Villa in the sun?

M

MACCHIATO

Hi all

I am considering a move to turkey - is it a good time to move with the fall of the lira etc.

Please advise I await your replies

F

FatihY

Hello ,i live in Turkey , and i would like to help you about the properties in Turkey that you are looking for.The fall of Turkish lira dropped prices quite low on Other curriences at the moment.It is time to make an invesment or purchasing any properties in Turkey.

P

PostBrexitInvestor

Long term the situation in Turkey can only get better. Whether there will be a better buying opportunity in the short term remains to be seen. However, those with a long term investment strategy are starting to take a greater interest in Turkish property.

D

diyhelp

Have you taken into account currency movements? I do not know the figures but both the Turkish currency and the UK currency have been under pressure. After recent currency falls does this make it cheaper or more expensive for UK residents looking to acquire property in Turkey?

M

MACCHIATO

Thanks for the responses - I am looking to retire out there. its either turkey or their partner north Cyprus . thoughts?

D

diyhelp

Has Cyrpus not had some recent issues with the ownership of land going back decades which was taken when the country split? Just something to be aware of.

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
Has Cyrpus not had some recent issues with the ownership of land going back decades which was taken when the country split? Just something to be aware of.
Yes Northern Cyprus is illegally occupied by Turkey and there have been many court cases where the legal Greek Cypriot owners have sued the developers and buyers of properties built on their land. Google the Orams case for example. They were forced to demolish the villa they bought in the North and restore the land to its original state leaving them with nothing.
The only country in the world that recognises the so called Turkish republic of Cyprus is Turkey itself. What a surprise.

F

FWL

On than basis then @Veronica it would seem a little dangerous to invest in Northern Cyprus without legal protection?

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
On than basis then @Veronica it would seem a little dangerous to invest in Northern Cyprus without legal protection?
Definitely risky. The South is relatively safe to invest in expecially with it being an EU member and the natural gas and oil reserves that have been discovered off shore.