Terrorism and property in Turkey: what are the risks?

2F2F

Hello,

I recently have started to look at Turkey as possible retirement option for the cheap prices.

But I also read on the news about the risks of terror attacks in Turkey.

From those news , it seems that terrorists could attack places where the number of tourists is high, so I wonder which places those could be and which ones would be safer to live and buy property.

Thank you

07estates

Hello,

I recently have started to look at Turkey as possible retirement option for the cheap prices.

But I also read on the news about the risks of terror attacks in Turkey.

From those news , it seems that terrorists could attack places where the number of tourists is high, so I wonder which places those could be and which ones would be safer to live and buy property.

Thank you
The risk is nearby 0 - i live in Antalya for more then 6 years and there are no problems with terror attacks. The same is in Bodrum, Kusadasi, Didim, Akbük, Alanya.

Turkey is a very safe country and you don't will have any problems in here. If you see something about terrorism in Turkey then it is in towns like Hakkari, Van e.g. .
It is totally seldom that terrorists attack places where the tourists are.
You can believe me if i say that Turkey is safe like Germany, England or other european countries.

So Long

L

Lysos

2F2F,

I note that you are also looking at Egypt. I would say you are far more at risk there than in the areas of Turkey you would probably be looking at. Plus, you have mentioned retirement, which is a lot different from holidaying. for that reason alone I don't think the Red Sea resorts would suit your purpose.

2F2F

The risk is nearby 0 - i live in Antalya for more then 6 years and there are no problems with terror attacks. The same is in Bodrum, Kusadasi, Didim, Akbük, Alanya.

Turkey is a very safe country and you don't will have any problems in here. If you see something about terrorism in Turkey then it is in towns like Hakkari, Van e.g. .
It is totally seldom that terrorists attack places where the tourists are.
You can believe me if i say that Turkey is safe like Germany, England or other european countries.

So Long
Thanks for your reply and your PM ( I had a look at that site and will keep an eye on it.)

I would classify England as high risk actually since London had already been hit.

Plus I'd never live in the UK, not for free! :afraid:

2F2F

2F2F,

I note that you are also looking at Egypt. I would say you are far more at risk there than in the areas of Turkey you would probably be looking at. Plus, you have mentioned retirement, which is a lot different from holidaying. for that reason alone I don't think the Red Sea resorts would suit your purpose.
Yes I'm considering a few countries and Turkey, Egypt are my 2 main preferences at the moment.

Why would not be good Hurghada for retirement, actually, call it "parking" since I'm really old enough to retire...then, a it would be for few years, than I'd move back to Australia after I complete my studies (by distance).

Never heard terror threats to Hurghada or Sharm El Sheik. :afraid:

Thanks

L

Lysos

I suggest you do a bit of research !!!!!. Terrorist attack in Sharm El Sheikh in July 2005 killed at least 88 people !.

The reason I don't think - just my opinion - these places are suited to retirees is that they are aimed fair & square at the tourist market. Do you want to besurrounded by partying holidaymakers making the most of their two weeks of sun, sand & alcohol ?.

2F2F

I suggest you do a bit of research !!!!!. Terrorist attack in Sharm El Sheikh in July 2005 killed at least 88 people !.

The reason I don't think - just my opinion - these places are suited to retirees is that they are aimed fair & square at the tourist market. Do you want to besurrounded by partying holidaymakers making the most of their two weeks of sun, sand & alcohol ?.
I missed that info. Many thanks for that.

Well, you certainly have made some valid points which I will take in consideration now.

Thanks

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
2f2f Can you please reduce the size of the map and repost it.

2F2F

I suggest you do a bit of research !!!!!
Since I was searching now on the Sharm El Sheik attack, then I searched about Turkey as well.....and it does not look good. :(

There are plenty of reports about terror attacks in Turkey like this recent one:

Attack on Christians in Turkey: Three Killed at Bible Publishing Firm - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

Izmir 2008

http://www.cnnturk.com/2008/turkiye/08/21/izmir.konakta.patlama.16.yarali/491075.0/index.html

or Ankara 2007:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Ankara_bombing

Then this advice from the UK Govt. :

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/europe/turkey

For the full list, check:

List of terrorist incidents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, unfortunately, it's a hot place :(

Last edited:
L

Lysos

Assuming you have the right of residence in Australia, why on earth would you want to live in Turkey or Egypt ?. Visit them by all means, especially if you are interested in historical culture, but for civilised living it has to be Australia. If I could get a visa that's where i would go !.

2F2F

Assuming you have the right of residence in Australia, why on earth would you want to live in Turkey or Egypt ?. Visit them by all means, especially if you are interested in historical culture, but for civilised living it has to be Australia. If I could get a visa that's where i would go !.
I know that, but do you know how expensive property has become here???

Even in the country side! :(

Australia is beautiful...just this damn housing bubble is a big problem for first home buyers.

Cheers