ad

UK property, where to buy and where to sell

• Thread starter totallyproperty
  • Start date
T

totallyproperty

Administrator
Staff member
The UK property market seems to be defying gravity but we are seeing some enormous swings in the performance of local property markets across the country.

Which local UK property market is over valued and which offers good value?

If you had to pick one area to buy and one to sell, what would they be?

Sell: London
Buy: Copeland in north-west England (see link below)

Link: House prices: Welcome to the last affordable area of England - Telegraph

KGeeson

KGeeson

Property Forum Staff
Forum Partner
Not being area-specific, but looking more at the types of UK property that are doing well... Student accommodation is booming according to this latest report from Savills. A very interesting read which you can download from their website.

A

awastson

There is no specific area to buy or sell a property. Still you want to know a particular area for property then according to my experience Northampton in east midlands is the place where you can easily manage your properties.

B

Barny

There is no specific area to buy or sell a property. Still you want to know a particular area for property then according to my experience Northampton in east midlands is the place where you can easily manage your properties.
That is true because every market is different and as you gain experience, you should 'get a feel' for your local market or the areas you're interested in. Investing in properties further afield for example can be worthwhile if you're able to have a valued management company look after your property(ies) for you and therefore offer you a fully 'hands off' approach. Being from the East of England, this is something I'm looking at because I'm aware house prices are far cheaper up north and would therefore require a reputable management company to aid me if I break into these areas.

Also, is your comment regarding Northampton being easy to manage properties as a result of the availability of worthy management companies?

George79

George79

It's always easier to start in some not-so-glamorous areas (relation north-west) and then spread to something more risky but with much more potential (relation south-east)

X

xclent

I agree, i see northampton and the surrounding area popping up a lot. anywhere benefitting from upcoming transport connections to london (of course).

George79

George79

I agree, i see northampton and the surrounding area popping up a lot. anywhere benefitting from upcoming transport connections to london (of course).
Absolutely. London is always a good idea :smile:

L

londonpropertyanalyst

buy battersea, elephant & castle and east London

macoto_

macoto_

Any opinions on the South West? I'm looking for something not too far from Bath/Bristol or possibly even South Wales.

B

Barny

Any opinions on the South West? I'm looking for something not too far from Bath/Bristol or possibly even South Wales.
I don't know myself and know they aren't overly close to Bath / Bristol but in the South of England I've heard that Bournemouth, Brighton and Southampton are all becoming more popular places for BTL investors, and that's for both holiday and residential lets

macoto_

macoto_

I don't know myself and know they aren't overly close to Bath / Bristol but in the South of England I've heard that Bournemouth, Brighton and Southampton are all becoming more popular places for BTL investors, and that's for both holiday and residential lets
I think that once I've got my first BTL and have found my feet then those might be places that I check out, thanks!