Use neutral colours to appeal to the mass market

N

nmb

While everybody likes to put their own personal touch on a property, if you're looking to sell real estate it is best to have neutral colours so that you can appeal to a wider market. A quirky, colourful and characteristic house is all good and well but what happens when you want to sell?

At the end of the day, a property is only worth as much as buyers are willing to pay. If there is less competition to buy your property, for whatever reason, this simply equates to less upward pressure on the sale price of your property.

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
We paint all our properties white inside and bring in touches of colour through the odd picture etc

White is easy to maintain, touch up and repaint individual walls so it's great for rental properties!

The days of magnolia everywhere are gone (for now!) and modern white is the way forward in my opinion.

R

Raven Terrance

The best advice I can give you is to look at the sold listings in your neighborhood that are comparable to yours. Check out their photos online and see what kind of colors and upgrades they used to sell their home. In many cases, it's a good idea to depersonalize your home throughout. Sometimes that means you might have to re-paint a custom wall that you did for the kids or taking down your favorite knickknack or sports displays etc... You might also want to add crown molding to some of your rooms to give them an upgrade. That is an inexpensive way to add perceived value to a home. Resurfacing worn down wood floors also really makes your interior pop and doesn't cost all that much. As you look through the sold photos, you will get a lot more ideas to make your house more appealing and sell quicker. Good luck and I hope your home sells quickly!

S

shinystar

Well rented properties too can be painted and decorated as per the choice of the paying guest.
Whites and cremes are best of all. Oil paints are better to maintain but they are glossy and reflects light and matte color loud or soft are easy to maintain too.
So it depends on the choice whether its a owned property or rented

N

nmb

When I look at posts about decor and different colours I often think about some of the "flamboyant" multi-million pound properties owned by high earning footballers. You have to wonder whether some of these properties would ever sale with there, to be polite, distinctively personal decor?