Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015

K

Kevin Crocker

Premium Member
On Friday 1st April 2016 the Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015 came into effect.

Essentially these regulations give tenants the right to request consent from their landlord to install energy efficiency improvements in the property they rent; the cost of which will be met by the tenant. The landlord cannot unreasonably refuse this request.

The attached link takes you to an in depth guide, providing an overview of the steps a tenant must take; the steps a landlord must take when considering an application and the steps a tenant must take to appeal a landlords decision.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tenants-energy-efficiency-improvements-provisions-guidance-for-domestic-landlords-and-tenants

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Very interesting thanks Kevin!

At the moment we pay the bills on behalf of tenants so it won't effect us too much, good to understand though.

It sounds good for landlords especially if the improvements are paid for by the tenant... I wonder if tenants have to leave the upgrades in place if they move out? I can see issues there...

K

Kevin Crocker

Premium Member
Very interesting thanks Kevin!

At the moment we pay the bills on behalf of tenants so it won't effect us too much, good to understand though.

It sounds good for landlords especially if the improvements are paid for by the tenant... I wonder if tenants have to leave the upgrades in place if they move out? I can see issues there...
Hi Nick,
The regulations allow for extensive, structural changes such as heat recovery systems and solar panels. These obviously can't be taken by the tenant once they leaves. Councils are concerned that unscrupulous landlords will allow for energy efficiency measures to be installed in the dwelling and then evict the tenants. I'm not sure if there are safeguards in pace to stop this course of action.

Also, are tenants going to want to fund costly improvements on a dwelling that isn't theirs? This could go the same way as the Green Deal.

Kevin