ad

What has been the most financially rewarding property investment you've made?

• Thread starter totallyproperty
  • Start date
T

totallyproperty

Administrator
Staff member
Was it a development? A HMO? Buying into the right location at the right time? Benefiting from a boom in the market?

It would be interesting to see which strategies have succeeded the most and in which locations.

J

Judith Beilby

Premium Member
The best property investment I have made was buying a victorian conversion flat in need of total refurbishment in Clapham, south London back in 1998. The best decision I ever made was to keep it and use the capital uplift to fund the purchase on another property. That one flat has gone on to fund the deposit for future purchases to the value of £2.4m. It was the decision to keep that was key. All newbie investors don't assume this is ok for me. There has never been a better time to invest in property than today - start your own journey and good luck.

R

Ricky Bhurji

Premium Member
That sounds awesome Judith. The best property investments I ever made was buying a two bedroom terraced house in Reading in need of full modernisation & a central heating system in Feb 2009 - just after the Lehman Bros crash and soon after the economy was emerging out of recession. I paid £134,000 and today its worth £275,000 - a simple "buy" "add value" "hold" strategy was all it took.

KGeeson

KGeeson

Property Forum Staff
Forum Partner
That sounds awesome Judith. The best property investments I ever made was buying a two bedroom terraced house in Reading in need of full modernisation & a central heating system in Feb 2009 - just after the Lehman Bros crash and soon after the economy was emerging out of recession. I paid £134,000 and today its worth £275,000 - a simple "buy" "add value" "hold" strategy was all it took.
That's incredible value to add in 6 years. Do you anticipate it increasing at the same rate following Crossrail connecting to Reading?

Cowell

Cowell

I live in a rural area by a small town that is in dire need of improvement. That said, the property I am in I have fixed up quite a bit, so my investment is coming by way of the equity a I putting into it.

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
Our best investment was a very run down nursery (garden centre) with a lovely old bungalow on it, which was more like a scrap yard. We spent 3 very enjoyable years turning the place round, and making it into something very desirable. In the meantime it made us a good living as we built up a very loyal clientele.
We had a lot of fun doing it, loved living there and after 3 years sold it for more than double of what we paid.

A

AlanMerle

My best investment was an apartment in New York city.. it was 4 bedroom..
I live alone..so I rent 2 rooms..
And it was really beneficial as I am able to earn pretty good dollars..

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
My best investment was an apartment in New York city.. it was 4 bedroom..
I live alone..so I rent 2 rooms..
And it was really beneficial as I am able to earn pretty good dollars..
I also started by renting spare rooms in my house... The income covered the mortgage and bills so I was essentially financially retired when I was 24! Obviously not earning a great deal but was financially free from a young age and that allowed me to be creative and grow my business as I wasn't in the rat race any longer...

S

sergerybrin

Society area is the best for live.If you are interested to get buy many rooms then you should and then you can give some of the rooms on rent .That is good for both as well as you lived in the society and get rent.