Target practice with the touts anybody??

L

Lysos

If the product being offered represented fair value for money, it wouldn't be sold like this. Imagine Comet or Currys sales staff having to accost you in the street, then taking you to a 10 hour presentation on washing machines !!!.

C

Cornholio

Here we go again............

The touts are back for the summer
By Bejay Browne
Published on April 22, 2012

TIMESHARE touts were out in force in Paphos over the Easter holidays last week doing what they do best: mercilessly hassling tourists to hand over their cash for a holiday ownership scheme.

One victim was Irene Heymore, a retired school teacher from the UK, on holiday in Cyprus for two weeks.

“I was walking with some friends along the sea front in Paphos, when I was approached by a young man trying to get me to take a scratch card. I didn’t want to, but he was insistent,” she said. “He told me that I’d won a prize and would have to go and collect it from his office, but I’m aware that this is how timeshare touts operate and I refused. He kept badgering me and in the end we walked away. The experience was unpleasant and I could see other touts giving the same treatment to other holiday makers.”

For the Paphos regional board of tourism, Irene’s experience is tiresomely familiar.

“I am very sorry to see that even though we have been trying for more than ten years to clear the streets of this phenomenon, we have not managed to do so successfully,” said a member of the board who wished to remain anonymous.

He said despite endless meetings with government departments and other involved bodies, and although the police make some efforts to clear the streets of touts, the problem is still there.

“Easter seems to be the time these touts begin operating again for the season and I personally saw at least five touts on the sea front in Kato Paphos when I visited the harbour area over the Easter period,” he said.

The street operators, normally foreigners employed for the season, grab visitors passing by, encouraging them to take a scratch card. They then take the unsuspecting visitors to their offices for a presentation and then try to get them to sign a timeshare agreement.

The official said the tourism board isn’t opposed to holiday ownership schemes as a form of tourism, but that they strongly object to the way in which these schemes are being promoted.

“We have had a lot of complaints about these touts and you only have to look at any of the Internet portals such as Trip Advisor to see the number of complaints about this matter.”

Last year a police hotline was set up to receive complaints on matters including touting.

“We need to have a hotline again this year and more needs to be done by the relevant authorities. This situation has been going on for far too long and we need to clear these operators off the streets of Paphos.”

Tougher fines are one option. At present, fines are just 85 euros and operator’s supervisors often collect the fines together and pay them in one go.

“It’s worth their while to continue to operate as they do, as they can easily offset the fines against signing up people to their schemes,” said the official.

He also pointed out that by the time any case against a tout comes to court they have often left the country.

The tourism official says requests to impose fines of 500 euros on touts caught operating on the streets were refused by the government and has called on government departments to check the touts’ employment status, their location of work and so on.

The touts are back for the summer - Cyprus Mail

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
These touts get 150euors for each couple they get to a presentation. Many get 2 or 3 couples per day. So that means they are earning a lot of money. They don't pay any social insurance or tax. Perhaps its time that the Social insurance and the Tax office targeted the companies who employ these scumbags. The penalties for evading tax and not paying social are far more severe than the fines they get for touting.

C

clacher

Touts

As we who have lived and worked in Cyprus are aware theses Touts pray on the tourists , who often leave the island with a very sour taste in their mouths regarding "How much their holiday was spoilt" by these people .

Here to me is a simple remedy and would employ at least a few persons , "On the Spot"fines and not just some paltry amount, €500 a go , then if caught again €1000 and a third time jail , only problem I forsee is the police hardly care about such paltry things and would want to know what was in it for them!!!!!!!

These Touts usually hit couples (man & wife ) as they want to get the deposit straight away ,yes they are taken to a hotel and then put through the third degree until they sign on the dotted line , I have seen it first hand and was totally ashamed ,Cyprus and many other Med countries suffer with this, it maybe Eastern European people on the seafront ....but behind the facade bet your bottom dollar its a Brit at the heart of it...................... I worked for them for one day ...they are ruthless .................are they still going to the same watering hole on Tomb of the Kings?????

Its sad to say but we hear this story every year maybe one year someone will take the lead and do something about it .