Which area of Spain offers the best place to retire?

A

anna2

Go to the south for the sun and the accent is easier too!

E

eurolink

Why Spain ?

In 2008, Bulgaria had the lowest price level for goods and services of all 27 EU member states, according to latest Eurostat data.

The most expensive EU countries are Denmark with 141% of the EU average, followed by Ireland (127%),Luxembourg (116%),Sweden (114%),Belgium and France (both 111%).

There are a lot of people that exchange life in spain for Bulgaria/

D

DC

Hi Eurolink I think you are on the wrong page. Spain is not Bulgaria, they are completely different. People who retire in Bulgaria are different to people who retire in France, Spain or somewhere else.

Lowest price is not always the best place to live.

D

DC

Any other comments on why people think a particular area is a good place to retire.

What else is important.

Climate
Restaurants, Bars
Health services
Local Fiestas
Amenities
International Area or Spanish area
Other expats?

What do retirees look for in a place?

R

rowlandsbb

Climate and health facilities are high on the list
This has made Huercal Overa Almeria popular for those in the know!
Almeria probably has the best all year round climate in main land Europe and its modern hospital is one of the best in Europe

The person [ ex pat] who fitted some light fittings for me at my new Spanish home nearby told me that his wife fell and broke her hip early this year
Within 12 hours of it happening she had a new hip fitted at the hospital!
Excellent service all round and this is very re assuring for anyone looking to retire

P

Peterbiv

I think that all of Spain is a good place to retire, it's a very beautiful country and it really doesn't matter where you'll stay, my opinion. Just choose the area you like.

R

Ramond

On the outskirts of Fuengirola on the way up the hill to Mijas there are some excellent communities that have a mix of expats and Spanish. I have a number of friends who have settled in the general area. For retirees it maybe OK but for those who need to work it can be a little difficult finding and keeping a job.
Ramond

R

rowlandsbb

It may not be the right location for everyone but if you are thinking about retiring to Spain , a 50/50 or just a holiday home then let me show you around Almeria between Mojacar and Aguilas
You will be pleased with the prices compared with CDS both property and living....it is relatively quiet and populat with the Spanish as a holiday location
Come and have a look if you are serious bout finding your home in Spain

H

Happyhols

MadameEspana

I agree, infrastructure all completed, hotels, restaurants of all categories widely available. There is no money left to get Motril and surrounding areas up to the same standard. No developers, no construction, nada!!!!! In your dreams maybe.
We have it all here already. Why wait, you can have it NOW!!!!

H

Happyhols

It would be difficult to come up with a definitive best place to retire as peoples likes and priorities will be different.

We have lived in a number of places in Spain and would say that certain areas of Almeria and the Costa Blanca would suit us fine.
I agree, different people have different needs. Living near Malaga City with it's good transport/new airport, fine medical centres (most doctors speaking English),new hospitals and an abundance of cultural activity suits myself and my friends.
I personally would not want to be stuck out in a rural area with nothing going on. Fine for a short break but in the long term a person needs more stimulation but I would say that wouldn't I. The property prices have something to do also with where people choose. Most would be more than happy with coastal areas but sadly have not got the budget which forces them to look inland or to more rural, underdeveloped areas. Up to them hey?? I am more than happy but then I have owned a property here since 1986 so not affected so much. All the changes I have seen have been for the better. I live in a quiet hilltop area overlooking the Med but in 5 minutes I can be in the shops, restaurants, ports etc. That to me is having it all.

R

rowlandsbb

Just come back from a spell in Almeria [ Huercal Overa] and it was great- that is if you want a quiet Spanish environment

Also, forget about the £5 drink you pay on CDS .in the local bars you can get a bottle of beer for 1€
And we bought 1/2 a medium chicken from Consum for 1.8 €-does me and my wife 2 meals!

So you can live cheaply in Spain and of course the sun is great!

P

Parker123

Everyone's needs are different

It's not easy to come up with a magic formula to pinpoint the "best" place to retire to. If there was one, property prices there would be as high as in any of the major capital cities of the world.

Having lived on and off in the Catalonia region of Spain I really like it there; the weather is not as unbearably hot in summer as it is further south; the area around Tarragona has some amazingly good beaches; Barcelona has everything you could wish for in shopping, arts and culture; you are closer to the UK which makes travel so much quicker and cheaper for any UK based family and friends; the only problem might be learning a bit of Catalan, which certainly gives anyone an advantage.

S

Sally958

I wouldn't live in Bulgaria for any money.

I love where we live on the Costa del Sol in El Rosario, one exit after Elviria and 3 before Marbella. We have an excellent girl's private school which maintains prices in the area and are across the road from the local public hospital and the private one is just minutes away. The beach, which is second to none, is 3 minutes walk away from our villa and the beach bars are funky and fun and many are open all year round.

What more could you ask for?

H

Happyhols

I wouldn't live in Bulgaria for any money.

I love where we live on the Costa del Sol in El Rosario, one exit after Elviria and 3 before Marbella. We have an excellent girl's private school which maintains prices in the area and are across the road from the local public hospital and the private one is just minutes away. The beach, which is second to none, is 3 minutes walk away from our villa and the beach bars are funky and fun and many are open all year round.

What more could you ask for?
You are right Sally. The infrastructure is all in place on the Costa del Sol and in places like Bulgaria they have a long way to go to beat the services we have. Yes you can buy cheaper land, houses etc in these countries but buyers should beware as there is nothing much to offer for healthcare, schooling and general way of life. We are spoilt here and I personally wouldn't want it any other way.

P

Parker123

That's true... Language is certainly a problem for British people deciding to live in Spain. Many of them flock to close knit communities where they are amongst other British people, employ British tradesmen and generally don't either bother or even want to learn Spanish. It's ironic that they are often the same people who complain about waves of immigrants spoiling parts of Britain and some even quote immigration as the reason they left the UK!

Here in Catalonia, we have a second language to cope with and some of us find it a struggle to have a bit of Spanish and a bit of Catalan but it's really rewarding if you try. You seem to gain a bit of respect even if you are struggling with the verbs and grammar and I think that those who speak a bit of the language of the place they live in are less likely to get ripped off.

S

Sally958

Parker Hi, I totally agree with you should learn Spanish in whichever dialect you need.

When we bought our first holiday home here in Costa del Sol 7 years ago I started to learn at home because it is not only very useful but out of respect to the country you live in, it is also essential to be able to communicate with those who do not speak the language even if you are living in an area where many speak English. And now I live here full-time the need for communication is even more important and satisfying to be able to read the newspapers or understand the spoken word.... so good on you for learning the Catalan dialect!

I have lived in 4 countries in my life and I have taken the trouble to learn each language - as they say, every language opens another door!

P

Parker123

Thanks for your support Sally and I completely agree. For anyone contemplating living abroad, perhaps the difficulty of learning the language should be taken into account before choosing an area and that is why some British people flock to areas where they feel they may not need to. Of course the reverse is true and it happens with certain overseas communities settling in the UK too. At least in Spain I have always felt that just attempting to speak the language of the host country really does help in one's daily life, as the Spanish will try to understand and will not pretend to ignore you if your attempts are not perfect. Some do say that in France certain French people are less tolerant.

Speaking of linguistic precision, people can be quite passionate in the way they defend their languages; probably to the point of what one might call linguistic fascism. We have seen it in the UK where those extremists who promote Welsh or Cornish will spray paint onto any local road signs that were put up in English. You sometimes see linguistic graffiti in Cataluña/Catalunya but they certainly like people not to think of Catalan as a dialect of Castillian Spanish but as a language in its own right. Even in the Valencia region some claim that Valenciano is a language of its own; they don't like to be told that Valenciano is actually a dialect of Catalan!

M

marcbar

the best place to retire is Costa Brava is known as Spain's sunny 'wild coast'. It is lined with rugged cliffs, sandy inlets and bustling holiday resorts. Here you will find long crescents of sand and shingle and the long beaches of the main resorts where all manners of water sports can be found. Estartit is great for scuba diving. There is a crammed marina here, filled with luxury yachts and one of the best sandy beaches on this part of the coast. Every resort along this stretch of coast has its own character and Tossa de Mar is no exception. Here are British-style pubs, late night clubs and lively bars. The town of Tossa de Mar also has narrow, twisting streets dating back to the 12th century.