?

What would you like to see in the Egypt Forum?

1. More information about different areas?

22 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. More legal advice on purchasing?

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  3. Regular updates on flights and flight costs?

21 vote(s)
    61.8%
  4. Regular updates on mortgage availability?

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Too Many Promotional Posts?

Discussion in 'Egypt property' started by Peter Mitry, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry <B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>

A number of concerns have been expressed that their are too many biased and promotional posts appearing on the Egypt Forum. It was always intended to be educational and informative and to encourage original content about life in Egypt in general, not just Hurghada or Sharm, although these are recognized as very important destinations.

During the weeks ahead the other Moderators and I will be attempting to reorganize the forum for the benefit of all those who are generally interested in Egypt as a place to live or Invest and not just as a platform for Developers or Agents with a vested interest. There is still a place for you all on the Forum but sales and promotional posts must be kept to the section which was designed for that purpose.

2. dave2u

dave2u New Member

i have been on this forum for many months and peter you have always had a biased view on sahl thats ok your selling it many posts ending up promoting your site.however recently you seem to have a little competition from other developers and i have noticed a bit of friendly friction on some posts.so leave it as it is its much more fun and believe it or not theres some good info given.if a post is just an adverstisment delete it.other than that leave it as it is it stimulates good debate and think it would be a shame to water down the object of the forum to help potential investors .

3. awahee123

awahee123 Banned

To be honest I think the more info everybody has the better it wud be for every one,covering more issues would certainly help rather than just property issues.

4. dave99

dave99 New Member

missing the point

Hi

You're mssing the point - we all agree that anything of interest is good but there has been many "posts" on this forum that have been out and out personal interest of agents, promoting specifiv properties by name - there is a "selling forum" and therefore that is where such posts must be posted.

5. awahee123

awahee123 Banned

Agreed,but are you not promoting red sea residencia at the bottom of your replies? and also red sea dev and the sponsored links are also here. Not getting onto any body but I think there are a lot of new people on here and it will certainly help them. I think variety is the spice of life wouldnt you agree.I know some people are promoting what they want to ,but its all info for people without knowledge.I really dont think its worth falling out over.

6. dave99

dave99 New Member

Flood of posts

Anybody else notice the flood of post about Desert Pearl or is it just me being a bit "par.......".

''

7. awahee123

awahee123 Banned

I think once an issue is touched upon everybody who has an interest in that particular item, just explodes on the same issue , not a bad thing for sharing ,especially for investors who havent visited Egypt.

8. dave99

dave99 New Member

Miss posting / promotion or what

How does this post in the thread on Regency have any value then ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"i think you will find the quality on dessert pearl is spot on and is being built to a high spec as this builder has a good repuation in hurghada and is one of the biggist developers in the area. so i do not think theres a problem here but as for others well as we are always saying you need to do your homework before buying

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by dave2u : Today at 08:29 PM. "

Not what I see as good "moderating" !!!

9. awahee123

awahee123 Banned

I think a few threads go off in different directions just as this one is doing,is there a real issue about that? what would you suggest?

10. dave99

dave99 New Member

A bit of moderator action - this specific post adds nothing, clearly has self-interest, is in the wrong place,

- just what is the moderator role anyway

If this is accepable then there is no point in threads being threads - we might as well all post anything on any anything just because ee want to add the name of our favourite development somewhere else that it may not have got onto yet.

This method of "name" dropping has been common practise by some members and its getting silly.

The last one was a batch on Regency Towers, before that Sahl Hasheesh "popped up" everywhere, before that we had Coral Pearl etc.

11. Peter Mitry

Moderator Action?

Over the months that the Egypt forum has been existence there have been some really excellent contributions which I am sure will have helped many people over many different issues. However, those representing agents or Developers (and before someone takes a 'pop' that includes me!) have taken every opportunity to name drop and in some instances may even have got their friends or colleagues to do the same.
    Moderator action could mean that awahee and I go through every post and physically either delete or move suspect posting to where it belongs; this is time consuming and negative. It would be far better if the people involved stop name dropping, stop boosting their own particular product and just let the public decide.
    The Moderators will certainly be encouraging new threads to broaden the debate on Egypt and bring in new members.
    It has been a refreshing change this week to see some really informed comment by Red Sea Furniture; actually living and working in Hurghada and not directly involved in selling property. It has also made one or two contributors stop and think about the accuracy of some of the earlier posts.
    If it proves necessary Moderators will act; but the best regulation is self regulation so why don't we each individually take responsibility for our own actions and keep the forum positive, informative and interesting; then let the other members decide how we are doing.

12. dave99

dave99 New Member

Lead by example

Peter

It is clear that action is being taken to "assist" on this board, which is great but however your suggestion on self-regulation is "daft" - we need firm action to start with, then see what happens once the moderators have recovered control.

And most of all you need to "lead by example" - absolutely no more posts from you about Sahl, including no defence by you of others commenting on any aspect of Sahl - leave it to other board members, or stop being a moderator.

13. awahee123

awahee123 Banned

HI everyone,

I think self regulation is a good thing nobody is saying there wont be any regulation,all that is being said is that it is better for everyone to THINK and not give reason for their threads or posts to be REMOVED.After all if their piece is removed they will have wasted their time.
    So everyone who has previously posted promotional information please dont spoil it for the others lets keep it nice and tidy with good clear discussion,which will educate us all.

14. --2cents

--2cents New Member

I think the readers also need to "read between the lines" of posts. It would also be nice if users can flag up blatant self promotion that may not otherwise be picked up by say a new member who is trying to figure out who is who (like me at the time of writing).

Perhaps users flagging posts within the thread will be sufficient to dent the reputation of the poster? I think over moderation (unless required) can be a bad thing too, so giving users the control maybe the way to go.

15. dave99

dave99 New Member

Confused

Not sure what you mean by "users" - everyone that is some sort of member can "post", there are other "users" being guests who can only read, there are also, members like me who PAY to have extra access, and "signatures" that are a bit of an advert (which is very obvious).

The least obvious (and most disliked) is that the Moderators do not show what their real life activity is or what self-interests they have.

It's time for Moderators to have TWO "names" and to post personal stuff outside of the Moderator role...

16. awahee123

awahee123 Banned

Hi ,
    I thought this was a property forum for Egypt,I think ive come to the wrong place as the above post seems to be slating the moderators,oh sorry nothing new there then.

17. medseA

medseA http://www.turkish-property-world.com

the selling form has been working great for everyone over the year.

18. awahee123

awahee123 Banned

Yes lets hope everyone can put all their promotional sales stuff where it should be,this will also allow the sales forum to grow.

19. Peter Mitry

Thanks a million to all members of the forum! We finally seem to have got the promotional stuff where it belongs and we are getting some interesting debate going on key issues.

20. awahee123

awahee123 Banned

Yes its looking good, lets keep it up, the last couple of weeks have seen some good developments on this forum, well done to everyone lets keep it going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.