Buying in Dahab, South Sinai

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rashidi

Hi,

I've read that it's not a good idea to buy in Dahab because the bedouins may one day turn up and claim the land is theirs, and try to take it over.

Is this true still?

Is it not possible, wise, advisable to purchase in Dahab even with proper contracts and paperwork in place?

I would love to hear from people who have purchased in Dahab and "happily ever after..." :)

Thanks

A

Alan Cockayne

Banned
Sinai Peninsular

Hi,

I've read that it's not a good idea to buy in Dahab because the bedouins may one day turn up and claim the land is theirs, and try to take it over.

Is this true still?
Sinai is a Government Protectorate. It is and will always be in government hands.
It prevents further Israeli occupation and in law stops anyone owning outright, land which could be sold to third parties. Hence Usufruct Ownership when registering your properties.

Bedouins have the right to use and live on these territories, given that they are the "aboriginal" decendents. Often used for security and interior information, their knowledge and business skills are commendable and good for the Egyptian economy. Some have abused their position however, but the Government are always aware of them.

The key is always doing due diligence on any project, whether in Sinai or on the Mainland. But to find who are genuine developers it costs promoters a sizeable amount for each search. Individually it is almost impossible to tell who lies and who are honest.

I see lots of Estate Agents who have little knowledge of this country, tagging Red Sea information to their presentations and depending on local lawyers doing D.D. and registrations. That could be like throwing your money to the wind. You make your choice and take the consequences.

Alan.

L

Lidia

Yes Alan, however you just can't compare Sharm El Sheikh (enclosed and controlled resort) to Dahab. As a consequence, Sharm and its residents recive attention and protection you will not receive in Dahab.
This thread was related to Bediuns' claims, which I also have heard of from legitimate owners of land in Dahab (purchased before 2004). I will not be replicating posts related to Sinai ownership as it has a dedicated topic.

Due dilligence check is always a must - not only in Egypt but anywhere else. And I agree with you that most agents don't run any checks although promoting 'safe' projects. Funniest though are the 'AIPP approved' ;) .

Not sure what your procedures are - ours require having a check done by a qualified attorney prior to signature of any documents or making payments by our clients. In the end, it is a responsibility of the purchaser, however we do our best to help and ensure security of their investment.

Regards
Lidia

C

Cherry House

Alan ,Lidia,
as an Egyptian lady & work in the real estate buisness as well. I have to say that Bedouins sometimes are more easy going than some of the developers here in sharm who didn't keep their words in delivering the properties to the buyers in time.
what i'm always recommending is to keep away from buying offplan unless you are quite certain of the developer profile.and go for the ready built homes.

there are ready built homes in dahab that u can buy and enjoy
make sure that the properties have its correct documents of contract ,power counter applications from the city council

A

Alan Cockayne

Banned
what i'm always recommending is to keep away from buying offplan unless you are quite certain of the developer profile.and go for the ready built homes.

there are ready built homes in dahab that u can buy and enjoy
make sure that the properties have its correct documents of contract ,power counter applications from the city council
This has turned out to be the best policy.

There is wisdom in being able to see a finished unit especially if there is a showhouse. It is how Brits normally buy. We take enquirers around properties that are already renting out to holidaymakers which show how valuable their investments become.

Off-plan properties with early price-offers are fine if you have the patience to wait and to collect the true due dilligence of the development and its developer. Trusting locals to give you this information is not the best scenario. However I do agree, my experience with Bedouine businessmen has always been exemplary.

Alan.

S

SHARM-SERVICES

On the original topic...

It is better to steer clear of Dahab as a general rule BUT there are some great and legal deals that can be got there. The advice is to just always check the title of deed thoroughly before entering in to any agreement, as well as the other aspects of the due diligence of course.

As Alan & Lidia correctly say, a proper due diligence check should be made by a trusted lawyer before any purchase anywhere in the world.

When it comes to avoiding property off-plan, whilst this is very valid advice, it could also unfortunately lead to missing some fab property at great pre-built prices. Some off-plan property can be very profitable, even if it is late most buyers would agree it was worth the wait. When buying off plan, try to choose the developers who are known to have the funds to finish the projects (not rely on sales of property to generate the money to build) and also those with previous projects where you can see their standard of work (or those with showrooms as Alan points out).

Status
Not open for further replies.