ad

Why is UK property so in demand?

PropertyMoose

PropertyMoose

Property Moose
Premium Member
What makes UK property investment so in demand? Where does UK property investment sit on a global scale? There’s a sense of pride associated with being able to say “I own a place in London,” does this count for the rest of the UK?

K

kchiggs

UK property is demand, because large portions of housing stock was sold off and not enough property built to replace it. London is popular with international investors becuase it is a first tier city. Handy for heathrow,eurostar,gatwick etc. Doesn't count for other parts in the UK expect maybe Birmingham

L

lookinginvest

People sometimes forget that the UK is one of the largest economies in the world. Employment opportunities create property investment opportunities but just now there are major concerns surrounding Brexit and the long term impact. I think UK house prices will continue to soften in the short term but longer term I believe Brexit will be more positive than negative for the UK and the UK economy.

K

kchiggs

I'm on the fence as to the long term effects. Although London is potentially a springboard to other markets for European companies in a way dublin./berlin is not. Those jobs that need european bases will likely move, the question is do the employees go with them? Does the inflow or outflow win out in the end?

N

nmb

If the UK is able to agree new trade deals after Brexit then this will snowball and help the economy. People forget, the UK has no real car industry (as one example) so surely there is potential to rebuild industries which have been negleted?

D

diyhelp

The Brexit negotiations yesterday were a complete and utter shambles. Forget about confidence in the UK property market, who has any confidence left in the UK government? Another election early next year with Corbyn standing a good chance of getting in simply by default. He has already told Morgan Stanley that he is a "threat" to capitalism. Not looking good in the short to medium term.

K

kchiggs

. He has already told Morgan Stanley that he is a "threat" to capitalism. Not looking good in the short to medium term.
I'm not so sure, it is quite possible capitalism needs threats. Corbyn (or at least whoever writes his policies seems similarly aligned to Howard Wilson ideology. The 60s produced the largest fraction of home owners, lowest cot of home ownership to income ratio, the beginning of the British IT and start up scene, practically fall employment.