Will amnesty be a reality by the end of this year?

debzor

debzor

First, I have an investment ´Permanent Visa´. The validade date on it is 02/09/2011. I am assuming that date can be extended to 2016 from reading above.

Secondly, I am wondering if amnesty could be used to obtain real Permanent Residence status. The financial burden of operating a Brasilian company is significant. Maybe I should shut down the company and apply for amnesty. Could this work?

And finally, did this amnesty thing ever happen. Reads like it was supposed to happen by the end of 2008 - no?
You really need to go back to your immigration attorney who you initially employed to do the application for the investor visa, and direct these questions to him or her.

That way you will get legal impartial advice, as well as an update on the new investor visa regulations that have just been introduced last month.

K

Kusamba

You really need to go back to your immigration attorney who you initially employed to do the application for the investor visa, and direct these questions to him or her.

That way you will get legal impartial advice, as well as an update on the new investor visa regulations that have just been introduced last month.

Thanks, I usually post on forums such as this to solicit the opinions and advice from others that may have (or had) similar situations and experiences. I am well aware that I could return to my attorney.

jeduardo

jeduardo

Amnesty is approved by Senate. Here are 2 articles published on 17-Mar-2009 and 01-Apr-2009:

01-Apr-2009
G1 > Brasil - NOTÍCIAS - Senado aprova anistia que pode beneficiar até 50 mil imigrantes ilegais

The Senate approved this Wednesday (01-Apr-2009) a bill that gives amnesty to illegal immigrants living in Brazil. It is expected that about 50 thousand people are benefited. Since the project has been changed it will return for vote in the House of Representatives.

-----

17-Mar-2009
Governo prepara anistia a imigrantes - Vida e Cidadania - Gazeta do Povo

The proposal was referred to the end of last year by the National Secretariat of the House Civil Justice, which is under review, according to the Ministry of Justice. Probably, the amnesty will be granted by decree. If this were to occur, the benefit shall enter into force immediately, this year. Another possibility is to turn into amnesty bill. In this case the initiative must be submitted to the National Congress, through the committees of the House of Representatives and the Senate, which demands more time to be put into practice.

jeduardo

jeduardo

The Amnesty Law of the Federal Government, signed into law by President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva on 02-Jul-2009, is in force until 30-Dec-2009.
The law grants amnesty to illegal aliens who have arrived in Brazil before February 1, 2009.
The law grants temporary residence for 2 years and provision for conversion to permanent visa by applying within 90 days before the end of 2 year period).