Tips

queenie40something

queenie40something

Has anyone anytips they would like to share.

Heres a few of mine.

If you get pharaohs revenge then get to the chemist and get some Antinal. The price should only be about 90p. Some chemists will try and rip you off.
In Sharm it has been known that they will try and charge a tenner!!
Just ask to see the pack and the price will clearly be on it if not and they still try and charge more tell them you are going to report them to the tourist police and hey presto you will get it at the correct price.

Plugs are 2 pin round European ones.

Ladies - keep your make up in the fridge especially lipstick.

Take some ice cube bags with you.

If you are sight seeing in Cairo or Luxor wear loose clothing and comfy shoes. A brolly or parasol will come in handy to shade you from the sun.

Deet for mozzies.

L

Lsab

Nice thread Queenie.

I take a bottle of water everywhere. Difference being that I keep it in the freezer until just before we go out. It defrosts quickly enough to drink but keeps cold for ages. If it's a large bottle - freeze half and top up with cold before you leave.

I second the Antinal. My friend in Cairo swears by it - her kids range in age from 5 to 18 and she uses it for all of them. We bought a couple of boxes back with us last time we were there, though haven't needed to use it fortunately. It can be used if you're pregnant or breast feeding and for very young children.

Last edited:
queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi all

Lidl's have window locks that you can attach to the inside of your windows and patio doors and an alarm goes off ( not connected to police station but acts as a deterrant ) if anyone tries to enter.

They are bought in packs of 4 for £3. My friend buys them for her daughter as she is an air hostess and puts them on her hotel windows to feel a little safer at night.

Good idea I thought for the apartments??

queenie40something

queenie40something

Trips

Shop around for any trips as they will be alot cheaper than with the reps in your hotel.

You can easily arrange a trip to Cairo or Luxor quite cheaply yourselves via Egyptair - pick Egypt as the country as you go into the site as you will get cheaper prices. The earlier you book the cheaper the prices tend to be also.
You can then book a guide yourself with driver. We done this last year and flights were £30 each return and guide and driver £10 each for the whole day.
Just print off your e - ticket and take to check in.

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Shop around for any trips as they will be alot cheaper than with the reps in your hotel.

You can easily arrange a trip to Cairo or Luxor quite cheaply yourselves via Egyptair - pick Egypt as the country as you go into the site as you will get cheaper prices. The earlier you book the cheaper the prices tend to be also.
You can then book a guide yourself with driver. We done this last year and flights were £30 each return and guide and driver £10 each for the whole day.
Just print off your e - ticket and take to check in.
website is EgyptAir

L

Lsab

Seeing as we haven't had a tip for ages I thought I'd add one.

It just occurred to me as I was hanging out the washing, that if you do the same rather than use a drier, it's a good idea to turn everything inside out before you do so. The sun bleaches fabrics really fast and this way you'll keep the colour on the right side for longer. Of course you can always just take them to the laundry :D

L

lyndsay552

I hadn't thought of that. Good tip.

I was just packing up our dinning room and I had a brown table runner, the end beside the patio doors was nearly white compared to the other end which had stayed brown.

Just goes to show how much damage the sun can do.

Lyndsay

queenie40something

queenie40something

I think we will keep all our curtains closed when the apartment is not in use and also when we are out in the day.

V

vix

I think we will keep all our curtains closed when the apartment is not in use and also when we are out in the day.
You can get a lining material, similiar to the black out lining, that protects againt the sun. Worth asking about if having curtains made out there.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Vix - thanks - yes the ones we are getting are the double lined ones.

Excuse my ignorance ref air cons. But do we need to do anything with them other than turn them on and off?? Eg do they need to be topped up with water or are they automatically fitted to the water system??. I have an air con at home that needs to be filled manually with either ice or water.

Thanks

L

Lsab

We've always had central a/c but I'm almost certain you don't have to do anything with the individual wall mounted ones either.

J

johnwayne

Banned
In hotels they close the curtains in guest rooms to keep them cool. I have started doing that here in the UK - as our bedrooms are hit by the sun in the afternoon. Then again I hear you thinking - what sun?
Might invest in some white blackout curtains though for Egypt.