ad

Unfair Ground Rent Charges

M

Martingy

Hi.

I have a dilemma and would appreciate any advice.

I live in Guernsey and have two flats in Manchester that I rent out.

I am always having a problem with ground rent charges. I understand that the invoice for the charges has to be delivered to a UK address. My tenants are very unreliable with any post and seldom forward post to Guernsey with my name on it. The ground rent company refuses to send a copy invoice to Guernsey or a copy in the email.

Because of this, I am always getting late payment charges because I haven't paid on time.

I was going to pay this January on time but was told to hold on and contact the ground rent company in February to find out a new increased charge.

I received an invoice from one tenant but not the other. I paid £500, which the full amount of one invoice and a nominal £227 to make a payment for the second flat, I was expecting an email saying how much difference I owe.

However I received 2 late payment charges from a debt collection company totaling £750. For a £46 short payment.

I have received no other correspondence since I made the payment of £500.

How can they charge this horrendous when they never gave me an invoice for the second flat in the first place.

Can they do this?

As I said, they refuse to send me copies of the invoices.

I have paid thousands of pounds in fines over the last 3 years due to them not sending invoices.

Thanks for you help.

Martin

A

Adam Hosker

If the notices are required to be served on you at a UK Address - then you can purchase a mail delivery service. Some do collection only but others will scan and email you the correspondence.

This will enable them to send invoices? and you can request a copy of such invoices?

If you do have a dispute then follow there complaints process, it is then possible to go to Tribunal (employ solicitor to attend on your behalf?).

You should check your lease for what charges may or may not be charged - if they are limited and to what amount they may increase the ground rent (if any).

If you have this issue next year - id suggest overpayment. Then asking them for the funds back thereafter? they should have no grounds to hold onto overpaid funds.

T

totallyproperty

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Martin,

is it not possible to set up a direct debit payment so that money comes out automatically, and then perhaps they can just email you a paid invoice copy? It does sound very frustrating! I can't understand why they wouldn't want to email you invoices as it saves so much money and time!

Failing that... do you have any contacts with a UK (family, friends etc) that you could arrange to receive the mail?

K

kchiggs

Scanmypost.co.uk is an excellent service. They open scan and shred it you just download.

N

nmb

Surely they can use email these days? Email you a copy of the invoice as well as delivering to your UK address?

K

kchiggs

That works if you have a .uk address(obviously if you use the above or a competitor you do whatever country you may live in.

N

nmb

How is your post secured from possible use with ID theft, etc?