Warning about contaminated bottled water

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi allI have just read that Egypts Consumer potection agency have found 6 different brands of bottled water unsafe for human comsumption. Samples have been taken from 21 different brands and 6 contained bacteria. They are 1.5 litre bottles of Schweppes and El Nada and 19 litre containers of Nahl, Aquastone, Aquamena and Hyat.

D

dave99

any common link

Hi allI have just read that Egypts Consumer potection agency have found 6 different brands of bottled water unsafe for human comsumption. Samples have been taken from 21 different brands and 6 contained bacteria. They are 1.5 litre bottles of Schweppes and El Nada and 19 litre containers of Nahl, Aquastone, Aquamena and Hyat.
any common link

seem strange to have so many brands affected - are there any dates - is this recent.

/

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi - look at ameinfo which was reported 26th Ded

W

WESTMIDS33

Banned
water

Hi Queenie,

Where did you get this information from and I suppose even if you could make out the sell by date its likely that bacteria may have been caused by poor storage etc Are there any Forensic Scientists on this forum? lol.

Regards

westmids33

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi tests were carried out over the last 2 months by Egypts Consumer Agency and Health Ministry. 21 samples were taken and the 6 above were found to be contaminated with bacteria and unfit for consumption. The Ministry of Industry and Commerce said in a statement that it had formed an emergency committee to inspect the factories as soon as possible. This was reported to Reuters on Wednesday. They do not state if the bottles are on the shelves of if they have recalled any. But I think to be on the safe side best to avoid the 6 mentioned.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Here is the article

CAIRO, Dec 26 (Reuters) - Egypt's Consumer Protection Agency found six locally produced brands of bottled water, including Schweppes, unfit for human consumption, agency chairman Said el-Alfy said on Wednesday.
Alfy said at a news conference that a study financed by his one-year-old agency and conducted over two months by the Central Egyptian Society for Consumer Protection and the Health Ministry took samples of 21 bottled water brands and discovered bacteria in six of them.
The study said the contaminated samples are the 1.5-litre bottles of Schweppes and el-Nada and the 19-litre bottles of Nahl, Aquastone, Aquamena and Hayat.
The study also found seven other brands were fraudulently labeled -- meaning the ingredients on labels did not match what was in the water -- but said they were still fit for consumption.
Those include the 1.5-litre bottles of Baraka, el-Manar, Delta, Hayat, Aquamena and Nahl and 19-litre bottles of Siwa.
The Ministry of Industry and Commerce said in a statement on Wednesday that it had formed an emergency committee to inspect the factories as soon as possible.
Schweppes Egypt officials did not return multiple calls for comment and to discuss if there is a connection between that company and London-based Cadbury Schweppes plc. No one was available to comment at Cadbury's office in Cairo.
The Coca-Cola Co lists Schweppes on its Web site among brands that it owns or uses under license, but a spokeswoman for Coca-Cola could not immediately comment on any relationship with the Egyptian Schweppes.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
Since water is the subject can anyone tell me we are not ment to drink the water but can we boil it to make tea and coffee they must do that in the cafe's. I alway brush my teeth with it and never suffer. HELP

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi J4 - we are advised not to drink the tap water in Egypt because it is so highly chlorinated and our stomachs are not used to it. It is ok to brush teeth with but I always use bottled water when making hot drinks.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
what about new filter kettles that are now on the market will they not get rid of the bad things that make our tummy ill. Just thinking of the box of water that has to be bought before you can even have a brew when arriving at apartment, before the unpacking.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
hubbie alright with the mass of vodka we get dutie free at the airport lol

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi J4 - I have never liked to chance boiling the tap water to be honest. When we get our apartment I will invest in one of the water filters that you can attach to your system allowing you to drink the water.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
ill invest in new filter kettle and let you all know how ill I become if any, when we are out in April keeping you all posted.

Jayne

A

awahee123

Banned
Hi J4,

Hope you are not i'll at all.What do you do when you have to look out for bottled water as well.Not an ideal situation hope they can sort this one out.Lets hope they haven't been bottling it from the tap LOL.

queenie40something

queenie40something

.....maybe this is why alot of people get ill in Egypt because they have drank so much of the contaminated bottled water!!!!

A

awahee123

Banned
Hi queenie,

You have just put on here what I was thinking.I often wonder about the glass pop bottles etc which are recycled are they safely sanitized,as the hygiene has a lot to be desired in some establishments.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi WA good point makes you wonder. The only time I have been ill in Egypt though was when we 1st stayed in Luxor. I was ill for about a week when I got home but I put it down to the tuna sandwich I bought at the airport. Hubby as really ill in October in Sharm and he put it down to the draught lager that he drank one evening.

J

jeremy bright

i have got a good one for you i make my own have a still is a water purifier but also if you make some home Mada alcohol you can put that through it to make your own vodka or whisky etc got it from a brewing supply shop where i get things as i make my own wine etc they sell the kits to make a wash that is 23% and when you put it through it ups it to 100% it boils the water and condenses out pure water etc and looks the same as a large kettle

J

J4hurghada

Banned
I am taking over with me in April one of those filter kettle and one of those brita filter jugs, I will let you all know if I am very sick or not when we get home.