A Place in The Sun's 20 Best Money Making Locations

How many of you have either bought or are seriously considering any of these markets?

• 01. Romania *** Winner ***

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • 02. Poland

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • 03. Portugal

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • 04. Baltic States

• 05. Sweden

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 06. Belgium

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 07. Slovakia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 08. Slovenia

• 09. Finland

• 10. Hungary

• 11. Luxembourg

• 12. Germany

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • 13. Czech Republic

• 14. Ireland

• 15. Austria

• 16. Netherlands

• 17. France

• 18. Italy

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • 19. Spain

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • 20. Cyprus

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Emma Jane

Why is Turkey not on the list? Turkey is probably the top regarding property investment opportunities!
And TH4S is absolutley right, season is long, theres a high demand for property....i know, i work for a big development company down on the Turkish Riviera. And the flights are 3 and half hours, weather is fantastic...winters mild. What more could you want?
Turkey is developing fast recently and im sure that we expect a property boom very soon....

I

Investy

TURKEY;

The bomb side of things is not an issue for me, people have very short memories and life just has a way of going on despite such events.

The reason it does'nt work for me is the same that applies to most touristic areas - RENTALS ARE TOO SHORT.

I know a chap owns a nice contemporary villa in Calcan overlooking the town cove. Problem is he gets at best 4 months rent per year. TAKING THE COST OF HIS MORTGAGE IN THE UK, THE LOSS OF INTEREST ON HIS DEPOSIT, THE MANAGEMENT & OTHER COSTS TO INCLUDE THE MANY REPAIRS THAT CROP UP, HIS YIELD IS ABOUT 2% PA.

I invested in Saidia Morocco as the rent season should be extended to the maximum possible for a touristic property. This is driven by onsite (not down the road) golf (3 courses),onsite massive marina, 500 shops (lucky to get 5 in most Turkish developments),western cinemas, bowling alleys, many onsite gyms, fitness and leisure centres, sports parks, several spas, its own 6km beach (again on site - this is crucial),own small hospital, onsite rental agents and 11 on site 4 and 5* hotels to promote the development for free!!

Turkey certainly has it's attractions and I really enjoyed my holiday there but until they come up with a sSaidia type developmnent it is'nt an investment that stacks - up.

Furthermore the Turkish property competetion is intense and that definitely will check prices and rents just as in Sapin and Florida.

Saidia is one of 6 Plan Azure Governemtn developments whcih will provide some 20,000 privately owned properties, but thats a drop in the ocean against 10m + visitors expected by 2010. There are non Government developments but I think the 'Royal' Plan Azure developments will have a niche.

Last edited:
D

DC

We may be doing some development things in Romania, we have some big city clients looking to invest in romania and the banks are being quite good with money too, so romania has promise.

G

Guershky

Romaina could work if accesion to the EU is fast tracked + interesting tourism aspects and bucharest is attracting a lot of R and D developemnt from nes business

However Although it has already gone up in value I think the right RE in Poland is still a better investment than Romiania as the country is more accesable to business and will advance faster + rising middle class looks to be the wealthiest in the eastern block region and the education system seems to be advancing the fastest. Also their new government seems very free market reformist and they are well on the way to Euro accesion - for the price difference I am not sure Romania is worth the extra risk.

Thats just my opinion not to sure about coruption but you do have to set up a business and put up with some rather archaic accounting regs!

D

dave99

Anything more recent

Hello All,
Above is a poll of the short list from the TV program's 20 best places to make money in the next 10 years - in the EU. The top represents the number 1 money earner over the next 10 years - Romania and the Bottom is number 20 - Cyprus.

How many of you have either bought or are seriously considering investing in any of these markets?

Regards
Flex
At this point in time - Nov 2007 - this list has no credibility without Egypt being on the list.

I

Investy

Investors need to consider repatriation of funds, for example how easy for your kids to get the sale proceeds should you die?

It is little things like this that trip - up a lot of investors.

Status
Not open for further replies.