Will staycation holidays catch on?

• Thread starter PostBrexitInvestor
  • Start date
P

PostBrexitInvestor

I saw some recent posts regarding holiday lets in Scotland and the challenges the industry is facing. What does everybody think about staycation holidays growing in popularity in the UK as a consequence of the virus? Or will we simply fall back into our old ways?

H

HelenBuck

I think this year (obviously) and maybe next year then be business as normal. My caravan site have had 67 new owners in less than 4 weeks! (One lot are my parents but they dont count as we already have a van haha) the site normally has 50 sale in a year max. They are having to rearrange the site because of it. I worry that some people have bought and not really thought about it, its a lot of money owning a caravan (static) and shouldnt be taken lightly, especially if renting out, im a wreck when i return as i worry about damage ocurrred as a lot do not care, as they think well (company) own it so they can afford it bot realising a lot are privately owned and let by the company (the theft is what gets me the most! but we are going off track) and when declared safe they will try to sell up.

F

FWL

Interesting, what kind of rental rates do you get for a caravan? I do laugh when people say caravan because the modern day caravan is more like a static home.

P

PostBrexitInvestor

I presume that the caravan site will pay you a set figure in order to use your caravan to rent to their clients? How does this business model work in practice?

K

karenburton1305

I think they'll have to catch on in the short period. The problem is, once we're allowed to go abroad freely again there will likely be an abroad holiday explosion! Staycations probably won't stay as popular after the pandemic because people will be so sick of the area!

D

Dora Wi

I agree that staycations won't be as popular as they are now but I see a possibility that they will remain more popular than they were before the pandemic. Many companies that switched to home office are realizing that it's actually a sustainable option for them, so they might decide to continue that even after the world goes back to normal.

K

karenburton1305

I think offices and staycations are a different thing though - from an office perspective, you're right as I know lots of companies who have just cancelled and let leases go for office blocks because it's a waste of money at the moment.

I think staycations may be more popular, but I don't think it will happen in the initial years post-COVID because there will be so many postponed holidays to take, aha!

B

bracknelson

I think a staycation holiday has proved the best option especially for people of UK region as Pi Datametrics reports show that Google UK searches for "staycation" escalated by over 500 % in July 2020 in comparison to the previous summer.

G

GaryJones97

Staycation's will definitely catch on. I came across Twinkl's blog which covered a Staycation Guide 2021 lots of fun activities listed for families to go and enjoy themselves.