Water Filters for Egypt

Status
Not open for further replies.
iain

iain

I have been looking into the possibility of fitting a water filter to our appt in Sharm - Nabq Bay.

At the most basic level I would like to ensure that the water to the washing machine is filtered to remove all sand and small particles, as far as I can see this needs a relatively inexpensice particulate filter.

Another option is to put in a filter at source which then filters all water in the appt.

At the lower end just the sand would be filtered out and at the top end the water would be drinkable. The cost for this is high probably £2000 to 3000 and would need reliable and regular maintenace. As the top filters also take out bacteria etc, it is vital that they get washed through or whatever to prevent a build up of bacteria.

Whilst it would be great to make the water drinkable I think that might be a step too far.

Has anybody got any experience of water filters in Egypt? (I think like many things the Egyptians invented water filters 3-4 thousand years ago........

Iain

iain

iain

Please check out the website of British Berkefeld: The Range of Drinking Water Filter Housings from Fairey Industrial Ceramics (I have bought the: HBA MkII in Egypt) Home: Drinking Water Filters - home water filtration systems
Abu Ashara family market (Nasr Street, on the way to Dahar) has them.

We use this filter always for our drinking water.
Thanks GM43 that's interesting - I assume that's just for drinking water. Does anybody have experience with whole house filters?

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Iain Clare has a contact here who instals the whole system. When I looked into it she said he would come 2 apartment and talk through process cost etc. Might be worth arranging on your next trip. Think he is only 1 that supplies and instals in Sharm. He is a Russian chap.

D

dave99

Extra Water point in Kitchen

This is very interesting.

Will the water in Egypt really become drinkable by filtering.

We have added an extra water point in all of our kitchens for anyone who wishes to add a filter but I doubt anyone will use it anytime soon.

iain

iain

Thanks Alison - we might do that - also talking to people here.

Dave 99 of course the water will become drinkable with filtering - it's just getting a suitable system and you might decide that you prefer paying for bottled water rather than the cost of filtering. Clearly it costs more to filter to drinking standard than just taking out the sand to protect your washing machine.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Also another good point is the damage the sand and limescale may do to the water heaters???

iain

iain

Also another good point is the damage the sand and limescale may do to the water heaters???
That's true though I've no idea whether the water we get is full of minerals or not. If it has been de-salinated then I doubt if limescale would be a problem but worth checking. Did you get any deposit in your kettle?

Status
Not open for further replies.