Tax relief for property overseas

T

TomSelby

I'm interested in finding out about the different kinds of tax incentives / tax relief you can get when investing in property abroad, such as capital allowances. I believe you are eligible to get some kind of tax relief if you own a holiday-let in the EU and are a UK tax payer, but is there any other kind of qualifying criteria?

Would be very grateful for any advice.

E

expo09

I'm interested in finding out about the different kinds of tax incentives / tax relief you can get when investing in property abroad, such as capital allowances. I believe you are eligible to get some kind of tax relief if you own a holiday-let in the EU and are a UK tax payer, but is there any other kind of qualifying criteria?

Would be very grateful for any advice.
I've never heard of this. I don't really see why you would get tax relief for being in the luxury position of being able to own two homes.

T

TomSelby

Thanks for replying, expo09. I've since looked into this and found that you can claim capital allowances on your holiday-let. The property must be available for 140 days in a year and actually let for 70 days. I (or the property owner) do have to be a UK tax payer and the property must be in the EU.