Advice on taking the plunge

U

uk_jimmy

Hi all. I've recently retired, and following a lifetime of spreadsheets and British weather I am seriously contemplating moving in search of sunnier climates. The wife I think will need some persuading, but I think we deserve it!

I've obviously been on holiday before, but am really looking for advice from those who have done it in the past. I'm contemplating Spain, as it is close to the UK (in terms of geography but nothing else!) so that we can stay close to the grand kids. I guess really I'm asking... is this a decision I'm taking too lightly? As an older gentleman I am wary of foreign sharks (not the type that swim mind),having seen numerous cases of people being ripped off when making the move abroad. Am I being over-cautious and paranoid?

Thanks in advance

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
Hi Jimmy,

Welcome to the forum.
I don't blame you for wanting to escape from the cold harsh climate of the UK.
We moved to Cyprus 7 years ago and have never regretted it for one minute.
However I would caution you to be very careful about the area you choose and who you deal with.
Spain in particular has more than its fair share of sharks (Mostly Brits unfortunately) who will rip you off as soon as look at you.
Don't be tempted by the companies who offer cheap inspection trips. They will babysit you the whole time you are there, using hard sell techniques to persuade you to buy something because it gives them the best commission.
Go over independently and look around to see what is available.
If possible try to go for a resale property rather than off plan and make sure that you use an independent lawyer and not one recommended by the vendor/developer.
You ask are you being over cautious/paranoid.
No, you cannot be too careful when buying abroad.

good luck
Veronica

E

expo09

I agree with Veronica's caution. Before moving abroad (especially if you don't understand the language) you need to make sure you understand any property laws and regulations you will be dealing with. Make sure you do your research thoroughly. Unfortunately, you are going to have to trust someone to take care of a lot of things for you and this can open you up to being ripped off. Make sure you research someone's credentials before you deal with them and take into consideration recommendations.

M

maggiew

That should be the common dilemma of people who decide to move anywhere. There is always that risk of being ripped off. Just don't trust people immediately. Be extra careful and inquisitive. In no time, you will be more and more familiar with the place and you will be minimizing the risk you fear about.