Which European property markets have caught your attention?

D

diyhelp

As we have touched on before, while much of the focus regarding short to medium term economic performance has fallen on the UK, the EU economy is also struggling. Germany is on the verge of recession; France is not too far behind despite recent optimistic signs while the likes of Spain and Portugal are still struggling. So, do any European property markets catch your attention?

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
The UK if the bottom falls out in light of a no-deal Brexit - watch this space.

F

FWL

Maybe best to look at markets I would not touch:-

Spain
Portugal
Germany
France

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I think the EU economy is in a far far bigger mess than the UK. Lets not forget Greece, still an economic basket case.

L

Locoinvestor

I think we still need to look at the strength of the holiday markets both in terms of investment and longevity. The fact remains we just do not know what is going to happen and no one can predict with any clarity, but the fact also remains that people will continue to go on holiday, and Brexit, no Brexit, deal or no deal, I cannot see that the likes of Spain and Portugal would not facilitate such a lucrative and indeed main stream of income?

P

PostBrexitInvestor

I totally agree, Spain and Portugal are heavily dependent upon UK holidaymakers and today’s collapse of Thomas Cook creates another challenge for them. It is noticeable that Spain and Portugal have not been overly critical of the UK with regards to Brexit although Spain has been trying to grab back Gibraltar!

L

Locoinvestor

I totally agree, Spain and Portugal are heavily dependent upon UK holidaymakers and today’s collapse of Thomas Cook creates another challenge for them. It is noticeable that Spain and Portugal have not been overly critical of the UK with regards to Brexit although Spain has been trying to grab back Gibraltar!
Haha you're quite right about Gibraltar! But yes, I agree, and they know where one of their main sources of income comes from and has been coming from for decades...

F

FWL

I would be interested to see the actual figure showing how much EU members would miss out on if the UK was to withdraw without a deal. I am guessing it will be huge!

P

PostBrexitInvestor

Statistics can be presented in many different ways so I am not sure I believe any of the stats associated with Brexit. The best way to monitor the impact on the UK is to watch the money markets.

L

Locoinvestor

I agree regards the stats and we are all being fed something different: speaking to friends over in Spain, they have been fed a completely different line! Goodness knows! We never actually get to the truth unfortunately!

L

lookinginvest

The main problem we have today is that nobody knows how good or bad Brexit might be. It could be the best thing for the UK economy then again it could be the worst. Personally I think we are in the midst of project fear and it will be nowhere near as bad as the sceptics are forecasting.

F

FWL

Interesting that you brought France into the conversation because post Brexit it will be France and Germany who lead the European Union. Which areas are France would you be looking at? What kind of upside do see in the short, medium and long-term?

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Greece property market which has obviously struggled of late but seems to be making a comeback? Initial indications suggested they would ban UK holidaymakers in the short-term but an announcement today by the UK government seems to suggest otherwise. Is Greece an interesting long-term play or will the debt situation eventually see the economy crashing once more?

M

meehow

Poland is an interesting option. Although property prices have risen there by a lot in the last 3 years, there is still room to catch up with some other parts of Europe. The 2008 recession didn't really have much impact there and it doesn't look like it's going to be different this time with corona. I recently bought, refurbished and sold a flat in Gdansk. Sold after a second viewing while the restrictions were peaking. The first one wanted it as well but bank asked them for a higher deposit due to corona. The demand is there.