UK expats looking towards Spanish property market

T

totallyproperty

Administrator
Staff member
While Spanish real estate has been very much in the news over the last couple of years, with very few friends and very little interest, it seems the situation is changing. A number of reports over the last few days are suggesting that while approaching 100,000 UK expats" abandoned their Mediterranean dream" last year it seems that the tide is now turning.

What many see as "rock bottom prices" is apparently tempting those looking towards retirement to invest in the Spanish real estate market. Is now the right time to invest in Spanish property? Is the Spanish real estate market now over the worst?

S

SophieJuly

Hi,
Right now, as I see, the demand for Spanish properties is increasing gradually, at least in Barcelone and area Costa Del Sol. Many experts and real estate agents have positive forecast about the real estate market there as they also consider about new potential customers from Russia, Asia. Anyway, UK is still a big market to them. And I must agree with that.
I believe that the price will rise soon and 2014, 2015 is good time to invest in houses in Spain.

A

ajay72

Where in Spain would you buy? Based on the UK property market I could buy in London and spend a tonne of cash but know that my money is "as safe as houses" in the London micro economy. Or I could look to somewhere like Swansea, where they are about to get huge investment and if Cardiff is anything to go by will be worth considering. What is the Spanish equivalent?

Did that all make sense?

R

RPotticary

Brits are still the dominant force when it comes to foreigners buying property in Spain. They currently make up over 50% of the market. But, now the French are also buying more and more, generating more than 18% of the overseas inquiries for Spanish property in the first half of 2014 according to Kyero, the property website. The French have a flat economy and property market so investors are looking south of the border for a better return on their money.

K

KDFields

Hello,
I think it depends entirely on the area you are looking at in Spain. In Mallorca, and the Balearics as a whole, limited space, strict building laws and the potential holiday market in rentals makes investing in real estate a fairly safe option. And prices do seem to be bottoming out with sales on the rise. Of course choosing your area on the island itself is also a big part of getting your investment right.

T

tonymar

Property in now starting to sell again ,

last year we saw 4 sales in our village to people from the Uk,

Also the exchange rate is great at the moment an property is at an extra low price !!

think now is the time to buy !!

Tony Agost Alicante

K

KDFields

Mallorca

Friends in real estate here in Mallorca say properties are flying like cupcakes, specially in the luxury area around Andratx. There is definitely a certain buzz in the air.
KD

T

tonymar

Friends in real estate here in Mallorca say properties are flying like cupcakes, specially in the luxury area around Andratx. There is definitely a certain buzz in the air.
KD
Hi KD

Yes I think things are on the up !

last year we saw new ex pats moving into the area , that hasn't happened for a long long time !!

Now seems to be a great time to buy , low prices , strong pound !!

tony

K

KarenPete

Hi All

I agree things are starting to pick up in some areas. We have a place in San Pedro del Pinatar and recently have noticed prices starting to rise once again.

Quick question, and sorry if the context is outside this thread. Due to the launch of a new UK business we've decided to Exchange or Sell our place in Spain for a UK property (conditions apply). Where is the best place to advertise this as I feel there are probably a number of folks looking to start again who might be interested in this proposition? ;-)

Cheers

Karen