UK regional developers moving ahead

Regional developers on the move in the UK

UK regional developer Linden Homes has announced £14.5 million in regional land deals that could see construction under way as early as October this year.

The company said it is a sign that the building industry is weathering the downturn and it is determined to invest and build new homes for the future.

Locations at Milton Keynes, Longstanton in Cambridgeshire and Bingham in Nottinghamshire have been earmarked for 187 new homes, subject to planning permission.

The sites have been carefully chosen to reflect current housing, local amenities and their proximity to road and rail networks, the company added.

Linden Homes already has a strong presence in each of those areas. House designs and overall schemes are now being finalized before being put to planners. The company says it will ensure the new developments will enhance and compliment their surroundings.

‘This is a huge positive for us as a company, but also for the house buying public particularly in the areas where land has been acquired,’ said Linden Homes land director Mike Walker.

‘It is a further demonstration of Linden Homes’ confidence in the market and our continued commitment to provide good quality homes for 21st century living and lifestyles in great locations,’ he added.

Planning permission for the Longstanton development has already been granted, with details of the 77 new home schemes now being finalized. The Milton Keynes scheme at Westcroft is suggesting 67 homes, and a further 90 homes at the Bingham site.

Regional developers believe that the key to selling new homes it to offer what people really want to buy. Builder David Wilson South Midlands, for example, has incorporated starter homes into its developments that are aimed at first time buyers.

The one-bedroom apartments start at £114,995 and are proving popular because they have been designed to feel like a bigger home with open plan and sociable living space. ‘They are easy to maintain and these properties are all lease hold which means that the purchaser can enjoy a landscaped garden outside their very own window but without the hassle of having to maintain it themselves,’ said Jackie Day, sales director at David Wilson.

The developer has also signed up for the Government’s First Buy initiative that allows buyers to initially buy a property for just 80% of the asking price. The remaining 20% is funded by a deferred loan from David Wilson and the Homes and Communities Agency. With this deal, homebuyers can secure a new home with just a 5% deposit.

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>