate for diving equipment either. So it doesn't really open up any more flights for a lot of people.

queenie40something

queenie40something

I've heard on the diving grapevine that Easyjet will not be 'giving' any diving equipment allowance, unlike other airlines but all diving equipment will have to be part and parcel of your total allowance. You will not be able to buy more allowance at a reduced rate for diving equipment either. So it doesn't really open up any more flights for a lot of people.
Hi their website says you can carry sporting equipment at a charge. These are on their website. Think it was £15 per item up to max 50kg