Transporting Animals? Quarantine period

Rivermead

Rivermead

I have a question and was hoping for some assistance from anybody who may have any suggestions on this...

I have a client who is looking at buying a property in Turkey and hoping to live there for several months at a time. However, they have a dog and it seems that when bringing the dog back from Turkey, there would be a lengthy quarantine period. This has been somewhat of a sticking point.

I have asked a few companies and done some research, even looking at coming back from Turkey via Italy or Bulgaria but there does not seem to be a way of avoiding the quarantine period.

If anybody knows of a way it can be done, or can confirm for certain that it can't then it would be greatly appreciated.

Tom - Rivermead Global Property

S

Steve Hand

Hi Tom,
I respond as a resident of Alanya, Turkey and as someone who has gone through the process of transporting dogs out here. In so far as i am aware, there is no way to avoid a lengthy period of quarantine each time the owner wishes to return back to the UK - this is simply due the the fact that UK (whilst it has a Pet Passport scheme) continues to consider a number of countries as high risk (those with a perceived high risk of rabies infected animals),including Turkey. In this respect, the animal would have to spend a long period of time in quarantine each time it left Turkey, before it could be transported back into the UK. Not ideal, either for the animal or the owner.

Rivermead

Rivermead

Thanks for the reply Steve,

I think your spot on with this. I thought as much myself but just wanted to know for certain. I wonder how long it will be until the rules change

H

horseblogger

Hi Tome,

I live in Bulgaria and this year I've had such problem with entering in UK. That is why I checked a lot of possibilities and I'll try to get you an idea.

There is no a legal way of do that. but I thing there is a semi-legal one.

Check again the information about the rules, so called PETS travel scheme at the site of DEFRA. If the dog has a blood test and stay for 6 months in EU country it is ok to enter UK. There is no need of quorantine in that case.

I've traveled through EU by car with my dog. The document of the dog is vet passport. There is no space for stamp at the passport. The custum officers just check papers. So, if your client come in Bulgaria and do the blood test here (there is only one laboratry in Sofia which do that, I can check for contact details, if you need). Then they can go to Turkey. If there is no stamp in the passport of the dog, 6 monts later they can come back to Bulgaria, get the test results and travel back to UK. They can say to the custom officer that the dog was staying in Bulgaria for 6 months, and show the test results from here.

It's just an idea. I hope it helps

onlinesimon

onlinesimon

No quarantine (PETS) passports

If anyone's interested about transporting their pets to and from other countries within Europe, then here is an informative article about the PETS certificate and quarantine rules. (I'm not allowed to place the link to please contact me and I'll pass on the article).

PETS is operated under the auspices of DEFRA - the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. There is some bureaucracy to be negogiated, but your family vet should be able to talk you through the requirements, as they should know the pets medical history. You pet will require a vet-administered tick and tapeworm treatment between 1 and 2 days before travel (the PETS certificate will confirm this).

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Simon.

changlee

changlee

I have a pet certificate for my dog. Is it possible to transfer it to Instabul?

S

Steve Hand

Changlee,
Your vet should know the answer.
I have German and Swedish clients that regularly fly into and out of Turkey with dogs - no need for quarantine.
I should imagine it depends where in Greece - mainland or island?

S

Steve Hand

Errrr..........ask some questions!!!
As i said, speak to your vet - he should have definitive answers.