Useful Hurghada Info

C

Con96

Hi

IVE LOOKED AROUND THIS FORUM FOR THE PAST HOUR AND CANT FIND WHAT IM LOOKING FOR SO SORRY IF ANYONE REPEATING INFO.
TRANSFER FROM HURGHADA AIRPORT TO ALBATROS BEACH RESORT HOTEL HOW MUCH? ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR BOOKING? IVE READ ON TRIP ADVISOR ABOUT PEOPLE GETTING RIPPED OFF ?
Any info would be great as travelling out soon and a bit nervous as normally with holiday company,but bookd flight and hotel separate.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Transfers

Hi - search for the thread titled Transfers - look on page 3 and 4 you will find a post of mine with a link to a company that can arrange transfers for you quite reasonably.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
I need to hire a people carrier to go to Marsa Alam. Anyone got any contacts?
What can I expect to pay for a car and driver for the day?
Peter if you have no joy getting people carrier, When you get to Hurghada you are staying at the Hor's Palace, outside the front accross the road there is a cafe go and ask them they will properly sort you out, other than that ask a well spoken taki driver they usually give you a card with there mobile number on so anytime you need taxi they will come for you. You will proberly pay less doing it over there than from here.

Hope this helps

Jayne

A

andyWagner

hi y'all,

first of all i am sorry if our website happens to be slow sometimes. we have a lot more visitors of late then we used to and are actually thinking of moving our server from canada to europe to provide a better service.

as a matter of fact most serious accidents happen outside hurghada on the main roads going south and north. i have been driving cars here for more then 5 years and had only a minor bump when a pickup driver reversed and hit me while i was parked outside abu ashra.

the serious accidents happen because our egyptian friends actually think that driving fast is cool. the other thing is that there is no driving school system in egypt like we are used to. officially there is a very short physical driving test but most egyptians drive without a license or buy it in suez for about 50le.

it is actually the law to drive at night without a light (yup we checked this one out) the reason is (and i hope you are sitting down) so as not to blind the oncoming traffic with your headlights.

another main reason is of course that most cars belong in the car graveyard. there is no m.o.t. in egypt which explains a lot of burned out wrecks on the main desert roads.

have a great day
Andy Wagner
Hurghada Information Net

A

andyWagner

Hi

IVE LOOKED AROUND THIS FORUM FOR THE PAST HOUR AND CANT FIND WHAT IM LOOKING FOR SO SORRY IF ANYONE REPEATING INFO.
TRANSFER FROM HURGHADA AIRPORT TO ALBATROS BEACH RESORT HOTEL HOW MUCH? ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR BOOKING? IVE READ ON TRIP ADVISOR ABOUT PEOPLE GETTING RIPPED OFF ?
Any info would be great as travelling out soon and a bit nervous as normally with holiday company,but bookd flight and hotel separate.
sorry i forgot to answer the original question. why not just take a taxi outside the airport. the black and orange taxi's have a meter so there is not argument about the fare. the fare to the albatros from the airport should be around 30le.

sometimes the drivers will tell you the meter does not work, complain until he switches it on or get the next taxi. by law the meter must be working (always good to threaten with the tourist police).

this is by far the easiest and cheapest way. if there is no taxi when you get there wait a little or ask the guys at the snack-waggon on the car park if they will call one for you (buy a coke from them..this will help)

have a great day...
Andy Wagner
Hurghada Information Net

J

J4hurghada

Banned
Thanks for that Andy, your really putting me off driving.

So whats the chance of getting hold of an old wreck and doing it up

A

andyWagner

hi Jayne,

finding an old wreck is no problem. a couple of hundred le's will do. doing it up is more of a problem though. and i am not sure that you really want to do this....i say this because i would not trust any of the local 'mechanics' (smile) to work on a car which i have to drive. however having said this there is supposedly a swiss mechanic who opened shop just north of hurghada by the fishfarm...

there is a guy on stop shop street just on the corner where the abu ashra family market is that sells second hand cars at a fair price.

if you can not afford a new car (a new hyundai will cost around 35000le's in cairo then rent one long term. this is comparably expensive but at least the cost is spread out.

have a great day..
Andy Wagner
Hurghada Information Net

J

J4hurghada

Banned
thanks andy I was just thinking about somethng for my husband to do in the evenings, doing a really old wreck up with the locals.

L

lyndsay552

Any idea what the price of a new car is in hurghada?

A

andyWagner

Good morning all,

yes i can confirm this. however we found that the same car will cost about 20% less in cairo. so if you have the means and the time to shop around it certainly will save you some cash.

Y'all have a great day
Andy Wagner (currently in Austria)
Hurghada Information Net

A

andyWagner

Are there any websites?
there are not many...egyptian websites for egyptians are still not the way the egyptian business community thinks. the once that actually do operate a site are either religious or geared towards foreigners.

the only ones that i know off is Hyundai Motor Company in giza and the vw one in heliopolis...maybe this will get you started...i am not allowed to post the links here so just google for them. if you are not lucky then send a private message to me and i will send you the links...sorry

hope this helps

Andy Wagner (currently on holiday)
Hurghada Information Net

L

lyndsay552

Thanks for that. None of them seem to have prices. We're looking for either a large 4X4 or a Toyota Twin Cab Hilux. Any idea how much they would cost to rent or buy new?

Thanks again

Lyndsay

K

kimkonnoris

Headlights

Lol yes you are right It's amazing how they don't put on their headlights at night,Anybody know why?...
THE EGYPTIANS THINK THAT IF THEY PUT THERE HEADLIGHTS ON, IT WILL MAKE THERE BATTERY FLAT {TAXI DRIVER IN SHARM TOLD ME THIS WHEN I ASKED} LOL

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
THE EGYPTIANS THINK THAT IF THEY PUT THERE HEADLIGHTS ON, IT WILL MAKE THERE BATTERY FLAT {TAXI DRIVER IN SHARM TOLD ME THIS WHEN I ASKED} LOL
LOL not correct info only stupid do this way just its wrong driving concepts with some drivers not all;)

Last edited:
A

andyWagner

i actually got stopped and had to pay a fine for driving with my lights on all the time (ad night)...no joke....this happened just north of the police checkpoint in El Quesir...that was not funny....the argument was that i blinded a police car coming towards me....

Andy Wagner (currently on hols in Austria)
Hurghada Information Net

P

propertastic

That's even more stupid that when I got stopped in the Czech Republic where I used to live.

It was just starting to get a little dusky and so I put my lights on dimmed. I was stopped and told that I would be OK if I had no lights at all, or if they were on full, but dimmed headlights were illegal at any time of the day or night.

Daft.

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
i actually got stopped and had to pay a fine for driving with my lights on all the time (ad night)...no joke....this happened just north of the police checkpoint in El Quesir...that was not funny....the argument was that i blinded a police car coming towards me....

Andy Wagner (currently on hols in Austria)
Hurghada Information Net
Was it a check point or only car coming on the other direction of the road?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????