Try to be Scottish!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sqftmag

<B>Moderator</B> & Senior Member
You might not know this, but if you're thinking of investing in Cyprus with a view to moving there, or renting out a holiday home that you'll enjoy, it pays to be Scottish.

There's more than a hint of Caledonia so far from home - the ex-pats are brimming with Scots so if, say you wanted to attend one of the more glitzy parties held at The Thalassa, it would be wrong to go as a supporter of all things English.

I was lucky enough to be invited to review properties in Cyprus by the Leptos family and incarcerated (sorry, accommodated) at the delightful 5* Thalassa Hotel. The food was a sublime mix of Australia-meets-North-London and presented such delights as Olive ice cream. (I kid you not.)

That aside, I was much taken with the area west of Paphos. The ex-pat community is large and welcoming. (Well I do have a Scottish father - note the surname.) My advice is to wear a kilt to ensure that the best price is obtained. (It will help in the humid evenings too.)

Curiously, I observed that the Russians are moving in on Cyprus. I met a charming gentleman from Moscow around the pool who told me he had brought cash. (Such strange scars he bore, but it seemed vulgar to ask.) It is not uncommon for cash to open doors. But as they say closer to home, plus ca change, rien ca change...

I do find it a little odd that the same solicitor often acts for the vendor and the purchaser simultaneously. But I am old-fashioned.

My most important advice is to ensure that you GET YOUR MITTS ON THE DEEDS at point of sale, or you might pay a hefty price for their release later on. But don't let this distract you from the real attraction - cocktail parties around the pool. I was lucky enough to be around for Nan Ensor's birthday party. (For Nan, think Bubbles Rothermere of Paphos.)

Any troubles dears, just tell them "Nan sent you!"

Bonne chance,
Michele

Status
Not open for further replies.