texas or atlanta???

D

dianemh

hello all,

We are very interested in buying several investment properties in America, the question is where??
Think I have a short list of Atlanta and Texas.... Atlanta because the rental return seems attractive and Texas because it seems like a safe bet?

Out of these two options what would be the best? or is there somewhere else that i should be looking at??

thanks in advance....

Bob Simcock

Bob Simcock

Hi dianemh'
I'm a Kiwi investor with properties in Atlanta. I visited a number of states before investing there. Both the major Texan cities and Atlanta have a recent history of large population growth and and both have richly diversified economies. Neither State experienced the worst of the property price inflation compared to other states. But in the short term the Texan economy seems to be stronger than the Georgian economy because of the energy industry. And the Texan economy seems to have had a lesser foreclosure volume, therefore the better returns in Atlanta. I chose Atlanta because I am baseing my investment on cash return, (14-15% net). It doesn't then matter how far out any capital apreciation might be.
Bob Simcock

A

atlantarealtor

Hi Diane,

I cannot speak for Texas, but the rental return in Atlanta is very good. Single family homes outside of Atlanta for $50,000, renting for over $1200 per month, and townhomes in the $30's for $850- 900 per month. There are properties less than 10 years old. You make your money back in less that 5 years, and have an asset ready for sale. There is no shortage of renters here either. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

T

Tandem Realty

hello all,

We are very interested in buying several investment properties in America, the question is where??
Think I have a short list of Atlanta and Texas.... Atlanta because the rental return seems attractive and Texas because it seems like a safe bet?

Out of these two options what would be the best? or is there somewhere else that i should be looking at??

thanks in advance....
I've heard great things about Atlanta. Value in Texas seems to be dipping, unless near a big city.

T

toonarmy88

Hi Diane,

I cannot speak for Texas, but the rental return in Atlanta is very good. Single family homes outside of Atlanta for $50,000, renting for over $1200 per month, and townhomes in the $30's for $850- 900 per month. There are properties less than 10 years old. You make your money back in less that 5 years, and have an asset ready for sale. There is no shortage of renters here either. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!
Hi iam interested in investing in buy to let properties in the states

Can you give me more details on what areas in atlanta where you can find these properties with the stated returns?

Thanks

C

coleman chong

Hi, does anyone have any contact for good real estate agent in Atlanta? Do you mind to PM me?

Which neighbourhood in Atlanta has good rental demand? Appreciate you can list down some?

Thanks.

A

Atlbroker

I am a real estate broker in Atlanta and also have agents in Florida. I know the comparison is Texas v. Atlanta and I will say hands down go with Atlanta. Several reasons come to mind, Atlanta is a major commerce hub for the southeast and many worldwide corporations are based here. Coca Cola for example. The other item is property taxes, they are extremely low compared to other major cities. Fulton county(downtown Atlanta) is slightly higher than the surrounding areas(Cobb, Gwinnett, Forsyth, Dekalb counties). One of the hottest spots in Atlanta currently is the Atlantic Station/Midtown area. The second spot I would say is Buckhead, the city is putting great efforts to revitalize this area.

S

stdownes

Hi Coleman,

I recently purchased 2 properties in the Jonesboro and Lithonia areas of Atlanta, which are both rented out to private tenants (non HUD). I believe that the Decatur and Riverdale areas of Atlanta also have robust rental demand. I am currently netting just over 12% on each property. I would be happy to introduce you to my broker if you are interested. Let me know.

Regards

Steven

T

toonarmy88

What other costs are involved when seeking oversees property in USA

How does the Tax work?

Would i have to pay US tax aswell as UK?

Any one?

S

stdownes

Yes, you will pay tax in the US, but it depends on the level of your income. You pay 10% on the first $8700, but you should also have a personal allowance which you pay zero tax on. You will pay tax in the US after certain allowances and expenses are deducted. Taxes are based on your net annual profits.

There is a double taxation treaty between the US and the UK, which essentially ensures you do not pay tax twice on the same income. Remember you will have your UK personal allowance too so wont pay tax on your first £8,105 of income.

I hope this helps.

T

Tam

Hi Coleman,

I recently purchased 2 properties in the Jonesboro and Lithonia areas of Atlanta, which are both rented out to private tenants (non HUD). I believe that the Decatur and Riverdale areas of Atlanta also have robust rental demand. I am currently netting just over 12% on each property. I would be happy to introduce you to my broker if you are interested. Let me know.

Regards

Steven
Hi Steve,
I am interested ; would like you please to introduce me to your broker
thanks
Katy

S

stdownes

Hi Katy,

The broker who I used and would strongly recommend is Real Time Investments, and my contact is Javier Valiente. His mobile number is 07901717671. I am not yet an active member yet so am unable to give you the weblink here or his email address. If you do a google search for Real Time Investments you will find the link.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Steven

T

Tam

Hi Katy,

The broker who I used and would strongly recommend is Real Time Investments, and my contact is Javier Valiente. His mobile number is 07901717671. I am not yet an active member yet so am unable to give you the weblink here or his email address. If you do a google search for Real Time Investments you will find the link.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Steven
Thank you steven,
I will let you know
kind regards,
Katy

Drew Drew

Drew Drew

You all should be considering Metro Detroit as well! ROI's of 15%+.

WHY? Metro Detroit area hit hard with unemployment due to declining auto sales, property prices have plummeted to mid 1990 values. Rents though, are increasing due to higher demand caused by foreclosed families. NOW auto industry cannot find enough qualified workers as many left in the downturn and wages are increasing. Increased wages lead to higher rents!

EXAMPLES: (not Detroit CITY properties, these are in what we call the Ring Suburbs)
1) Just rented out property bought for $26k, that only needed $500 in touchups, for $850/month.

2) Another bought for $14k+$4k rehab rented for $750.

3) $18k Acquisition + $5k Rehab -> Rent $950

Contact us for more info!

S

speedy gonzales

Texas or Atlanta....seems a common question but in my opinion it really comes down to what your trying to achieve as an investor. I spent 18 months doing research which included many visits to different US states and cities over that time. Funnily enough it did come down to Atlanta or Dallas/Fort Worth.

For my personal investing objectives I decided on DFW & I have been investing in single family homes in Dallas now for a couple of years. I was fortunate enough to be able to get foreign national finance (which is incredibly hard to get) under great terms and was then able to buy homes on a 30% down payment. I went for A grade type homes and was able to avoid many of the rental area's and lower priced homes (which carry a greater risk). My rent covers the principle, interest, taxes and insurances and leaves me with a monthly surplus.

I know for a fact that the tenant will pay my home off so I own it outright with a low down payment.

N

nikkoncolmel

Atlanta will be the best the rental is also very cheap and it has more number of places to see

M

markhenry

Hi dianemh,
Atlanta would be best location to buy several investment properties for you. Atlanta location is the best way to minimize risks as compared to Texas and also Atlanta ranks as one of the most affordable housing markets over other housing market in the country. Several worldwide corporations are based here.

P

Prestige Property Advisor

Congrats on taking auction to become a Real Estate Investor. I can tell you from experience Atlanta is a very hot market, hot enough that it is very difficult to get DEALS on your own or off the MLS. Atlanta is finding huge amounts of cash from Hedge Funds pouring into the market and buying up everything. Really knocking out the mom and pop investors.

Texas is a always a good choice, especially Dallas and Fort Worth area. Personally, I would go to an area where my cash is going to get a better return and would look in other markets.

I would want at minimal a 12% ROI. How do you get that simple, multiply the purchase price by 2% and that number should be equal too or greater than your rent. For example, a $100,000 house should produce a gross rent of $2000.00.

Once you have your gross rent multiply it by 12 (now you have your yearly gross). Then multiply your yearly gross by .5 and you will have a pretty good idea of your net. Remember half of your gross rent will be lost to various deductions (maintenance, property management, taxes, utilities) DO NOT LET SOMEBODY TELL YOU THAT YOU WILL NET A 100% OF YOUR GROSS. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A PROPERTY NET MORE THAN HALF OF ITS GROSS. It is a fact that half of your income will be

GROSS MONTHLY RENT X 12= GROSS YEARLY X.5= Projected Net / purchase price= ROI.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

belizeproperty

Banned
Hi,

you should invest in taxes. cause here now a days lot of real estate business opportunity are there. Lot of investor came here for invest so i tell you you can invest here.
Belize Property Center

M

Maria2

TAXES or TAXIES?

I'm a bit confused, since you seem to be an Estate agent.

Please explain to me how I invest in taxes.
Or did you mean TAXIES?

Hi,

you should invest in taxes. cause here now a days lot of real estate business opportunity are there. Lot of investor came here for invest so i tell you you can invest here.
Belize Property Center