Useful Hurghada Info

P

philthecar

why does everybody hoot all of the time ! We were told it was to make sure nobody got run over but im not so sure ?

G

GM43

Banned
i actually got stopped and had to pay a fine for driving with my lights on all the time (ad night)...no joke....this happened just north of the police checkpoint in El Quesir...that was not funny....the argument was that i blinded a police car coming towards me....

Andy Wagner (currently on hols in Austria)
Hurghada Information Net
When you are nearing a checkpoint you have to dim your lights because they want to see your license plate.

A

andyWagner

When you are nearing a checkpoint you have to dim your lights because they want to see your license plate.
oh i know at the checkpoint its lights off and hazards on...but this was about 5km north of the checkpoint (smile)

Andy (on hols in Austria)
Hurghada Information Net

W

wayne_harris

After hearing all this I don't want to drive in egypt unless they change the law. Wayne said it's crazy on the roads over there. But he would drive. Thats ok because I would just keep my eyes closed whilst on the road!!!!!

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
why does everybody hoot all of the time ! We were told it was to make sure nobody got run over but im not so sure ?
Its only that no body runs to make it safe for every one, they became more and more restricted to keep everyone secure

L

Lsab

After hearing all this I don't want to drive in egypt unless they change the law. Wayne said it's crazy on the roads over there. But he would drive. Thats ok because I would just keep my eyes closed whilst on the road!!!!!
I've lived in the Gulf on and off for years now and I never get used to the driving standards. I sometimes think it's a bit better in Egypt as the cars are older and can't get up much speed :D Here the roads are good, the majority of cars are new and the driving is appalling. I've never dared to drive here and my two friends who've lived in Egypt for more than 10 years (one in Cairo one in Hurghada),still can't bring themsleves to drive!! Not sure if we're all cowards or just sensible! Keeping your eyes closed whilst on the roads is an excellent idea - I think a lot of the drivers do the same thing!!!!

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Lsab - nearly all the taxi drivers in Sharm have brand new cars now. New cars more power, more speed. Last October one was doing over 140kmh down Peace Road and he scared the living daylights out of us.

V

vix

We do have the advantage when it rains tho, locals have no idea how to cope in the rain.

L

Lsab

Which makes it worse!!! No lights, still speeding - it terrifies me then. Still, it hasn't rained here this winter.

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Which makes it worse!!! No lights, still speeding - it terrifies me then. Still, it hasn't rained here this winter.
In hurghada there almost no rains rarely to happened so don't worry ;)

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
Keeping your eyes closed is good Dawn! You'll be driving JUST like the locals. Imshallah!

Randall

Randall

Hi All

Going to Hurghada in March and would like to see some sights on a couple of daytrips.

Can anyone recommend a reputable company.

Randall

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Randall we have been to Cairo and Luxor and booked these flights ourselves with Egyptair. I then booked a guide with car and driver and it worked out a lot cheaper than booking with a tour company. We went to Giftun Island that was brill but sorry can think of the tour op we used.

Georgina

Georgina

I don't know any to recommend either. I always travel independantly. There is a company in El Gouna called Pro Tours. You could also try Thomas Cook and I think Easy Jet were offering trips on their website but don't have any feed back to give you on whether they are good or not. I am shocked how expensive all the temples, etc. are now to visit.

I heard the convoy has stopped too going to Luxor during the daytime so you can travel freely.

125mastaba

Good Question

We've been to Hurghada quite a few times, having bought a property in Mastaba, I've gathered phone numbers for beer & wine, furniture, the local DIY store, food delivery numbers (Pizza, Macdonalds etc.) and would be happy to pass them on, need numbers for an electrician, plumber etc, that can speak English, try contact via skype, paul.roebuck in Callander

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
Useful Numbers

Good Question

We've been to Hurghada quite a few times, having bought a property in Mastaba, I've gathered phone numbers for beer & wine, furniture, the local DIY store, food delivery numbers (Pizza, Macdonalds etc.) and would be happy to pass them on, need numbers for an electrician, plumber etc, that can speak English, try contact via skype, paul.roebuck in Callander
Hi Mastaba

Where is Paul based? Is he here in Hurghada? I think a lot of people would be interested in speaking to him!!

Using local labour is an experience; first they come in a taxi to see what needs doing, then they go away to buy what they need, then (eventually) they come back and ask if you have any tools (or they will make do without any),then they bodge the job, you pay and think 'wow, that was cheap!' and they go away.

30 minutes later (if you're lucky) whatever was fixed breaks again and you start the whole procedure over again!

It sounds a bit cynical but there is a huge future out there for tradesmen who come well equipped, know what they are doing and charge a fair price.

125mastaba

tradesmen

Hi Peter

We are based in Scotland just now, retiring to Hurghada in a few years time, can't wait. Bought a property in Mastaba and maybe we have been lucky, your quite right, the "tradesmen" aren't the best in the world, but we tend to stand over them all the time and tell them what to do, as best we can, not speaking the lingo, and it seems to work most of the time.

We have an Egyptian friend who lives a couple of doors away, and he helps us out quite a lot when we need a good tradesman.

To leave them to do the job by themselves would guarantee they get it wrong