Where to buy in Portugal?

J

jonw

I think that to live in Portugal, at least some understanding of the lingo is a must.

L

Luis Miranda

Property in Portugal

I am French but spend some time in Scotland ( 1 year in Edinburgh),Spain ( 1 year in Barcelona ) and for sure France ( More than 25 years in Paris ).

But here I am In Aveiro. Why? I Love the place, the Ria, the sea, the location ( between Porto and Lisbon, 1 h from Porto, 3h from Lisbon),I like that as they say it's the Portuguese venezia. Why should I buy a 300 000 euros 30 sq meters flat in Paris when I bought a 90 sq meters flat in the best area of Aveiro last year.

So yes I love the place. All my friends that came to visit me are in love for the place.

Now speaking about properties. So much to do........

you are dreaming about a LOFT! I can get you at least 10 buildings to transform in a loft ( all of them in the center of the city )Because i still consider Portugal as a land of opportunities. So much to do. I don't like to say that but Portugal is still so late in many things.

dreaming about a FLAT near the sea ( Costa Nova, Barra, Vagos, Mira, Espinho ) are still great locations to look for flats, maybe more than 50 offers in each city.

Maybe an old stone house in the country side to refresh or to rebuild ( so many of them that making a choose will be hard). For example yesterday I was driving to Oliveira de Azemeis and I was looking at some beautiful but old houses that the typical Portuguese don't like anymore but we do. They are thousand of them.

So yes....still so much to do here about real estate and the buyer is in a dominant position now because the market is down. So make sure you see lot's of things and not from only one agency.Always take your time.
For my flat I visited more than 40 properties in a 2 kilometers area and believe it or not but on a 95 000 euros investment I saved 15 000 euros from some other offers. It's true that I took one full time month ( everyday biking around, speaking directly with owners, visiting agencies etc) to look but saving 15 000 on a 95 000 euros investment is quiet a lot. And not speaking only about money, I bought exactly the flat I was looking for.

If you need any help in my area, mostly Aveiro, Porto, Espinho I will be glad to help you make the best deal, I am starting to work as an independent real estate consultant.

Take care and enjoy Portugal.

I adored its commentary.
E since Mr. if goes to dedicate to sell properties in Portugal, I thank its aid to sell my property:

http://www.totallyproperty.com/portugal-property-sale-portugal/6302-investment-guaranteed-return-small-private-tourist-complex.html

The price is negotiable and accepted a small part in exchange.
Beste regards
Luis Miranda
+351917264651 ([email protected])

H

Honest Properties

Maybe you bought your property already, if not Silver Coast and Beiras are a good choise, good value for your money, evrything available including tranquility and nature :)

take a look at
w w w propertiesforsaleinportugal com

enjoy Terras Lusitanas

J

jodoyle

Hello,

I think you might reconsider the silver coast. You can still buy property at good prices at about 20 min. from the coast. Happy to answer questions.

[email protected]
Hi I am considering an off plan apartment in ariea branca the silver coast what do you think of this area and do you reckon on increase in value

S

Stefan

Afford or not?

Hi Frediokl

It is simple really. If you can not afford to buy a property in the Algarve, the best option is the Silver Coast. Just remind you that the climate is different, Algarve climate is unique in Europe and that is mainly the reason why I and many other non portuguese have choosed to actually live here. Of course there are other issues as well, but the climate is for me the number one issue. My partner is from the Lisbon area and we lived there for a short time, so I definitly know that there are a huge different between Algarve and the northern part of Portugal. Just so you go in to this with open eyes and accept the fact that you buy a different consept than the Algarve, but you might prefer that? The prices are lower that is a fact and there are reasons for it as well.

Algarve will always be number one in Portugal, that is the prime location and that is why you pay a bit more.

Good luck

I'm currently renting a place in the Algarve and am thinking of buying somewhere in Portugal. But at the moment I am not convinced the Algarve is the place to buy. I can't see there being much capital apperciation, its already too expensive and with all the building going on I'm sure the supply is going to outstrip demand. I remember the days when it was impossible to find a place to stay here in August, now its not a problem at all. The days of full occupancy are gone!

Can anyone suggest any other areas in Portugal I should be looking. I know all the talk has been about the silver coast but I am considering Espinho. Its still relativly cheap, about 120K euros for a 3 bed apartment, and with ryanair flying to Porto I think prices should rise as the Brits discover it.

Does anyone know what the long term rental market is like in that area. The plan would be to rent out the property and use the income to pay my rent here in the Algarve. Maybe even leverage it and use the rent to pay a mortgage on a one bed place here. Two for the price of one!

T

thedon

You are right when you say that property is going up fast on the Algarve. But not in the East Algarve! There is still a lot of capital appreciation ahead for this region.
And it has the same climate as the West Algarve!
I have a Portuguese friend in the business, take a look at his site - Rentabilizar - Mediação Imobiliária, Lda.
Hope this helps, Mac.

B

Bridget

Hi I am considering an off plan apartment in ariea branca the silver coast what do you think of this area and do you reckon on increase in value
Hi Jodoyle

Have you checked São Martinho do Porto or Nazaré at all!!??

L

lena green

Hi there, this is a warning, please stop telling eveyone how great the Agarve is. There are 2 million people in the UK looking for homes abroad and if they all came here ( I live here) I would never be able to get served at the bar!!
Yes, we do have fab beaches, but please keep it a secret they`re full enough already and don't tell anyone about our fish restaurants, fresh caught delicious but not enough to feed two million.....and our sunshine is permanently out...........out of the question for foreigners as we want it to ourselves.
Our villas, apartments and golfcourses are for us, not to share, so please don't come, I hate waiting to 'T 'off and don't want you livin' next door to me unless your nice. (which you probably are but I`m in the bar and don't have the time to get to know you).
Coming to live in Portugal is not an easy transition so give it some serious thought. You will have to forsake things you are accustomed to which could cause great stress on you, think carefully. You will be living without your current job and will have to get used to lying on the beach all day (not easy). You will have to adjust to cheap alcohol (difficult) you will have to drive very carefully, we have no speed cameras to help you break the laws, you'll really miss your home being broken into regularly (we can help you there). Your rubbish will be removed so regularly, they take it away before its put out, as much as you like and I know you will have a problem with this. The low taxes will bamboozle you, you'll think the friendly people are after something, they are......your friendship nothing more and you won't believe you get change every time you tender a tenner....lots of it.
So, with all these difficulties, I suggest you all stay away from Portugal its a best kept secret which we are'nt telling anyone about, especially that Sir Cliff Richards has been here since the sixties, grows his own wine and is a great hit. He's on a permanent 'Summer Holiday' and so am I. There just ain't no space left. Go away.
Ps. The wine is a problem as well, we grow our own and its very inexpensive and totally addictive, so beware of Portugal and what it has to offer, you may find if you ever get here, you never want to go home again.............

O

OwnerInvest

Lena

Hi Lena

I read your post and it made me chuckle - don't send anymore people here! LOL

:)

L

lena green

Yes, one has to remain light hearted.Its just a joke as I have a wicked sense of humour.

M

Magellan

personally, i think prices are most reasonable in the center

L

lena green

Great comment,but, the centre is not near the edge, and the edge is where where the sea is.................and the sea is where the beach is. And the nearer the equator you get, the warmer it is..........don't want you to teach you to suck eggs, but its the Algarve where it is.............

G

GenCPT

Again, there's a lot of hot spots in this country, but there's only to places where return is garanted; Lisbon area and Algarve, all the rest might be a wild guess on the long term. An Lisbon?...talk about high prices...you don't whant to take that avenue!

All THe Best

L

lena green

dead right,if Sir Richard Branson is investing with a space station and 20 health centres value 8 million each and Sven Ericsonn building here as well............do as the Romans do................invest in Portugal

A

abelhas

and think sustainability with that investment. new housing in portugal can all be solar powered, trees dont need to be cut to build, walls can be heatsinks, compost toilets, rainwater harvesting... villas as earthships?
the fastest growing market is eco houses and smallholdings. our most often booked accommodation is yurts, eco houses, things that are 'different'.
peak oil and climate change is pushing humans to think differently, more sustainable and environment friendly, and we get a lot of enquiries about this kind of thing.

it doesnt cost much more to build green, but houses like that are going to be more sellable in the future - we dont need a space station in portugal, the money would be better spent replacing eucalyptus with native trees, supporting local agriculture and insulating the old houses. health centres are good, but a diet education campaign could avoid illness rather than trying to cure problems caused by poor diet and too much tv.

think sideways i always say! good luck.

E

estate

If buying properties in Portugal is it better to form a company in Portugal or UK?

A

abelhas

a very good question, which I don't have answers for.
I am inclined to ask, 'if buying property in portugal as investment, and as a company, do you HAVE to set up a portuguese company' and if not, and it is possible as a UK company, how does this work with tax?

i've been inclined to think that companies operating on portuguese soil either have to be portuguese companies, or the uk company has to pay portuguese tax on profits generated in portugal.

but, i'd guess that nothing is simple. european law probably says one thing while UK and portuguese law probably says two other things :)

but i'd very much like to find out more - if anyone here has the answer?

O

OwnerInvest

Buying property in Portugal

Buying a property in any country is a complicated process. Purchasing a property in a country where you do not understand the logistics is even more complicated! Or can appear to be, due to language barriers and a lack of knowledge of the area.

We are more familiar with buying property in our own country as rules and regulations tend to appear more straight forward. However, is buying a property in your home country really less complex than buying abroad?

A foreigner buying a property in the UK would find the process just as complicated and confusing as you find the process of buying a property in, Portugal or Spain, for example.

Below are some key points to buying Portugal property

Not all of us suit foreign real estate purchases but for many it is a huge lifestyle benefit, such as a lower cost of living, better social circles and so on, tax benefits and so on.

According to MINTEL there are just under 1 million British households that own overseas property!

Generally speaking, the way you purchase portuguese property is different to how you would purchase UK property.

Ensure all the appropriate checks are carried out and then you have no further need to worry, no more so than you would at home.

Do take legal advice and don't be so casual about the whole property purchasing while abroad, a lawyer may cost a few quid extra but all the checks that your lawyer would carry out for you could save you a lot of headaches later, they can check the legalities of the property purchase, does it exist, does it have planning permission etc.

The Notary
(Notario) will play a mjor part in your real estate purchase, these are officials who place your purchase on the public record, they record the sale/purchase and you are required to sign this while with the notary, all parties involved will also be present.

The notary can act on behalf of the buyer and the seller and also carries out a number of checks regarding the property in question.

When purchasing your property in Portugal remember to allocate the correct ownership, if you get this wrong, it could be the most expensive mistake you make! You do not want unnecessary tax bills during your lifetime or in the event of your death where inheritance tax comes into play, getting this part right is the most crucial, seek advice if necessary.

You have many options of who could be made the legal owner of the property, or you could allocate shareholders with a company. The best choice regarding this does not always stare you straight in the face.

You could purchase your Portugal property in various ways:
1) Your own name
2) Your name and a co-purchaser(s)
3) Children's names or the name of the person you wish to inherit the property
4) Ltd company, English, Portuguese, off-shore
5) SIPP (self invested personal pension fund)
6) Investment fund
7) Investment club
8) Trust fund

All of the above have advantages and disadvantages, we can advise which would be the most appropriate for you

If you have any further questions regarding this subject, let me know, either on the board or privately

Currently we assist clients with buying overseas property using their SIPP, it is very popular at the moment