Where to buy in Portugal?

A

aLGARVE18

Where to Buy

I'm currently renting a place in the Algarve and am thinking of buying somewhere in Portugal. But at the moment I am not convinced the Algarve is the place to buy. I can't see there being much capital apperciation, its already too expensive and with all the building going on I'm sure the supply is going to outstrip demand. I remember the days when it was impossible to find a place to stay here in August, now its not a problem at all. The days of full occupancy are gone!

Can anyone suggest any other areas in Portugal I should be looking. I know all the talk has been about the silver coast but I am considering Espinho. Its still relativly cheap, about 120K euros for a 3 bed apartment, and with ryanair flying to Porto I think prices should rise as the Brits discover it.

Does anyone know what the long term rental market is like in that area. The plan would be to rent out the property and use the income to pay my rent here in the Algarve. Maybe even leverage it and use the rent to pay a mortgage on a one bed place here. Two for the price of one!
Whilst Porto is a beautiful area if you want the warm weather all year forget it , the Algarve has a microclimate and if you compare monthly climate statistics on the web e.g. January average Braganca (North) 8ºC and Faro (South) 16ºC. Have you considered inland Monchique where at the moment there are still some cheap properties to be had. No fear of overdevelopment either as the planning regulations are strict there so there will never be a surplus of properties for sale making any investment in the area a good buy although I believe prices will increase in the future as it becomes more popular. The rental market certainly is good as there are a number of people wanting to be near everything thats going on in the Algarve but being able to return to the peace of the countryside and enjoying the real Portugal.

R

RichardMYP

Cheap ?

If you find a cheap property, anywhere, look for the reason. The Algarve is still the best place to buy, it's an open destination with worldwide popularity and geared up for holiday makers, its popularity is what fuels the property market and we here in our internet property agency we are beginning to notice an upswing in enquiries. Now is the time to buy as surely property values will begin to improve once confidence returns to the market.

V

villasluz

Hi there,

I continue thinking that the best property investment regions in Portugal are still the Silver Coast, Lisbon Coast and Central Portugal, though we have also a real estate agency in Algarve.

The prices are still very affordable and the climate is excellent - not comparable with the Algarve (at least during July and August),as the maximum temperatures will never go up to the level of the Algarve.

Most of our clients prefer the Silver Coast etc. due to te fact that you have mild winters, beautiful spring and autumn weather and a moderate temperature in the summer. The restaurants are excellent and cheaper than in Algarve and the offer of activities is very large.

But, if you are looking for very high temperatures and a warm ocean, there is nothing comparable to the Algarve.

Antonio

S

Stefan

It depends what you look for?

Much of what you say is true and also what other persons here says. This is for me a question of "personal point of views". No matter how much we discuss this it will always come down to "what are the buyer looking for?" When we say "the best investment" it is not about what part of Portugal (or anywhere else in Europe) you choose, it is property+price that will make it to a good or a less good investment. The trick is of course to know, what is the right price?

If we talk about other issues like climate, temperature in the ocean, facilities etc that is strictly personal oppinions and up to what the client looks for in his/hers home/holiday home.

Marketing in all respect and to promote the area we are working in that is our job, but if it is better or worse that other areas is totally up to the one who finally make the investment.

Some of the points I have when it comes to the Algarve contra Northern Portugal:

The climate - which is (for me) superior to the Northern part of Portugal (Winter time especially),I have family up there and it is my personal oppinion cause I like less rain and warmer climate. The Summers in Algarve can be hot, but not as hot as in Spain, the evenings are allways fresh (thanks to the Atlantic).

The Sea - When I am up in the Northern part (Silver coast),usually there are not many people in the sea and I understand why (exept Surfers). Here in the Algarve we have a longer season and the temperature is ok. There are other issues with bathing in the sea up there as well, but we do not need to go in on that.

Living Prices - is equal and can be more expensive in the Lisbon coast, on the Silver Coast or on the Algarve Coast, depending where you go. The experience I have is that if I go 10-15 minutes drive from the coast I have easier to find lower prices in the Algarve than for example Lisbon Coast. Loulé in Algarve you can find very good Restaurants and have a meal for two persons including wine for approx 24 Euros, that is not expensive. (personal oppinon).

Prices on properties: If only comparing property to property, you get more for your money in teh Silver Coast, but if it is a good investment or not, that can only the future tell. All will depends on how the market will continue developing, how many Hotels there will be built and of course what people will like in the future? Will they be prepered to pay the same price on the SIlver Coast as in the Algarve? One of the main reasons till why they do good selling up there is cause of the low prices compared to Algarve (personal oppinion).

Facilities - Here I would definitly put Lisbon Coast on the top, cause of all the things it has to offer. Algarve and teh Silver Coast is not much more than Golf, Water Parks and the Beach. (Have to admit that the Winyards up there is interesteing, but we also have Alentejo down here).

Availability - If it is from UK or Ireland the Algarve has very good connections, with many flights and airports to choose from. I think Algarve loose a bit if we look on other countries, especially the Scandinavian countries that has better connection to Lisbon than Faro (direct)

There are probably much more to say and many will have other oppions, but that wil only prove that this is what it comes down to in the end when choosing a property "personal oppinion"

Now it is just to convince people that this is the right time to buy no matter where they feel more "home"

Cheers

Stefan

Hi there,

I continue thinking that the best property investment regions in Portugal are still the Silver Coast, Lisbon Coast and Central Portugal, though we have also a real estate agency in Algarve.

The prices are still very affordable and the climate is excellent - not comparable with the Algarve (at least during July and August),as the maximum temperatures will never go up to the level of the Algarve.

Most of our clients prefer the Silver Coast etc. due to te fact that you have mild winters, beautiful spring and autumn weather and a moderate temperature in the summer. The restaurants are excellent and cheaper than in Algarve and the offer of activities is very large.

But, if you are looking for very high temperatures and a warm ocean, there is nothing comparable to the Algarve.

Antonio

S

sunnytimes

Sao Martinho do Porto

Hi Everyone,
We recently bought an apartment (off plan) in this beautiful village, it's not ready until early next year. I was just wondering about furniture and stuff etc. Does anyone else have a place in this village?
Rosie

C

CCALISTO

Portugal property excelent prices -take a look

Hello if you to see beautiful propertys in Portugal for sale whith very low prices,

please send me your email to carla.amaral600:)gmail:pcom and i will send you some fotos .

Best regards

Carla Calisto
00351 939411348

K

Kjarkata

Does portugal provide residence visa when you invest in property?

C

CCALISTO

YES , BUT IF YOU NEED FURTHER INFORMATION SEND ME YOUR EMAIL .

Best regards

Carla Calisto

M

Michaelsoares75

in my opinion the silver coast is the best option, in espinho the water is very cold and the weather is very cold in winter. big investements are being doing in silver coast near óbidos, peniche and lourinhã golf , hotel, so many things

M

Michaelsoares75

silvercoast

in my opinion the silver coast is the best option, in espinho the water is very cold and the weather is very cold in winter. big investements are being doing in silver coast near óbidos, peniche and lourinhã golf , hotel, so many things

K

Kjarkata

send me more information of residence visa, my email is (kjarkata) at (yahoo) dot (com)

Somabonus

Somabonus

Banned
I'm currently renting a place in the Algarve and am thinking of buying somewhere in Portugal. But at the moment I am not convinced the Algarve is the place to buy. I can't see there being much capital apperciation, its already too expensive and with all the building going on I'm sure the supply is going to outstrip demand. I remember the days when it was impossible to find a place to stay here in August, now its not a problem at all. The days of full occupancy are gone!

Can anyone suggest any other areas in Portugal I should be looking. I know all the talk has been about the silver coast but I am considering Espinho. Its still relativly cheap, about 120K euros for a 3 bed apartment, and with ryanair flying to Porto I think prices should rise as the Brits discover it.

Does anyone know what the long term rental market is like in that area. The plan would be to rent out the property and use the income to pay my rent here in the Algarve. Maybe even leverage it and use the rent to pay a mortgage on a one bed place here. Two for the price of one!
Hi! I would do the other way around! Rent something outside the Algarve and buy the place you are renting now, or buy in the Algarve ( you know how much you are paying now so become a landlord in the Algarve as well! ). The inland Algarve is still with good prices if you look well. Look for Barranco do Velho, Mértola, etc.

J

jdmat1

Silver Coast

I agree, the new Golden Triangle around Obidos Lagoon is popular - but even in this area, you need to pick out the developments with investment value and location. There's a lot of activity around Lourinha right now too.

We can help source properties in this area - have a look at IQ Property Investments website for just a taste of what we do or pm me for more info.

V

villasluz

I agree with you Michael, but I do not think that Peniche or Lourinha could be called the prime locations of the Silver Coast (except maybe Areia Branca) - beside the fact that Lourinha is already considered as the Lisbon coast.
In reality the main investment places up to now have been Obidos (with all its Golf resorts),Foz do Arelho, Sao Martinho do Porto and Nazare (seaside and countryside). I believe that in the future, these places could be also of interest, but up to now the main percentage of "coastal" property investors are still preferring the other areas that I already mentionned.

Nearly each time that we are with new clients who discovers the region for the first time the reactions are the same when they compare the areas - no trees and woods around Peniche and Lourinha - only agriculture and beaches...
These are not my words (as I love Baleal and other places in that area),but nearly 75 percent of our clients reaction.
I really would prefer to sell properties along the beaches of Lourinha and Peniche, as there is a bigger offer and the prices are still excellent but for the moment it is unfortunately not the main percentage of our sales.

I

Ibermaxx

Up to 100.000e

Hello
What could i get now in Portugal for up to 100.000 euros please?
Any tips appreciated
Kind regards

Somabonus

Somabonus

Banned
Do not buy NEW, buy old and refurbish! SAVE!

Hi! You can get an old apartment or an old house in the city and you have to refurbish it, 100 k is plenty of money to do that and save some!

Somabonus

Somabonus

Banned

Hi! I understand everyone´s posts but let me tell you this! About 20 to maximum 30 minutes drive up to the interior Algarve and mainly towards East you will find superb and very cheap properties! Once you found someone that you can trust to sign working contracts with you where everything will be prevented, you will then pay this advisers kms + fees per hour where they will go with you and represent you before owners ( with you by the side ) and see all options! Then you will deal with owners directely with your adviser´s help and pay 0 ( zero ) commission to agents or other middle men who will do lots of genius ideas to take some euros from you! Remember! Buyers create ocasions so they are the 1st responsible parties for all trouble that occur! Defend yourself subscribing safety procedures. Teach and learn what is good!

V

villasluz

Hello
What could i get now in Portugal for up to 100.000 euros please?
Any tips appreciated
Kind regards
Hi Ibermaxx,

there are different options that you can get for up to 100.000 euros.

1) Construction plot
2) Refurbishment property (ruins for example)
3) Rustic village home
4) Brand new apartments (between 5-15 minutes from the coastline - I am referring in this case to the Silver Coast)

Have a look on our Silver Coast website below - you will find a lot of possibilities to spend your money :)

Good luck!

Last edited:
L

lena green

This is such an old thread I wonder where Fredoikl ended up investing ! ....actually, its an unusual position to be in reading comments over two years old its a bit like 'future viewing'. Lots has happened since the good old days when things were great, we`ve had a credit crash since this string started, if only Fred had known that was coming! I feel like i`m the last man left in the Algarve.

The hotels are empty, the golf courses empty the shops are empty, the banks ain`t lending and it looks like doom and gloom all round. Poor Fred, hope he got somewhere nice to ride out the financial storm. At least we still have the beautiful beaches and the sunshine is always loyal, life goes on. On the strength of these two all important ingredients i`m going to build 5 townhouses as someone has to have faith that things will pick up.

I`m on the Algarve in Alcantarilha (Armacao do Pera) and I believe its the the centre of everything here although almost unheard of. We have the beach 5 minutes away, Amendoeira Golf course walking distance, Waterpark in walking distance, International school 5 mins away, Algarve Shopping 10 minutes away, the motorway 2 minutes away, Faro airport 25 mins away and Spain and Lisbon equidistant down the motorway. Its got everything. So, now if Fred was still around I would say, Fred, buy it here, 'build it and they will come'.........so I am.
5 eco-friendly townhouse properties going up now, agents wanted to promote them, buyers wanted to buy them, money wanted to build the, maybe a partner !!

Valued at 300k 18 months ago, going now for 250k, but, and read this, cash up front 120 sterling, balance 'inhouse' mortgage over five years thro company so in effect buyers get a 250k home for 120k, rentals might even cover that mortgage as we are in the holiday zone.
Good luck fred wherever you are, would be interested to hear from you.