Tell me the truth...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sqftmag

<B>Moderator</B> & Senior Member
Have the Brits backed off investing post Madeleine McCann?

Am I the only one who thinks the Portuguese police has messed up?

I don't think that I want to invest in a country with an amateur police force.

Am I wrong?

Tell me.

Michele Andrew

M

manor park

Michele

I must say that is a bit of a TABLOID post. the police did not lose MM, they have had help from top police forces in europe and like a lot crimes they have failed to solve it. This happens in every country.

You think that a property investor for lifestyle or money would not invest in portugal due to this?

How bizarre?

MP

S

sqftmag

Yes it is a bit tabloid, but tabloids get debate going. There is a lot of anti Portuguese police feeling in this country and I am sure that this is affecting visitor numbers. Likewise, it may have a knock-on effect with property buyers.

I think that public mood does effect economies and I cite the queues at Northern Rock as an example of uninformed people acting in emotional response to a situation. If I was selling holidays in Portugal to Brits I'd be worried that I needed to diversify. (For the time being at least.)

Regards
Michele

M

manor park

Michele

I assume that you live in Portugal so from that point of view it is interesting to hear what the local feeling is. I have just purchased in Portugal and can honestly say that it had no bearing whatsoever on my decision.

The policing may not be to as high a standard as the UK but that makes it sound like we have no crime (UK London) but if I had to decide where I would feel safer out late at night it would probably be Portugal every time.

MP

S

sqftmag

Sadly, I do not live in Portugal but in the freezing North of UK. I, too, would feel safer in Portugal than in London. So you win out on two counts!

Enjoy your new property.

Regards
Michele

A

abelhas

the Uk police would probably have arrested the parents for leaving children alone at night...
the portuguese police are great - and most dont see themselves as dirty harry clones!

V

villasluz

Yes sure - the Portuguese police failed with MM, but in reality I think that this type of cases remains unfortunately worldwide unsolved...
Portugal continues to be one of the safest countries within the European Community and all of us can be happy about it.

M

Mamacats

I do not believe the Portuguese police failed with MM but in fact MM's parents failed her!

Diane aka Mamacats
Ragdoll Breeder
Portugal

A

abelhas

as i said, i think portuguese police are brilliant.

yes, crime is low in portugal, despite the amount of poverty here, i feel safer here than anywhere i have ever been. far far far safer than the UK.

unfortunately, people (inc children) do disappear sometimes, all over the world. even if they didnt, i wouldnt leave young children alone at home.

the british press has been completely out of order in its portrayal of portuguese police.

Status
Not open for further replies.