Surfing, Diving and Snorkeling in Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RalphJ

The big question: Is there any surf there?

Yes! There is quite a bit of surf. Another thing about Aracaju, on the weekends you literally see between 25-50 people kite surfing. There are more people kite surfing in Aracaju than anywhere else I've ever seen.

D

Dotty

Banned
Do you kite surf?
Yes! There is quite a bit of surf. Another thing about Aracaju, on the weekends you literally see between 25-50 people kite surfing. There are more people kite surfing in Aracaju than anywhere else I've ever seen.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
25-50 means that it is pretty good, similar to some spots in Natal. Ceará around Cambuco is the big spot, similar to Tarifa in Spain where you see 500 kites and windsurfers at a time for a ten km stretch.

So for anyone who has bought around Cambuco be prepared for lots of wind :).

FCZ

FCZ

25-50 means that it is pretty good, similar to some spots in Natal. Ceará around Cambuco is the big spot, similar to Tarifa in Spain where you see 500 kites and windsurfers at a time for a ten km stretch.

So for anyone who has bought around Cambuco be prepared for lots of wind :).
Which ones would be the best ones for snorkling/scuba diving in the NE? Thanks in advance!

J

JMBroad

Seemingly Maracajaú is the place to go snorkeling/diving but didn't have a chance to go when I was out there so it's only hearsay.

D

Dotty

Banned
Hi Micheal,A nice chat about positive sports that can be had in the area with an ice cold beer!
Does this have any relevance to the topic Dotty? There are sites for chat, perhaps that would be more suitable for you.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Which ones would be the best ones for snorkling/scuba diving in the NE? Thanks in advance!
I too have heard about Maracajaú but have never been out.

I have heard that the best in Brazil is Fernando de Noronha, but again I haven't been there.

J

JMBroad

That's true, forgot about Fernando de Noronha, that's supposed to top Maracajaú

D

Dotty

Banned
Yes it is but to get there you have to pay about 1,600 reais and its 40 mins away thats without taxes to step onto the island.It is stunning.Maracajau has a few fish and is a disappointment with poor safety.
I too have heard about Maracajaú but have never been out.

I have heard that the best in Brazil is Fernando de Noronha, but again I haven't been there.

M

michaelbush

Maracajau has a few fish and is a disappointment with poor safety.
I hope they have more than a few fish, it is after all a fishing village community! There are some wrecks as well that can be explored by the experts and some new undersea caverns discovered which is what the experienced divers are interested in.

O

oregon woodsmoke

Of course it is relavant to investing. Vacation rentals work best in areas with activities. The type of activities will help determine who the tenants are and how long the season is.

It's good to know what is available and what is going to attract the tourists.

D

Dotty

Banned
We went snorkeling in Maracaju and it was very disappointing.We took a boat out to the deak which had really bad security.It had too many people on it.The 2 members of staff were on another planet totally unaware what what was going on.We went under swam around and really it was like having a goldfish in the bedroom as there were so few to see.The tourists felt ripped off and they were divers from Australia and were making fun.Of course the oceans are full of magical fish Micheal but on this particular experience it was very disappointing.Sorry..........

A

allisean

Fernando is a world class diving destination so seasoned divers don't mind that its much more expensive than mainland its worth every penny, with restrictions on the number of visitors allowed at any one time being seen as an advantage, and its conservation policy a bonus as you know its still going to be as good in years to come its truely a stunning place

Last edited:
J

JMBroad

The main thing to keep in mind is that there are a huge amount of divers around the world who at home can't see their diving buddy because of the mud in the water or the grime.

I worked on a Scuba diving base for 6 years while I was a student. After my 3000'th dive, I stopped logging them. By that time (I was 21) I was "slightly" bored with the same old dive locations - my colleagues and I had names for all the fish. We knew where all the fish were, when they were most likely to be there and if they weren't there where they were likely to be. Not all the marine life mind you but the sedentary ones like Moray eels, Conger eels, Mero, Groupers, Octopus etc

However (and the point of the story) although we were bored out of our skull and spent our time on land reading magazines and dreaming of dive sites in the Caribbean, Egypt and Australia, every single client who came to the island to dive said it was breathtaking. All of them said that it was one of the best places in Europe to dive. Yet we watched videos and photos of more exotic destinations and thought that it was boring.

So saying "Maracaju has a few fish" may mean that someone from Egypt or Australia or Maldives would consider it a bit dissapointing, but someone from the largest tourism diving communities like the UK, Scandinavia, Germany and Italy would probably be quite impressed.

D

Dotty

Banned
Fernando de Noronha is outstanding and should be visited.Very difficult to walk away feeling ripped off!

Status
Not open for further replies.