Where to buy in France

A

Alik

Hello, I'm new to this site and would love some information on different regions in France. We have owned a holiday home in the Langeudoc for over five years now and are hoping to sell this and buy something further up so that we can drive down with our dog. As we are used to nice long warm summers we are looking for a region that still has a mild climate. If anyone is in Charente or Auvergne and can give us some information on local villages, towns and climate we would be really grateful. Thanks for your help.

S

Solonge

The areas that seem to maintain their value would be my suggestion....so Provence, Languedoc, Paris, Pyrenees Atlantic. We moved to the Dordogne a few years ago and certainly this area has plummeted in price....as have others were friends live. Good luck

LPC

LPC

Have you considered Centre region? Property prices are cheap there and it is where it says it is - in the centre of France. So further up, but not too much.

webvivre

webvivre

Rural property has really dropped in price; if you are a cash buyer you can get a good discount.

E

Ed_P

It all depends what you are looking for, I grew up in France and my parents live there now but different places offer entirely different prospects!

Genereally speaking I would recommend staying away from central Paris, and the French Riviera, as these are very touristy and therefore very overpriced. Although Northern France is relatively mild, I imagine you are looking more towards central to lower?

T

totallyproperty

Administrator
Staff member
I read somewhere a while ago that the French property market was not exactly plain sailing for foreign buyers. Is this still the case or have various restrictions and difficulties been resolved?

Mark

LPC

LPC

Buying a house is no more difficult in France than in the UK or most other countries. The only difference is that it is normal to have one notaire (solicitor) acting for both buyer and seller. This only possible because a notaire in France is a government officer and must be impartial, whereas in the UK a solicitor is appointed to look after the interests of only the person who has appointed him/her.

Freehold is extremely secure in France (unlike some other countries),just like the UK.

T

totallyproperty

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for the update LPC - are there any specific areas of the French property market you believe have good potential in the medium to long term?