Flights

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi I got return flights only for 2 weeks in Oct for just £100 each per person. We wouldnt get a package holiday to Sharm for 2 weeks for that price. The flights need to be booked early to get the cheaper fares. They tend to go up because the airlines know they will sell them to business men etc who need the flights at a moments notice.
A villa or apartment tends to give you far better quality accomadation for your money with the flexibility of self catering with mod cons such as plasma tv, dishwasher, washing machine. Some families cant afford to holiday in a hotel and eat out all the time.

iain

iain

Hi Lysos,

fair point about prices and it won't get better with rising fuel costs. From my point of view though, I wouldn't want a winter break in the algarve, too cold ecept maybe for golf.

Also winter in Egypt is lovely with warm seas to swim in and don't forget the pull of the coral etc for divers.

Living costs in Egypt are low and there are some facinating day trips available to upper Egypt, Jordan, mt sinai etc which adds to the attraction of a somewhat differnt destination.

Only time will tell how our investments work out, but it's not just about a price comparison with standard European destinations.

Iain

L

Lysos

Hi Ian,

Agree it's not just about price comparison - for the moment; it may well be in the future. If you have bought just for personal use that's one thing; those looking for rental return may be disappointed, and if they are dependent on that to fund the mortgage they will have problems. I reitereate - if the hotel package is cheaper than the stand alone air fare, who is going to be renting these thousands of apartments ?. (This applies everywhere, not just Egypt).

queenie40something

queenie40something

Alot of members have bought for their sole use with no intention of renting out. I agree with Iain. We go to Egypt because it is guaranteed year round sunshine. If anyone wants to rent ours then the extra money will come in handy but we are not banking on it.

L

lovesquadsue

We are the same - more for personal use with us both being self employed its somewhere for us to just get away to whenever we get a spare few days/weeks! As with queenie we will offer the place to friends and family and any income generated is a bonus - but it cant be relied upon.
The only thing I would say is you might be able to get to place like Portugal/Spain..etc.. a lot cheaper but these countries are seasonal and I guarantee you will spend more than double what you would spend in Egypt! One of our friends has just come back from Majorca and spent over £1000 in a week - just him and his wife (and they had rain one day)!!!! That would last over a month in Egypt!
So - on the positive side for Egypt, it might cost more to get there but you are more or less guaranteed the sunshine and the extra its costs you on flights you will save on spend when you get there! Swings and roundabouts as they say!
Plus - my Dad has owned a place in Southern Spain for a long time and he was telling me that the price of flights to there when they first started going where really high because there werent that many available - look at it now!
Also, I have found that a lot of my friends and family are interested as a lot of hotels dont offer rooms big enough for them all to fit in - especially if there is more than 2 adults and 1 or 2 children which means getting 2 rooms and the adults being split up plus then you have the extra costs involved in that! Plus they are thinking that games consoles and dvd's etc will keep the kids occupied and are things you wouldnt get on a normal package deal....
Each to their own anyway - best of luck to everyone and hopefully in 10 years time we will all be happy bunnies!

L

Lysos

Sue,

I can well understand the attraction of winter sunshine - I actually had to dig out the fan heater two weeks ago, in June !.

However, and forgive me if I misread your last, are you suggesting that you think the number of flights to Egypt will increase and come down in price ?.

Most airline business models are based on a $50 barrel oil price, and they cannot continue for long at today's prices (which in my view are caused by speculators, not the rules of supply & demand). You will be aware that all three business class only services between UK & the USA have gone bust, Swiss (which replaced Swissair) lost $1 billion last year, Alitalia is all but bankrupt, Easyjet is planning to close its' hub in Dortmund and today United Airlines announced it is laying off 950 pilots.

My concern is that we face the possibility of a return to the time when flying was the preserve of the rich & famous.

Realistically, how much time do you think you will be able to spend in your holiday home ?.

R

RayCharles

The way its going here,we are up to making that decision of the one way flight.No more worries of raging taxes and fuel costs then.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Too true - we have bought with the intention of living in it in a couple of years. Alot cheaper than staying in the UK.

O

Organics1

How To Get To Hurghada From Portugal

Dear All,

Has anyone flown to Hurghada from Lisbon airport? If so how did you do it?

I am planning a trip shortly but have become stumped with how to get there. It seems like the easiest way is to fly to the UK and catch one of the budget airlines there but there must be another way.

A kind member mentioned to me once that I can get there via Madrid but I have no idea with what airline that's with.

All help and suggestions welcome

Kind regards

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi - Alitalia fly from Madrid to Cairo where you can then get a flight to Hurgh with Egyptair

Egyptair fly from Madrid to Hurghada but it will stop in Cairo.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Update from Easyjet

Hi all

I have just received the following email from Easyjet

We inform you that due to operational reasons the check in opening and closing times for all easyJet flights departing from Sharm El Sheikh (SSH) Airport will be different from other airports. This new measure has an immediate effect and will be in place until further notice. The check in opens 3 (three) hours prior to the scheduled departure and closes 1 (one) hour prior to the scheduled departure. Please, note that this is exceptional and only applies to the above airport.

J

johnwayne

Banned
EASYJET - has anyone any more info on flights to Hurghada? I am on their newsletter for updates - but nothing recieved; Have been on their website - no telephone number to contact them but there is an FAQ page - which doesn't answer this question. Any more info - anyone pleae?

L

Lsab

Just reading A Place In The Sun - says that from 13 Feb next year Jet2.com are launching a new service from Leeds Bradford to Sharm leaving once a week on friday mornings and returning on Friday evenings. Flights start at £167.99. Great news for investors as it's bound to have an effect on property prices. Great news also for Sharm owners living in the Yorks area.
Details Jet2.com

W

wayne_harris

Hi,
I have just sent an email to easyjet asking if they are considering flights to Hurghada in the near future as there is quite a few of us asking. Will let you know the answer when and if they get back to me. They have emailed me back before about the filghts but said they don't know at this moment in time. Hopefully they will have some idea.

Dawn -x-

aisha24

aisha24

Sorry, to all those interested in Easy jets flights from Gatwick to Hurghada, I have just gotten of the phone with their Customer Experience center LOL it was an experience but not at all good.
They state that there will not be flying this route at all.
They were in fact very rude when i asked why this was, they have no answers to this but just kept repeating that they fly to Sharm!

S

SuziQ2708

Sorry, to all those interested in Easy jets flights from Gatwick to Hurghada, I have just gotten of the phone with their Customer Experience center LOL it was an experience but not at all good.
They state that there will not be flying this route at all.
They were in fact very rude when i asked why this was, they have no answers to this but just kept repeating that they fly to Sharm!
Awww that's a shame, oh well their loss :( Thanks for the update Aisha. I still find the cheapest on line flights from Gatwick to Hurghada is Book Cheap Flights, Hotels, Package Holidays, Car Hire & More - Flightline.co.uk Keep checking the prices for next year £338 pp next July, can't find cheaper :rolleyes:

aisha24

aisha24

I am traveling to Hurghada from Gatwick next Friday .. found a new site well its new to me.. Blue o Two
flight was only £299.. this was without in flight food.. but who cares I can always stock up at the Airport..
this is an XL air flight not the most comfortable but never mind.
Flight times are also not bad .. please feel free to check out their special deals

J

johnwayne

Banned
hi aisha24 - and thanks for the info on Easyjet - I would really like to know why they have stopped - do you have a phone number for them - thanks