world cup cities

debzor

debzor

Just announced:

Belo Horizonte, Brasilia, Cuiaba, Curitiba, Fortaleza, Manaus, Natal, Porto Alegre, Recife, Rio de Janeiro, Salvador and Sao Paulo were given the go-ahead to stage games in the tournament.

Belem, Campo Grande, Goiania, Rio Branco and Florianopolis were the five to miss out.

brackenhoe

brackenhoe

Yes and because Joao Pessoa is centrally located between 2 host cities, it seems some of the teams will be Headquartering there! Yipee!

D

Dotty

Banned
That's a fair way from here.Why would they choose a location that's 3 hours away?Though J.P is really lovely,the only hotel offered at 3 star is the Tambau Tropical.Will they be rapidly building much needed new hotels in J.P ?
Yes and because Joao Pessoa is centrally located between 2 host cities, it seems some of the teams will be Headquartering there! Yipee!

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Judging by what I saw in South Africa at the beginning of this year, FIFA will come through a year before and block book hotels in most places in between the two cities. In South Africa they were booking little boutique hotels as well as larger hotels in tourist spots miles away from the games themselves.

Regards,
Rob.

N

natalbrazil

Will you pay Rob the R$ 2000,-? :)

:)Hello, there.. was surfing through some old posts...

The proof is in the pudding now. As far as I understand you owe Rob R$ 2.000,-

Lucky him...

Kind regards
Trond

I agree that soccer is not that intresting to the yanks however lots of people live in the states form other countries. Mexico/Brazil/Colombia ect.

I will bet you 2000 $R That Natal will not be named mainly down to them making no effort to get the games. Also to close to Recife who will be named.

J

JMBroad

Hahaha - nice find...

Blc, Blc, Wherefore art thou, Blc?

:D

brackenhoe

brackenhoe

Hi Dotty, I think you have hit the nail on the head, and to me this is what the World Cup/Olympics is all about.. getting hotels and roads built to service these big events, and hopefully the ripple effect of tourism follows. In the good ole UK teams travel 4-5 hours to play matches, so there should be no bother with location... just perhaps the practice grounds!

D

Dotty

Banned
That would be nice!

There will be just 3 matches held in Natal,we've a long wait! A real excuse for having a 60's Fancy Dress Party !!

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
That would be nice!

There will be just 3 matches held in Natal,we've a long wait! A real excuse for having a 60's Fancy Dress Party !!
Which 3 matches are they Dotty?

debzor

debzor

Hi Dotty, I think you have hit the nail on the head, and to me this is what the World Cup/Olympics is all about.. getting hotels and roads built to service these big events, and hopefully the ripple effect of tourism follows. In the good ole UK teams travel 4-5 hours to play matches, so there should be no bother with location... just perhaps the practice grounds!
You are both talking about 2 different things - team accomodation and fans.

Teams want to be some distance from the stadia and will travel far if they can find the privacy, luxury and facilities they require in a base hotel.

Fans look first to the wallet, and prefer to be close!

B

Blc

you are both talking about 2 different things - team accomodation and fans.

Teams want to be some distance from the stadia and will travel far if they can find the privacy, luxury and facilities they require in a base hotel.

Fans look first to the wallet, and prefer to be close!

2013 confederations cup......

Games will be played in the follwing cities .

Rio
salvador
foretaleza
s.p
fortleaza

the above cities will benefit from media attention 2013 and 2014 ......

As well as accomadation bookings.....

J

JMBroad

Great news! (btw you put Fortaleza twice!!)

Do you have a source to confirm this?

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
The confederations cup is always held a year before the world cup in the world cup host country.

It is considered a dress rehearsal for the world cup and some nations have in the past not accepted their invitation to play as they were too busy doing other things!!

Nonetheless it still gives some great football, like Spain being beaten by the US only last week.

J

JMBroad

I was just wondering if BLC was guessing (as we did for the world cup before the cities were announced) or if the host cities had been confirmed already.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
I was just wondering if BLC was guessing (as we did for the world cup before the cities were announced) or if the host cities had been confirmed already.
Sorry I misunderstood. All I know is that it uses around half the stadia of the world cup, but it is nowhere near as big, in terms of media coverage and visitors, as the world cup.

Regards,
Rob.

C

Coqueiro

Does this mean the Mayor of Salvador is going to do something about developing tourism again in the historical centre and along the city coast line, instead of just cashing in on the condominium development super boom - lets hope so!