Visa advice question

Z

ZambeziDave

Oi a todos!
I am trying to get a volunteer visa (Vitem1) as I have offered my services for two years to a charity in Bahia. I am (still) waiting for the relevant paperwork from the charity (deed of incorporation, declaration of legal status, etc.) which I had hoped to have before I left the UK so I could apply before departure (returning to the UK in the New Year to collect the visa) - however with my flight two weeks away (entering as a tourist) I am starting to get twitchy! Is it possible to make a visa application whilst already in Brazil, or does it have to be at a consular office abroad? The SCEDV site states that the application "must be presented in person at the consulate under which jurisdiction you are" - as consulates are only in foreign countries I guess this means that I cannot apply from within Brazil??
I do not really want to go to the expense of flying out to apply and then going out again (at least two months later) to collect the visa and enter using it (am also not interested in the illegal route as I want to be free to travel in and out),so any advice would be gratefully received.
Many thanks,
Dave.

debzor

debzor

Oi a todos!
I am trying to get a volunteer visa (Vitem1) as I have offered my services for two years to a charity in Bahia. I am (still) waiting for the relevant paperwork from the charity (deed of incorporation, declaration of legal status, etc.) which I had hoped to have before I left the UK so I could apply before departure (returning to the UK in the New Year to collect the visa) - however with my flight two weeks away (entering as a tourist) I am starting to get twitchy! Is it possible to make a visa application whilst already in Brazil, or does it have to be at a consular office abroad? The SCEDV site states that the application "must be presented in person at the consulate under which jurisdiction you are" - as consulates are only in foreign countries I guess this means that I cannot apply from within Brazil??
I do not really want to go to the expense of flying out to apply and then going out again (at least two months later) to collect the visa and enter using it (am also not interested in the illegal route as I want to be free to travel in and out),so any advice would be gratefully received.
Many thanks,
Dave.
I have a permanent visa, and from my experience, you can only apply for this type of visa from outside Brazil, and you must leave the country to receive it and change your status.

I would also question the 2 month timeframe, or at least be prepared not to rely on it.

Z

ZambeziDave

I have a permanent visa, and from my experience, you can only apply for this type of visa from outside Brazil, and you must leave the country to receive it and change your status.

I would also question the 2 month timeframe, or at least be prepared not to rely on it.
Thanks, Debzor! I have already been waiting 10 weeks for my CPF (they say 8 weeks) and tracking it says the application (handed in personally in London) has not arrived in Brazil. Now why am I surprised?
Dave.

brackenhoe

brackenhoe

This bit of info may not be of much use, but you only need to go to any neighbouring country of Brazil to complete the paperwork at your consulate in the country you choose. In other words it's cheaper to fly to Argentina than Europe!

Z

ZambeziDave

This bit of info may not be of much use, but you only need to go to any neighbouring country of Brazil to complete the paperwork at your consulate in the country you choose. In other words it's cheaper to fly to Argentina than Europe!
Thanks for this - I had heard that this was the case, but it is the application process I am more worried about as it states that this has to be in person at the Brazilian Consulate, and I assume in your home country. My nephew was living in Barcelona when he started his application process, though he did come back to the UK (not quite so far from there!) but he did use an intermediary, which took months!
I fly out in 10 days now, so will have to explore my options once I am there - but would much rather not have this hanging over me!
Thanks for all the advice.
Dave.

brackenhoe

brackenhoe

Okay, here's the really bad news, our daughter landed a teaching job at the top expat school in Sao Paulo in July 2009. She still has not got her permanent work visa and the school has had to send one of her colleagues back to the UK on full pay to wait for their visa. This is all being done by Gabbitas Educational in London.... pretty big guns you would think.... but even they are struggling...... heaven help any individual person on a deadline. Have you got a backup plan?

J

JMBroad

Thanks for this - I had heard that this was the case, but it is the application process I am more worried about as it states that this has to be in person at the Brazilian Consulate, and I assume in your home country. My nephew was living in Barcelona when he started his application process, though he did come back to the UK (not quite so far from there!) but he did use an intermediary, which took months!
I fly out in 10 days now, so will have to explore my options once I am there - but would much rather not have this hanging over me!
Thanks for all the advice.
Dave.
You can apply for the visa in Brazil as well but you need to pick up the visa once it has been granted from a Brazilian embassy outside of Brazil (anywhere outside of Brazil)