Electric drills/curtain poles etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tstbubbles

Hi guys,

What do you all do with regards to having curtain rails and shower rails etc installed? Do you buy drills out in Egypt and DIY, do you pay a local handyman onsite or does everyone take a drill over in their luggage?

Sarah :)

john'n'kate

john'n'kate

Hi guys,

What do you all do with regards to having curtain rails and shower rails etc installed? Do you buy drills out in Egypt and DIY, do you pay a local handyman onsite or does everyone take a drill over in their luggage?

Sarah :)
Hi Sarah,
As tools in general seem to be cheap nasty Chinese stuff, I took a drill out with me..and some drills, plugs etc and did it myself, however labour is cheap in Egypt and if you're not that good at DIY or can't be bothered I would hire someone to do it for you.

aisha24

aisha24

Hi Sarah,
If you do employ some one to do this for you make sure you stand over them every step of the way. This is vital they have their own ideas as to how things are done.
Give directions in anyway you can including sign language if you have to.
I have had a few issues with this once they get the first couple right its ok but dont leave them to complete this without supervision or they invariably put them up too high , or crooked.
I will do this myself next time when I can bring my drill from UK.
Saves a lot of stress...

john'n'kate

john'n'kate

Never..ever leave them to their own devises (well some of them. We seem to be painting them all the same colour here) This is how we had an external wall knocked down and given extra floor area without being asked!!:rolleyes:

aisha24

aisha24

Also why my cream walls were painted yellow despite actually picking out the paint from the chart...
Ho Hummmm

Red Sea

Red Sea

Banned
ohh I have my sink destroyed coz worker thought it will look more enice if he fixed the accessories in left side not in the right place where is a hole :( can't find explaination for it so far but any way as advised when you bring workes not a company to fix your things stabd on their heads

W

wellheld

Hi guys,

Sarah :)[/QUO

A spirit level would be useful!!!! and get your own stepladder EVEN if you are employing someone. The men(from the curtain shop) arrived to fit my curtain poles without one and wanted to stand on my dining chairs with a stool on top!!!!!!. The electrician used the gas bottle, and the the kitchen worktop, which was not close enough so job not finished..... I could go on. And I will... the plumber fixed the leak, with the ever useful white plaster/grout stuff and also managed to block the basin waste pipe. I left on holiday immediately it was finished, so it had set solid by the time I got back. Happy days.

W

wellheld

And a friend told me about a towel rail that was installed level with the shower rail, yes that's 8' up the wall!!!!
There are good workmen here, but they are hard to find.

queenie40something

queenie40something

The plumber fitted my dishwasher and ended up cutting through the pipe and flooded the apartment!

N

nubianqueen

oh come on people! there are good craftesmen everywhere! dont be too harsh on egyptian craftesmen, i have met and used some good ones!

nubianqueen

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi NQ hows u hun??

Yes the craftsmen are fab eg furniture makers but my experiance of plumbers and builders is not good!

E

ERG Experts

I agree, there are a few good handymen out here, just ask around when u get here. If not then I also agree to watch their every move. I have come home from work before (luckily just in time) to a flooded home with my husband having called out a handyman to fix the washing machine. He was just about to dismantle it, drill in hand, when I asked to check it myself first and all that had happened was my daughter had pulled the drain out the wall, so simple!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.