There is more to Brazil than Natal - Discover Maceio

B

Brazilian Homes

Even though we are very Pro on Natal, after all we are based in Natal, we feel Brazil is such a wonderful country and more places deserve attention. Natal is great, but it is definitely not the only place to invest in Brazil.

One of our long term favorites in Brazil is the beautiful city of Maceió, state capital of Alagoas. Still relatively unknown outside of Brazil, but this is changing fast. Besides the several domestic flights, Maceió now gets two weekly flights from Italy as well. The new international airport completed a few years ago and is the first airport in Brazil to function on natural gas.

During the last years, several top international luxury brands have purchased land in Maceió, and the city will see some very up market projects in the next few years. Here is a summary of some:

Radisson Hotels are already building a 5 star hotel by the beach in Maceió city center. The hotel has 200 rooms and a 800 person event area.

Aman Resorts, which already has luxury intimate retreats in Thailand, Bali, India, Sri Lanka, and the Caribbean, will undertake the construction of another six-star hotel in the south coast of the Maceió; the high level development offers 6 km stretch of beach and will also have a luxury residential condominium as part of the resort.

Established in 1995 Six Senses is a resorts and spa management and development company, managing resorts under different brand names - Soneva, Six Senses Hideaway, Six Senses Latitudes, and Evason; plus Six Senses Spas and Six Senses Destination Spas. They chose Maceió as well for their Brazilian Resort developments.

Maceió is definitely one of the most stunning cities in Brazil. We are interested in hearing what other people think about Maceió.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Has the crime rate gone down there yet? I remember that the state police were on strike for 5 or 6 months last year and things were getting out of control.

B

Brazilian Homes

Maceio is safe

Maceio is one of the safest cities in Brazil. There was a strike yes, but that happens once in a while in most brazilian cities, not only in Maceió. (the average police salary is very, very low in Brazil)

Someone in this forum must have been in Maceió besides us. Please, share your experiences with the rest of the community. We met a lot of foreign tourists in Maceio and everyone seem to love the city.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Police strikes do happen everywhere in the world, but not usually for 6 months. I assume that things have calmed down a lot then.

J

JMBroad

Maceio is one of the safest cities in Brazil. There was a strike yes, but that happens once in a while in most brazilian cities, not only in Maceió. (the average police salary is very, very low in Brazil)

Someone in this forum must have been in Maceió besides us. Please, share your experiences with the rest of the community. We met a lot of foreign tourists in Maceio and everyone seem to love the city.
Haven't had the chance yet - visited quite a few other cities besides Natal but Maceió wasn't one of the ones I visited.

J

Joachim

Absolutely. I have not been to Alagoas because of work in Natal.

It seems to be very interesting. I got to know everything about Ceara from tip to tip and its nice and relatively cheaper then RN in prices, however, despite many opinions of other people I just don't like it as much as Natal and its beaches. Even more windy, rough sea with no swimming allowed at most beach places and it the city does not give me the same vibe as Natal does for some strange reason.

It has more nice historical buildings but also is over-developed and claustrobic. The only place that might have a good future is Canoa Quebrada if developers plant lots of coconut trees around it :) because of the Aracati airport and Fortim is where the rich Cearense have their summer homes.

Spanish group wants to develop a golf course with a Greg Norman design in Fortim, but, nothing has happened until now (probably ran out of money due to the housing crisis in Spain).

Alagoas, on the other hand, is for me much more so then Paraiba and Pernambuco the next best thing to Rio Grande do Norte. Especially if Aman and Six Senses are developing over there.

If you like exclusive beach places the northeast (excluding Bahia) the places are going to be (my personal opinion must beautiful or because of logistical sense):

Ceara - Fortim, Canoa Quebrada, Lagoainha (don't believe in Cumbuco)
Rio Grande do Norte - Jacuma, Cabo Sao Roque, Sao Miguel de Gostoso (future)
Pernambuco - Reef Club area (bordering Alagoas)
Alagoas - Sao Miguel dos Milagres, place in the south coast cannot remember the name

My short opinion ;)

J

JMBroad

If you like exclusive beach places the northeast (excluding Bahia) the places are going to be (my personal opinion must beautiful or because of logistical sense):

Ceara - Fortim, Canoa Quebrada, Lagoainha (don't believe in Cumbuco)
Rio Grande do Norte - Jacuma, Cabo Sao Roque, Sao Miguel de Gostoso (future)
Pernambuco - Reef Club area (bordering Alagoas)
Alagoas - Sao Miguel dos Milagres, place in the south coast cannot remember the name

My short opinion ;)
Not so sure about Canoa Quebrada - there are so many mega developments being sold around it (including the one with 3000 plots of land on which each person needs to build a septic tank and a water well) that I'm concerned it will remain special.

Re. the Rio Grande do Norte selection I'm surprised you didn't put Ponta do Pirambu (nr Pipa) or Tourinhos (nr. Sao Miguel do Gostoso) into that selection. Both are stunning and (more importantly for me) won't change in the next five to ten years at least.

The beach to the left of Ponta do Pirambu is absolutely stunning and hardly anyone is ever there - there is limited access and no developments in sight.

Tourinhos is so massive and so breathtaking that even if there were people all over the beach (which I doubt there ever are given its size and the difficult access) the pure beauty of the landscape would outweigh the other people there. Plus the whole land on that beach belongs to a chap who has vowed not to change a thing until he dies - you can go chat with him at his bar on the nearest side of the beach and hear it from him.

Jacuma is lovely but developments being built on the beach so while it will be stunning for the residents, why would non-residents go there when they can go somewhere else and have the beach to themselves.

And Cabo Sao Roque may not be so exclusive soon - it's one of the most beautiful bays I've seen in a while at the moment but another mega-development is planned for there which again... will make it perfect for residents and a scratch off the list for everyone else.

I'd have to give a mention to another beach in Pipa just because of the whole attraction thing - Bay of Dolphins always gets me going simply because I love swimming with wild dolphins.

And last but not least Sao Miguel do Gosotoso is fantastic right now - not crowded, fun bunch of people, trendy parties exciting water sports and although there are some developments planned there all the ones I've seen the plans of are low density and planned in such a way to help the location retain it's charm not only for residents but for everyone else too.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Not so sure about Canoa Quebrada - there are so many mega developments being sold around it (including the one with 3000 plots of land on which each person needs to build a septic tank and a water well) that I'm concerned it will remain special.

Re. the Rio Grande do Norte selection I'm surprised you didn't put Ponta do Pirambu (nr Pipa) or Tourinhos (nr. Sao Miguel do Gostoso) into that selection. Both are stunning and (more importantly for me) won't change in the next five to ten years at least.

The beach to the left of Ponta do Pirambu is absolutely stunning and hardly anyone is ever there - there is limited access and no developments in sight.

Tourinhos is so massive and so breathtaking that even if there were people all over the beach (which I doubt there ever are given its size and the difficult access) the pure beauty of the landscape would outweigh the other people there. Plus the whole land on that beach belongs to a chap who has vowed not to change a thing until he dies - you can go chat with him at his bar on the nearest side of the beach and hear it from him.

Jacuma is lovely but developments being built on the beach so while it will be stunning for the residents, why would non-residents go there when they can go somewhere else and have the beach to themselves.

And Cabo Sao Roque may not be so exclusive soon - it's one of the most beautiful bays I've seen in a while at the moment but another mega-development is planned for there which again... will make it perfect for residents and a scratch off the list for everyone else.

I'd have to give a mention to another beach in Pipa just because of the whole attraction thing - Bay of Dolphins always gets me going simply because I love swimming with wild dolphins.

And last but not least Sao Miguel do Gosotoso is fantastic right now - not crowded, fun bunch of people, trendy parties exciting water sports and although there are some developments planned there all the ones I've seen the plans of are low density and planned in such a way to help the location retain it's charm not only for residents but for everyone else too.
Regarding Ponto do Pirambu, we have a small development there, but it wont be visible from the beach as it is about 30 metres back from the cliffs which is in my opinion the great charm of Pipa as most beaches there back on to cliffs leaving the beaches looking very undeveloped.

The Bay of Dolphins will never have any developments anywhere near there as it is all protected atlantic forest above the beach. I doubt there will even ever be access to the beach in any other way than by sea or the beach at low tide.

I have seen a couple of large projects for sale in Sao Miguel do Gostoso, but whether they get full approval in that form is another question. I will be up there next week to see what is happening.

J

JMBroad

Regarding Ponto do Pirambu, we have a small development there, but it wont be visible from the beach as it is about 30 metres back from the cliffs which is in my opinion the great charm of Pipa as most beaches there back on to cliffs leaving the beaches looking very undeveloped.

The Bay of Dolphins will never have any developments anywhere near there as it is all protected atlantic forest above the beach. I doubt there will even ever be access to the beach in any other way than by sea or the beach at low tide.

I have seen a couple of large projects for sale in Sao Miguel do Gostoso, but whether they get full approval in that form is another question. I will be up there next week to see what is happening.
Largest one I've seen in SMG still is only something like 15% density - while the plots are very big the impact the actual constructed area will have on the surrounding areas and beaches is tiny compared to most other areas outside of Brazil or in city centres. I try and spend as many weekends as I can up there.

J

Joachim

About the RN selection, the beaches I was mentioning was actually meant for residents or guys that want to buy upper scale developments ;)

Tibau do Sul features in that list as well, I agree. Pipa not so. Sibauma tell me will be but I dont like the natural features over there.

If you want to talk about virgin beaches (and will stay like that, more or less) then I guess Fernando de Noronha, Ilha Boipeba near Morro Sao Paulo, Panaiba Delta, Jericoacoara (inside the protected APA),Rio Tinto in Paraiba at the Indian Reservation and Baia Formosa in RN is also very nice.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
About the RN selection, the beaches I was mentioning was actually meant for residents or guys that want to buy upper scale developments ;)

Tibau do Sul features in that list as well, I agree. Pipa not so. Sibauma tell me will be but I dont like the natural features over there.

If you want to talk about virgin beaches (and will stay like that, more or less) then I guess Fernando de Noronha, Ilha Boipeba near Morro Sao Paulo, Panaiba Delta, Jericoacoara (inside the protected APA),Rio Tinto in Paraiba at the Indian Reservation and Baia Formosa in RN is also very nice.
Joachim, It is interesting that you say that about Pipa, which parts of Pipa have you been to?

C

Celt

I spent carnaval in Maceió last year and very impressed. Beautiful beachfront apartments, excellent beaches and good nightlife. I did not encounter any security problems at all. Apart from Italians, I think that there are charters from Argentina too. Certainly one to watch!

Celt

Even though we are very Pro on Natal, after all we are based in Natal, we feel Brazil is such a wonderful country and more places deserve attention. Natal is great, but it is definitely not the only place to invest in Brazil.

One of our long term favorites in Brazil is the beautiful city of Maceió, state capital of Alagoas. Still relatively unknown outside of Brazil, but this is changing fast. Besides the several domestic flights, Maceió now gets two weekly flights from Italy as well. The new international airport completed a few years ago and is the first airport in Brazil to function on natural gas.

During the last years, several top international luxury brands have purchased land in Maceió, and the city will see some very up market projects in the next few years. Here is a summary of some:

Radisson Hotels are already building a 5 star hotel by the beach in Maceió city center. The hotel has 200 rooms and a 800 person event area.

Aman Resorts, which already has luxury intimate retreats in Thailand, Bali, India, Sri Lanka, and the Caribbean, will undertake the construction of another six-star hotel in the south coast of the Maceió; the high level development offers 6 km stretch of beach and will also have a luxury residential condominium as part of the resort.

Established in 1995 Six Senses is a resorts and spa management and development company, managing resorts under different brand names - Soneva, Six Senses Hideaway, Six Senses Latitudes, and Evason; plus Six Senses Spas and Six Senses Destination Spas. They chose Maceió as well for their Brazilian Resort developments.

Maceió is definitely one of the most stunning cities in Brazil. We are interested in hearing what other people think about Maceió.

B

Brazilian Homes

Hi Celt,

Happy to hear you liked it. I am pretty sure anyone that visits Maceió, will feel like you about the city. I haven´t spent Carnaval in Maceió, but almost everywhere else. How was the carnaval in Maceió?

The city will receive plenty of new flights this and next year, from abroad and also from Brazil. You are right, Argentineans already fly there, and they have a reputation from going to the nicest areas in Brazil....

What I like about Maceió is that the city is really by the beach. The beach promenade is over 10km long and the whole city can be seen walking mornings and evenings along the promenade. The restaurants are good and in general, the whole city is extremely clean and has a very good "wibe" about it.

Diving as well is great. Just grab a boat and in a few minutes you arrive in the "natural pools". Last time I was there, we had a business meeting with a few property developers in Maceió. Instead of meeting in an office, we rented a boat and went out to the natural pool just in front of the city center. Not a bad way to conduct a business meeting.....

There is an old abandoned pier in the center as well, and that area will be converted into a "gastronomical" center, full of restaurants and bars. It has been approved already by city officials and will make the city even nicer.

C

Celt

Hi,

I stayed in Jatiuca with the family for a week so it was not a wild carnaval but very pleasant all the same. I agree the beach promenade is stunning and and that the city has great potential. Hopefully there will more more charters from Europe soon. By the way, how do the prices there compare with say Ponta Negra?

QUOTE=Brazilian Homes;95207]Hi Celt,

Happy to hear you liked it. I am pretty sure anyone that visits Maceió, will feel like you about the city. I haven´t spent Carnaval in Maceió, but almost everywhere else. How was the carnaval in Maceió?

The city will receive plenty of new flights this and next year, from abroad and also from Brazil. You are right, Argentineans already fly there, and they have a reputation from going to the nicest areas in Brazil....

What I like about Maceió is that the city is really by the beach. The beach promenade is over 10km long and the whole city can be seen walking mornings and evenings along the promenade. The restaurants are good and in general, the whole city is extremely clean and has a very good "wibe" about it.

Diving as well is great. Just grab a boat and in a few minutes you arrive in the "natural pools". Last time I was there, we had a business meeting with a few property developers in Maceió. Instead of meeting in an office, we rented a boat and went out to the natural pool just in front of the city center. Not a bad way to conduct a business meeting.....

There is an old abandoned pier in the center as well, and that area will be converted into a "gastronomical" center, full of restaurants and bars. It has been approved already by city officials and will make the city even nicer.[/QUOTE]

D

DGM42

I went to Maceio last year and we had a great time, I will go definatly go again
I am also interested in looking at investing there. I found it a very friendly place to visit.
There is a lot to do and see in the area.

P

PeteZTrucker

I´ve lived in Maceio for 14 years. Lots of interesting property for sale, not that I have anything to do with real estate, other than to buy it.
Crime? Well, depends where you go. I´ve never had a problem.

D

dhoskings

I went to Maceio last year and we had a great time, I will go definatly go again
I am also interested in looking at investing there. I found it a very friendly place to visit.
There is a lot to do and see in the area.
It reminds me of a modern fuengirola or benidorm with all the high rises.

D

Dotty

Banned
There is definately more to Brasil than Natal! Brasil is a wonderful country and other states are doing a great job at record speed rates to bring quality living to it's people and visitors.

Joao Pessoa (Paraiba)is one of those great states .The last time I 'd visited J.P was over 14 yrs ago when the population was about 280,000 mil people and has since grown to over 750,000! With its growth has grown it's modern infrastructure.

The contrast is immense from so long ago.High points for:

Litter bins every 50 meters along the prestine Urban beach.
Bus shelters that are 2 sided that keep you out of the blazing heat.
Disabled and buggy ramps on almost every street corner,clearly sign posted .
Full of greenery on every street and avenue(the second greenest city on the planet after Paris)
First class Science Museum designed by the great Oscar Neymeiyer with outstanding landscape and line.
Stunning Zoological area where you can see all kinds of Brasilian animals in their natural habitat.
120 new buses designed with all modcon adapted for the disabled and buggied families.
Water logged free city when it pours.What a surprise is that!!

We visited with Brasilians from Natal and we all gave a massive thumbs up.Well done Joao Pessoa a fine example of a well run and progressively planned City.

Prices are slightly cheaper,but those that invested a while back will be reaping returns.The food and bars were great.Perfect visit can't wait to get back !

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
There is definately more to Brasil than Natal! Brasil is a wonderful country and other states are doing a great job at record speed rates to bring quality living to it's people and visitors.

Joao Pessoa (Paraiba)is one of those great states .The last time I 'd visited J.P was over 14 yrs ago when the population was about 280,000 mil people and has since grown to over 750,000! With its growth has grown it's modern infrastructure.

The contrast is immense from so long ago.High points for:

Litter bins every 50 meters along the prestine Urban beach.
Bus shelters that are 2 sided that keep you out of the blazing heat.
Disabled and buggy ramps on almost every street corner,clearly sign posted .
Full of greenery on every street and avenue(the second greenest city on the planet after Paris)
First class Science Museum designed by the great Oscar Neymeiyer with outstanding landscape and line.
Stunning Zoological area where you can see all kinds of Brasilian animals in their natural habitat.
120 new buses designed with all modcon adapted for the disabled and buggied families.
Water logged free city when it pours.What a surprise is that!!

We visited with Brasilians from Natal and we all gave a massive thumbs up.Well done Joao Pessoa a fine example of a well run and progressively planned City.

Prices are slightly cheaper,but those that invested a while back will be reaping returns.The food and bars were great.Perfect visit can't wait to get back !
Dotty,

Are you selling real estate in JP now? It looks like you got all those point off a agent's website? :D

Regards,
Rob.

D

Dotty

Banned
Robh,

I have just returned from J.P .And I do not have any properties in J.P just a clear opinion and facts of my experiences .whilst there.

Hope this helps!QUOTE=robh;106581]Dotty,

Are you selling real estate in JP now? It looks like you got all those point off a agent's website? :D

Regards,
Rob.[/QUOTE]