Tax on overseas rental income

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amir

Hi Guys,
Can anyone tell me any creative ways of minimizing the tax paid on rent received from overseas properties.
I am thinking of setting up my property business in a tax haven.
Regards

A

andre

Hello Amir
There are plenty of ways to go offshore but you really need to work out the cost of set up versus real gain. Tax avoidance is avoidance so anything you do to get out of paying won't fly. You need a legitimate reason.

A lot of people do it. I have just done some company searches on a few "motivational type" organizations and 2 steps removed they are firmly located in a tax haven trust structure - no assets held that could be touched in a legal action. But that was just being nosy.

Talk to your accountant - depreciation???? surely your paper deductions will be significant if you are investing in NZ up to 4% on build and you can write building off from day one at the value of the building at the time you buy it. eg building and land 200k. land value 50k. your depreciation write off starts at day one at 4% of 150k so that is a possible 6k paper deduction in year 1- don't know how it works in the usa.
Thanks a lots

Status
Not open for further replies.