Supermarkets and shopping in Egypt

Discussion in 'Egyptian Lounge' started by GM43, Dec 22, 2007.

1. GM43

GM43 Banned

Metro supermarket is now open in Hurghada! Located on the road between Dahar and Sakkala, next to Red Sea Hospital.
    They do delivery as well.

2. Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry <B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>

I've heard there's going to be a new Carrefours between Hurghada and Sahl Hasheesh; anyone else know about this?

3. SHO

SHO Member

Beleive it will be called SENZO

4. SHO

SHO Member

By the way I went to the new Metro. It is very nice and very european, although a little small. From the quick bit of shopping I did I thought it was better than Abu Ashra.

I have also heard that they have affected Abu Ashras Hurghada empire and he has already began cutting the cost of biscuits! :D

5. GM43

GM43 Banned

Yes, they have about 27 stores all over Egypt, also in Sharm.
    They have fresh cheese, meat, chicken and fish. Also warm "ready-to-eat" products, for example: half chicken with rice.
    Some bread is freshly baked in the supermarket.

6. jeremy bright

jeremy bright New Member

there is going to be a Metro supermarket in the Hurghada Village i was told when i was there

7. icywill

icywill New Member

Will they stock electrical items sutch as tv's coffee machines etc.? That would be useful

8. dave99

dave99 New Member

Good location for shopping

The new Metro is a great location for shopper from the Arabia district (just over the hill).

Nice to see lots of shop getting bigger. It beena bit of a problem getting a good range of stuff from the small shops.

The big shop on the south side of Hurghada has been "around" as a shell for a long time - no building work visible last week so still likely to be some time off. It's a very big site with not many apartments etc near it yet.

9. Lsab

Lsab New Member

Carrefour

A friend of mine who works at the International School in El Gouna, tells me that many of her friends go to Cairo once a month just to do their shopping at Carrefour. I went there just over a year ago and it's huge..and cheap! Worth a thought until one opens nearer Hurghada. Maybe several people could get together and organise a monthly trip.
    (By the way, sorry if this isn't an original thought).

10. Hi
    Also one of the places you shouldn't miss City Stars its great its in naser city

11. teekme

teekme New Member

Metro

Went to Metro today. Excellent range of goods, far better than Abu Ashra. Also, they deliver for 3le. This price includes you and your shopping! Great value if you live near the Esplanada.
    Simon

12. metro covers all hurghada not only Esplanada its amazing they have a fish market department which realy offer fresh fish and amazing prices they even cook it for you if interested can u believe it wow we was in need for it

13. dave2u

dave2u New Member

can you buy beer and local spirits and how do prices compare with a bar

14. don\t know but i don't think you can find it there

15. buy Beer

Hi
    As you asked from where to buy beer there is a cafe in El Arosa Square called Tamr Hena you just can go inside and buy it and go out as a supermarket:D

16. teekme

teekme New Member

Beer

You can not buy alcohol in Metro or any other supermarket. You can however buy local beer, wine and spirits from the duty free shop in Villages Road. For international brands you are limited to 3 purchases per passport and these must be purchased within 48 hours of arriving. Hope this (hic) helps!
    Simon

17. dave2u

dave2u New Member

has anyone got the prices for local spirits and beer at these shops as there is not much compatition would be interesting to see what they are charging

18. teekme

teekme New Member

Duty Free Shop

The prices in the duty free shop in Sekalla tend to be $1 less per item than in the Esplanada duty free shop. However, there are hardly any local brands in the Sekalla shop. There is a better selection of local brands in the Esplanada duty free shop.The price of the big cans of Stella are 7Le.
    The prices of the electrical equipment in the shop next to the duty free shop in Sekalla seem to be expensive compared to elseware.
    Simon

19. queenie40something

queenie40something Senior Member

20. johnwayne

johnwayne Banned

do you know if they sell microwaves - thanks