ad

Why do HMO’s exist?

G

Gio

Hi there

I’m not a real estate agent or an investor, just a tenant in an hmo.

I have a simple question to ask. Who allowed HMO’s to be legal?

Why do I have to be forced to share a house with a tiny kitchen with random people I don’t want to associate anyway so that estate agents and landlords can live off of me while they have their feet up?

And only because the prices keep going up and up.

Why can’t every property be rented only as a house or a flat as it has been in Greece?

I won’t lie, I hate estate agents and I don’t think this industry should exist, too bad humans don’t care about ethics in this capitalistic society.

L

lookinginvest

While I understand some of your concerns, you are not being forced to live in an HMO are you? If it is because of the cost then this shows that you cant afford a traditional flat or home - surely this is the reason why HMOs are now so popular?

G

Gio

Of course I don’t want to be in an HMO.

So what I am supposed to keep grinding at work and end up living from hand to mouth just because the market has determined the prices should be higher?

And no I don’t have a mentality of entitlement, of course I don’t expect to be handed anything but I do believe that housing should be a fundamental human right and not a business.

I jus wish estate agents, landlords and investors knew what its like to be a normal working person just trying to make ends meet and to not be able to at least have a normal living room and some space to sit down in a kitchen and eat lunch like a normal human being like they can as they own houses.

F

FWL

I know exactly what you mean Gio. House prices in the UK and around the world have been impacted by a lack of new builds which means huge demand from buyers and investors for those for sale. The fewer people can buy a home the more are forced to rent, pushing investors to buy more homes, push prices higher and the vicious circle continues. Is there a short term solution? I am not sure.

G

Gio

I don’t know, I’m just infuriated by what negative impact a landlord, an estate agent or an investor can have on a blue or white collar worker simply because they want to turn every square meter in a house into a room and shove as many people in just so they can increase their “yield” and have “passive income”.

I’ll admit, capitalism has lifted a lot of people out of poverty and created opportunities but at the same time it has created so much inequality between those that have access to “leverage” aka other people’s money and time and those who don’t.

Ethics matter and those that have the power to push legislations like HMO should be thinking about the impact it has created.

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
Complete rubbish Lewis H Its time you were gone from this forum. Bye.