ad

What are my rights after renting for 16 years?

G

Guapa9

Hello readers,

By Law, what are my rights to a rental property after paying my rent at the same property for 16 consecutive years?

Do I have right to a partial share of the property? (UK)

I have rented from a private landlord.

Looking forward to your advice.

Thank you in advance.

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
You have the same rights as any tenant no matter how long you have been renting.
Renting long term does not give you the right to own any share of the property.

F

FWL

While there has been talk of the Labour government in the UK giving tenants the right/option to buy the private property they rent, there is nothing that I am aware of yet. At the moment it is a simple tenancy arrangement where you pay rent to live in the property and that is as far as it goes.

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
But having the right to buy is not the same as having a right to a share just because you have been renting for years.

P

PostBrexitInvestor

I do not understand how the laws in the UK escpecially now seemed tilted in favour of tenants even though:-

a. Landlords own the property
b. Landlords have taken all the risk buying the property
c. Tenants are free to go to any other property should they wish

@Veronica Can you understand why this shift in regulations?

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
Are you saying that landlords will now be forced to sell to tenants? This dosn't make a lot of sense as it will deter people from buying to let and cause a shortage of rental properties long term. After all who is going to put money into a property if they be forced to sell it just because someone has been renting it from them?

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
However the OP seems to think that renting for years means they actually become part owners without even having to buy which is nonsense IMO.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
The Labour Party has mentioned the possibility of offering tenants the right to buy whether or not landlord’s consent. Bizarre? This will never make the statute books.

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
No way will this ever come to pass. To force property owners to sell against their wishes would be totally bizarre.

D

diyhelp

Hi @Veronica,

The thing is, in the UK there is a shortage of private rental property and council housing so:-

a. What is the purpose of selling off private housing/council properties
b. If they did this with private property then nobody would invest in UK property

The truth is that Labour will say and do anything to get into power but when they get into power it will be a whole different ball game.

R

realdeals

Surely this is a no no from a legal point of view? The government cant just go selling peoples property without their consent. Surely?