Will UK investors return to Spain?

F

FWL

While Brexit talks become ever more critical, threats to walk away and a likely no deal in the short-term, will UK investors return to Spain in the short to medium-term?

This is a very interesting question and one which I would like your opinions on. Even though the focus seems to be on the UK, with suggestions it could be one of the worst performing economies in Europe, let's not kid ourselves that the EU is in a much better state. There is constant chatter of support for various countries leaving the EU, continued fallout about the next budget and a huge black hole in the EU accounts as a consequence of the UK leaving. While Spain does have its attractions, for a variety of reasons, I am not so sure that UK investors will flock back to Spain in the numbers they have done in the past.

Is the UK actually separating from Europe and the European Union?

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
There is a report in the press today suggesting that the European Union is concerned that the UK economy will perform better in the short, medium and longer term. Due to the size of the EU and the fact that it will do anything to protect its "single market" I am not sure this will be the case. However, at some point UK investors will surely return to Spain with many seeing this as a perfect holiday destination and retirement hotspot. It is all good and well the politicians making changes but it will take a long time to change the cultural attitudes of UK investors who have for many years looked at Spain as a property market hotspot.

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
There is a proposal to scrap the reciprocal healthcare agreements for any British retirees who move to EU countries after the transition period. Those of us who already live in EU countries are OK because of the Brexit agreement but it could well put off anyone who might be thinking of retiring in the sun post transition as it would mean having to have very expensive private healthcare in place.

F

FWL

I never thought of that Veronica, this could well be a huge issue especially for those looking to retire to Spain because of health issues. Brexit really does the deep into the heart of the U.K.'s relationship with Europe as a whole.