WORKING in egypt - employers and employees look here

A

Alan Cockayne

Banned
Finding employment in Egypt's tourism sector

While reading an earlier piece on working in Egypt, I thought I might introduce another thread which may open a window of opportunity for some professionals.

As a former UK builder, ex dive-boat captain and now real estate consultant, I think I have found another business opening. I've been involved in Egypt's tourism industry since the mid-eighties and I recognise the successes of some Egyptian residential projects that have been created over the past 25 years. Although, some I may say have turned out to be nightmare developments.

I believe it's mainly because the building industry is not regulated. In my opinion, it doesn't seem to want to be regulated.

So, my quest is for intelligent UK experts and European professionals to help me and my operations create an independent body of Quality Control Inspectors, Surveyors and Valuation Officers to run a private consultancy.

I've just returned from Sharm el Sheikh spending another 6 months evaluating the markets. It brought me to the conclusion that overseas buyers are not getting "Value for Money."

While ever the Egyptian project engineers continue to build without any form of standards or regulation, a problem will always remain within the industry. Deeds of ownership and Land Registration is the path to mortgage solutions and transfer of ownership. This is normal in the UK and Europe. How can a true value be placed on properties if there are no such independent office?

Buyers should not be led by market forces only. There are too many unscrupulous Egyptian developers after your cash, why shouldn't we have a body of honest International Engineers to assist us?

It seems the most highly praised projects are those with European Developers.
The ones I have most trouble with are Egyptian. Most don't seem to know how to complete to our standards or to timetables. There is no such phrase as "Well it is Egypt" in my book. We are not that naive.

I await the comments of your readers.

Alan Cockayne.
CEO of Coralife-Style Ltd.
Red Sea Riviera Properties.

R

redseabrokers

HI, Alan
as i understood you are thinking to make such a consultation office?
Actually, I'm very very new in real estate, but i live in Egypt for long. Agree with your- no standards, no honesty, no truth. When we have clients I cant tell them with 100% that THIS constructor will be honest and finish everything on-time and up to logic standards at least.
This makes me very upset and I dont feel confident....
I wish you good luck and you dream to become truth.!

annethedonn

annethedonn

Working in Egypt as a foreigner is not easy unless you will work unlegal
you have to check with hotels as the law gives them a 10% foreign empolyees depending on the needs of the position
My husband is Egyptian and from what he says no one cares whether you're legal or not - just get a job as they don't check visas or anything! It's not like the UK and mostly cash in hand anyway. I know that people drive around with expired licenses as no one can read the English! I asked him what you need to do he said just get a job and don't worry! The best places from what he says is to work in the hotels as they pay more.

Although I'm by no means condoning this - just passing on from one who knows.

N

Nasiya

My husband is Egyptian and from what he says no one cares whether you're legal or not - just get a job as they don't check visas or anything! It's not like the UK and mostly cash in hand anyway. I know that people drive around with expired licenses as no one can read the English! I asked him what you need to do he said just get a job and don't worry! The best places from what he says is to work in the hotels as they pay more.

Although I'm by no means condoning this - just passing on from one who knows.
I am moving to Hurghada and was told by an immigration office that I can stay there for up to 2 months with my tourist visa and then once a job is sorted, my employer would submit a work permit on my behalf and I would just change my visa over to a working visa. Is this not the case then?

Please advise!

A

andres

While reading an earlier piece on working in Egypt, I thought I might introduce another thread which may open a window of opportunity for some professionals.

As a former UK builder, ex dive-boat captain and now real estate consultant, I think I have found another business opening. I've been involved in Egypt's tourism industry since the mid-eighties and I recognise the successes of some Egyptian residential projects that have been created over the past 25 years. Although, some I may say have turned out to be nightmare developments.

I believe it's mainly because the building industry is not regulated. In my opinion, it doesn't seem to want to be regulated.

So, my quest is for intelligent UK experts and European professionals to help me and my operations create an independent body of Quality Control Inspectors, Surveyors and Valuation Officers to run a private consultancy.

I've just returned from Sharm el Sheikh spending another 6 months evaluating the markets. It brought me to the conclusion that overseas buyers are not getting "Value for Money."

While ever the Egyptian project engineers continue to build without any form of standards or regulation, a problem will always remain within the industry. Deeds of ownership and Land Registration is the path to mortgage solutions and transfer of ownership. This is normal in the UK and Europe. How can a true value be placed on properties if there are no such independent office?

Buyers should not be led by market forces only. There are too many unscrupulous Egyptian developers after your cash, why shouldn't we have a body of honest International Engineers to assist us?

It seems the most highly praised projects are those with European Developers.
The ones I have most trouble with are Egyptian. Most don't seem to know how to complete to our standards or to timetables. There is no such phrase as "Well it is Egypt" in my book. We are not that naive.

I await the comments of your readers.

Alan Cockayne.
CEO of Coralife-Style Ltd.
Red Sea Riviera Properties.

Hi Alan

I am new to this forum and just ran into your interesting post and tend to agree to your concerns.
I feel like very much joining your project, I am italian and have been involved for now about 35 years in the stone and tile installation areas. Lately I spent about 20 years as European GM of an american company involved in the manufacturing of installation systems for tiles and stones, latex, cementitious and epoxy adhesives, waterproofing membranes for pools and other products related to tiles and stones installation in industrial and residential areas.

I do feel frustration when I happen to see tiles and stone popping off or badly installed in costy apartments and often ask myself for how long they will last before they turn into an egyptian nightmare.

I will start living in Sharm from Sept/Oct 2009, I do not know if your project includes Quality Control for these type of installatations, if yes just let me know.

Andres