bastide - Provencal country house
bergerie - sheep farm
chai - warehouse for wines and spitis
chaumiere - thatched cottage
colombage - half-timbered (Normandy)
une etable - cowshed
fermette - farm cottage
fournil - bakehouse
gentilhommiere - gentleman's country abode!
grange - barn
grenier - attic
hotle de ville - town house
longere - long stone built farmhouse
maison d'amis - weekend house
maison bourgeoise - mansion
maison de maitre - gentleman's residence
maison paysanne - farm house
mas - low L-shaped (S France) farmhouse
pigeonnier - pigeon tower
Thanks in advance

B

bennett

Hi Benjamin,
French apartment types are determined by the number of rooms in the apartment. The kitchen, bathroom and toilet are not counted in this naming
system:

Studio Bachelor/studio apartment: one room with small kitchenette in the room
F1/T1 One-room apartment: separate kitchen
F2/T2 Two-room apartment: typically a living room, a kitchen, and a separate bedroom
F3/T3 Three-room apartment: typically a living room, a kitchen, and two separate bedrooms
F4/T4 Four-room apartment: typically a living room, a kitchen, and three separate bedrooms
F5/T5 Five-room apartment: typically a living room, a kitchen, and four separate bedrooms
Good luck

C

Cannes Flat

I've just bought a one bed in central Cannes and rental income is very good if you're not greedy. Best to buy as new as possible to keep fees and upkeep down.

P

ptemple

Some translations for Nice

Parfait pied a terre - it's *really* small
Avec chambre de bonne - it may have running water but it's still just an oversized cupboard in the attic
Permis de construire etait accorde - he chatted some guy in the Marie who said it would probably be ok
Le partie communes sera refait - the common areas are dire, but he really wants to make the sale (excused if he has it in minutes of Assemble Generale)
A cote de le tram - in the middle of nowhere
Quartier des Fleurs - depends, the supposed area appears to be growing each week
Vue sur les toits - it is in the Old Town and is 5/6th floor with no lift
Avec parking - knock 50k off the price if you don't need it

benjamin, if ever I need a place with a pigeon tower then I will owe you a debt of gratitude. And bennet you are correct but you just need to watch out that if the property lists "un salle a manger et un sejour" then these are often counted separately. Only applies normally to very large apartments.

Phillip.

D

dymphnaboholt

Hey Benjamin, bennett, and Phillip, thanks a ton for the basic information. Every bit helps.

O

odond

Parfait pied a terre - it's *really* small
Avec chambre de bonne - it may have running water but it's still just an oversized cupboard in the attic
Permis de construire etait accorde - he chatted some guy in the Marie who said it would probably be ok
Le partie communes sera refait - the common areas are dire, but he really wants to make the sale (excused if he has it in minutes of Assemble Generale)
A cote de le tram - in the middle of nowhere
Quartier des Fleurs - depends, the supposed area appears to be growing each week
Vue sur les toits - it is in the Old Town and is 5/6th floor with no lift
Avec parking - knock 50k off the price if you don't need it

benjamin, if ever I need a place with a pigeon tower then I will owe you a debt of gratitude. And bennet you are correct but you just need to watch out that if the property lists "un salle a manger et un sejour" then these are often counted separately. Only applies normally to very large apartments.

Phillip.
Philip this is hilarious and unfortunately quite true!

dee

Status
Not open for further replies.