ad

Would a wood-burning stove improve your home?

R

realdeals

In years gone by the introduction of a wood-burning stove was seen by many as something of a luxury with very little in the way of real value. However, fast forward a few years and emission regulations are tightening, home surveys now require an eco-friendly review and there is a move towards more eco-friendly heating systems. So, while in years gone by a wood-burning stove was more of a statement piece than a value piece, are things starting to change?

Might stove owners start to see significant potential savings compared to traditional heating systems?

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
As the cost of gas and electric continues to rise I think there will be more potential cost savings to come. Whether it actuallty adds any value to your home is a different matter.

R

realdeals

I spent a few days at a holiday cabin a few weeks ago and there was a wood burning stove in the place. Have to admit that I tried and failed a few times to light the stove but I got there in the end. There is no doubt that the deep seated heat is very different to any other form of heating - it is also very relaxing and will send you to sleeepppppp

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
We have underfloor central heating but there are times when we light the wood burner just for the sheer comforting feeling we get from it.

D

diyhelp

Hi @Veronica

Until you’ve actually experienced the deep seated heat of wood-burning stove it is impossible to write about it. I’m not quite sure how but it creates a very different atmosphere, more relaxing and what a great way to drift off to sleep!

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
Hi @Veronica

Until you’ve actually experienced the deep seated heat of wood-burning stove it is impossible to write about it. I’m not quite sure how but it creates a very different atmosphere, more relaxing and what a great way to drift off to sleep!
Agreed. Watching the flames from your bed has a mesmerising, almost hypnotic effect..

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I agree @Veronica and have to say those installing a woodburner just to save money do not fully understand the experience. I was at a holiday cottage once which had a wood burner, the atmosphere was very different to any other type of heat you could think of.

billrichard

billrichard

It totally depends on the need. But i don't think it add any value to the house.

T

teriastiles

It won't to be honest but you will definitely save money on the utility bills.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
Hi @teriastiles

I have heard different views on whether you can save money on your bills - do you have a wood burning stove?

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
Hi @teriastiles

I have heard different views on whether you can save money on your bills - do you have a wood burning stove?
For us having a wood burner does save a bit as we have access to cheap logs. The heating oil for our underfloor heating is very expensive here in France so being able to delay putting it on by a few weeks saves quite a bit, also we can have it set at a lower temperature that we would need if we didn't have the wood burner to supplement it. So I suppose that whether or not a wood burner saves on fuel cost would depend very much on individual circumstance, location etc.

F

FWL

One small note of caution, you do need to be careful with your budget because the headline cost of the stove could be doubled when you take into account installation and the various additional equipment required. The majority of stove companies will give you a free estimate as to the overall cost, so make use of it!

NewOrleansHomeBuyer

NewOrleansHomeBuyer

New Orleans Property Investor
I don't think it is going to add value to your property. Perhaps as part of a whole rehab and positioning strategy you might include it but I don't think that just adding it will increase the property price more than the cost.

P

PostBrexitInvestor

I am not sure I agree as I think a holiday let would be enhanced with a wood burning stove - you cant quite beat the atmosphere it creates :)