The UAE's population will exceed five million by the end 0f 09

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kannus

The UAE's population will exceed five million for the first time at the end of this year, new official figures show.

The bulk of the increase of nearly 300,000 people will be in the expatriate community while Dubai is projected to maintain its status as the most populated emirate in the UAE for the second year running, the Ministry of Economy report said.

The report goes against previous claims that the UAE's population would shrink in 2009, mainly due to the thousands of expats who lost their jobs during the global economic crisis and left the country.

But the new report says the country's total population will peak at more than 5 million at the end of 2009, an annual growth of around 6.3 percent, Emirates Business reported.

The local population will grow from about 892,000 at the end of 2008 to 923,000 at the end of 2009 while expatriates will increase from about 3.8 million to 4.1 million.

Dubai was the most populated emirate at the end of 2008 after overtaking Abu Dhabi for the first time, and is expected to surge to 1.7 million by the end of 2009, the report added.

Abu Dhabi is projected to reach 1.6 million at the end of 2009 with Sharjah he third most populated emirate with more than 1 million people projected to live there at the end of 2009.

The UAE has a dominant young population, the report showed, with the 25-29 years emerging as the largest group of about 777,000 at the end of 2008, expected to peak at 830,000 at the end this year.

I GUESS THE EXISTING VACANT FLATS WILL NOT BE SUFFICIENT TO CATER THE INCOMMING CROWD ;-)

B

baba toto

The UAE's population will exceed five million for the first time at the end of this year, new official figures show.

The bulk of the increase of nearly 300,000 people will be in the expatriate community while Dubai is projected to maintain its status as the most populated emirate in the UAE for the second year running, the Ministry of Economy report said.

The report goes against previous claims that the UAE's population would shrink in 2009, mainly due to the thousands of expats who lost their jobs during the global economic crisis and left the country.

But the new report says the country's total population will peak at more than 5 million at the end of 2009, an annual growth of around 6.3 percent, Emirates Business reported.

The local population will grow from about 892,000 at the end of 2008 to 923,000 at the end of 2009 while expatriates will increase from about 3.8 million to 4.1 million.

Dubai was the most populated emirate at the end of 2008 after overtaking Abu Dhabi for the first time, and is expected to surge to 1.7 million by the end of 2009, the report added.

Abu Dhabi is projected to reach 1.6 million at the end of 2009 with Sharjah he third most populated emirate with more than 1 million people projected to live there at the end of 2009.

The UAE has a dominant young population, the report showed, with the 25-29 years emerging as the largest group of about 777,000 at the end of 2008, expected to peak at 830,000 at the end this year.

I GUESS THE EXISTING VACANT FLATS WILL NOT BE SUFFICIENT TO CATER THE INCOMMING CROWD ;-)
Lets hope so, for the sake of those who invested in Dubai property. Are there enough jobs to cater for this crowd?

K

kannus

I personally dont thik the above article reflects the true scenerio of todays Dubai. Though its been published in AB, i dont think the editors have updated themselves before publishing this. Anyone with a minimum commonsense can understand the current situation even without reading any articles...Hope Dubai will come back to its prosperity soon( without having a clue HOW?)

D

desres

I really dont think so ... tell me ..... what are these people going to move to Dubai for when the job situation is very minimal & salaries have been cut & still very high rents compared to the saleries ... what they goin to do live on the beach !!

S

sasherwani2

I disagree with the growth rate used (6.3%). It is absurd, baseless and outdated. It was probably the growth rate during mid2008. Currently the growth rate is declining...but ofcourse, you wont find it in the newspapers. Recession isnt the only reason why prices have dropped 60%, there is an increasing oversupply of finished properties too!

K

kannus

Exactly...We dont need any census or official confirmation on Dubai's population. Just take your time and stand during peak hours 8-9 am and 5-6 pm....The roads are hardly conjested unlike during the mid of 08's...Whom are they trying to convince??

Status
Not open for further replies.